cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential bidder asking for IMEI number?

A potential bidder has just emailed me asking for the IMEI number of the phone I have up for auction. Isn't that the number used to unlock it? Are they checking to see if it's stolen? That's just info you don't need unless you win the auction - which of course they'll find out when they get it anyway.

So why would they want it? Any ideas?

Message 1 of 185
latest reply
184 REPLIES 184

Re: Potential bidder asking for IMEI number?

@lightbeyond wrote:

... But you might want to call AT&T and verify that the phone you currently possess is not under any type of contract/payment agreement. (There's a chance they may not be able to tell you, for account security reasons, but it's worth trying.)

This is where CheckMend comes in. I run all of my phone purchases through this (hence how I became involved with this thread, after a seller refused to give me the number even after I paid).

I strongly recommend using this or something like it: www.checkmend.com.

I was SO EXCITED to see this post, I wasn't aware of any companies that would provide that much info on a phone. I decided to play guinea pig and buy a single report, using the IMEI of a phone I have in my possession that I know is not able to be activated on several networks due to someone defaulting on a payment plan. Alas, CheckMend failed to provide me with the correct info, and told me the phone was free and clear. So did Swappa. However, if you go directly to Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile or Sprint's website, and plug in the same IMEI, they'll tell you either the number is invalid, or can't be activated on their network.

It just sucks the way the secondary phone market it handled.

Message 121 of 185
latest reply

Try the swappa or gazelle sites or any of the other checkers mentioned in this thread. Most will check for free without registering. Most often they don't get the carriers right but can tell a lot about the phone activation status.
Message 122 of 185
latest reply

I was SO EXCITED to see this post, I wasn't aware of any companies that would provide that much info on a phone. I decided to play guinea pig and buy a single report, using the IMEI of a phone I have in my possession that I know is not able to be activated on several networks due to someone defaulting on a payment plan. Alas, CheckMend failed to provide me with the correct info, and told me the phone was free and clear. So did Swappa. However, if you go directly to Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile or Sprint's website, and plug in the same IMEI, they'll tell you either the number is invalid, or can't be activated on their network.

It just sucks the way the secondary phone market it handled.

Seriously?!! I'm shocked to hear that. I've only ever been caught out once (before I started using CheckMend) and when I tried that IMEI they caught it.

They do guarantee their report, though I can't vouch for the small print, but it's reassuring to think that you would in theory be compensated if that was to happen with a phone that you purchased.

Message 123 of 185
latest reply

You are missing the point of getting the imei # BEFORE purchasing a phone . It's to make sure that is not lost or stolen which would make it a paper weight if u buy it . IF anything could be illegaly done with an imei # then such a large corporation like Apple would NOT put it right on the back of an iphone where anybody can see it . LOL
Message 124 of 185
latest reply

Thank you very much for this information. We are trying to sell my girlfriend's iphone 6 right now and someone bought it immediately (within 60 seconds) and is now requesting this information. From this forum it looks like plenty of people are giving away these numbers via email and I am not comfortable doing this. This was very helpful. 

Message 125 of 185
latest reply

o

Message 126 of 185
latest reply

IMEI is just the serial number, Its no different then a barcode. They are checking to see if its stolen and its also possible they are checking to see if their provider can use the phone.
Make America Brilliant Again
Message 127 of 185
latest reply

A buyer should never purchase any used or like new cell phone until they verify it isn't stolen or blacklisted.  Of course, if you're buying for parts, it doesn't matter.  But if you expect the phone to work, the buyer must check the IMEI#/ESN to ensure they're not being fooled.  All sellers should include this in the ebay ad or be willing to give it out on request. Otherwise, buyer beware.

Message 128 of 185
latest reply

I read your post after already giving this information. How do I know if I've been compromised?

Message 129 of 185
latest reply

your so wrong, the IMEI number is not the actual brain of the phone, it is the motherboard which just happens to have that as is unique identifying number. If the phone is reported stolen they are reporting the brain, the motherboard which is what makes the phone actually work is gone, most likely the entire phone was stolen but you can change out all the parts outside of the motherboard of a stolen phone and it will work if you have a motherboard that has a clean IMEI. The motherboards cost the same as an entire phone, so no purchaser would get any benefit that would harm the seller by being provided with the IMEI number. If the phone is blacklisted its no good it is stolen or needs to be paid for to the company as it was not paid for, so providing the IMEI does not magically produce a motherboard for a phone, that is ridiculous to think that providing that number would ever cause any problems to a seller ever.
Message 130 of 185
latest reply

I am a potential bidder right now on eBay I would like to know the phone has no issues up front if I wanted a surprise I'll let em debit my account and find out later there is issues with the phone it is proof u r selling a good phone before I buy it

Message 131 of 185
latest reply

I had a winning bidder ask me for the IMEI number, since he won the phone, I gave it to them and then they did not pay. This was our personal phone used by AT&T. So it was not stolen and I had arready replaced it and set it to factory settings. I hope he did dnot use that IMEI number for something.

Message 132 of 185
latest reply

First file an unpaid item case with eBay, then call Apple and tell them that your mildly retarded red-headed stepchild stole your phone, they will understand and send you an Android. Don't forget to smash the sheeple phone.
Message 133 of 185
latest reply

As a potential solution that could help both the buyers and sellers protect their investments, a seller could post images of the partial IMEI and the IMEI search results also with it being partially covered.

For instance snapping a photo of the IMEI on the device itself, covering everything but the last half of the code. Searching the IMEI online to show it is clean, screenshot those results, and again censor the first half of the code out. As long as the last half of the code matches in both pictures, this could help to show the IMEI is clean.

This might look fishy to a potential buyer, but a seller with high feedback will be able to respond to IMEI requests stating that they showed it is clean. A seller with negative or no feedback will still have issues gaining trust with thise potential buyers regardless. Pair this method up with assuring the buyer that they are protected by eBay's buyer protection policies, should help to bridge the gap on both ends.

Message 134 of 185
latest reply

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Mobile_Equipment_Identity#Structure_of_the_IMEI_and_IMEI...

According to this Wikipedia page, digits 9-14 in the code are specific to the phone serial. Digits 1-8 are based on the origin and model of the device; so anything in 1-8 could potentially be filled in by a scammer doing some research.

If you plan to censor only a portion of the code, make sure at least 3 of the digits between 9-14 are censored. Since those are specific to the serial of the device itself. Like so:
########****###

Having only 1 or 2 digits censored could leave a venerability to brute-forcing number combinations to fill in those missing digits. Having at least 3 would make the brute-forcing method a time sink for a scammer trying to get an IMEI, that should deter them from trying.

Leave the last 3-4 digits of the IMEI viewable so the buyer can identify it as a match.

Message 135 of 185
latest reply