cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential bidder asking for IMEI number?

A potential bidder has just emailed me asking for the IMEI number of the phone I have up for auction. Isn't that the number used to unlock it? Are they checking to see if it's stolen? That's just info you don't need unless you win the auction - which of course they'll find out when they get it anyway.

So why would they want it? Any ideas?

Message 1 of 185
latest reply
184 REPLIES 184

Re: Potential bidder asking for IMEI number?

A couple years ago I worked in a call center that took customer service calls for a major carrier. The majority of calls were people wanting to activate phones. I was amazed how many people couldn't activate their phones because they bought it online & the IMEI was coming up lost/stolen or already activated on another line. It made buying cell phones online look like the worst idea ever.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
Message 76 of 185
latest reply

I dont know about you, but I'd like to know if a phone is stolen or blocked before I buy it!

Message 77 of 185
latest reply

I am a buyer trying to buy an iphone and my local Verizon store told me that I needed the IMEI # to make sure that the phone could be activated on my account with Verizon.  It seems shady to me that a seller wouldn't provide it.  It seems that this number is used to identify carriers.

Message 78 of 185
latest reply

How can an iPhone be cloned using an IMEI number only, can anyone tell me? Because from what I understand, it's very difficult to clone any GSM phone without putting some kind of physical 'man in the middle' device between the SIM card and the phone iteself. Otherwise, anyone could go and look at a shop window and copy IMEIs from iPhone boxes, surely? Or even just make a load of numbers up and validate them on iCloud lock checker.

I've just had a row with a seller from whom I won an iPhone and I reqested the IMEI before paying, as recommended, so that I could get a CheckMend report. They flatly refused to give me the number - even after I'd paid! They even said that they'd been talking to Ebay who advised them not to give the number out. I'm very annoyed, I've been an Ebay member since 2002 and have 100% positive feedback from buying and selling.

Message 79 of 185
latest reply

You can obtain the IMEI number when you receive it.  You have 45 days to determine whether the phone is good or not.  Unfortunately, mobile phone "cloning" has made not providing the IMEI a necessary requirement.  Thank the crooks for making buyers and sellers EBay-lives much more safety conscious.

Message 80 of 185
latest reply

Thanks, yes I realise that the Ebay money back guarantee covers this, however in the event of a problem you're potentially without the money you paid for the phone for weeks, not to mention the trouble of repackaging and posting the phone back to the seller.

I still don't have an answer to my question of exactly how a modern GSM phone can be cloned. I haven't heard any solid evidence of this happening, only hearsay. It's not hard to find IMEI numbers if you want them, so even if it were possible by having only a number, why would someone go to the lengths of buying (or pretending to buy) a phone on Ebay just to obtain a number? I think it's more likely that a fraudster would purchase the phone, swap out the innards with another blocked phone, and then return it for money back - all making the point of not giving out the IMEI a moot one.

Message 81 of 185
latest reply

Message 82 of 185
latest reply

@lightbeyond wrote:

I still don't have an answer to my question of exactly how a modern GSM phone can be cloned. I haven't heard any solid evidence of this happening, only hearsay. It's not hard to find IMEI numbers if you want them, so even if it were possible by having only a number, why would someone go to the lengths of buying (or pretending to buy) a phone on Ebay just to obtain a number? I think it's more likely that a fraudster would purchase the phone, swap out the innards with another blocked phone, and then return it for money back - all making the point of not giving out the IMEI a moot one.

Finally, someone that makes sense.

There is a TON of misinformation and fear-mongering going on surrounding the IMEI issue, and I've recently ran into trouble looking at buying a phone myself. So, I'm going to break it down:

You cannot, read: CANNOT, clone a phone using only the ESN/IMEI number.

"Cloning" a phone is something that's actually way more effort than it's worth these days - it's almost never done anymore, given the tools carriers have put in place to catch it, and it's certainly not done as easily as it's being portrayed. Cloning a phone requires hacking a device to mirror a currently active, in-use account, SO THAT IT CAN BE USED for calls, and data on someone else's dime. If the phone you're trying to sell does not have an active SIM card in it, or is not tied to an active phone account, CONGRATULATIONS, your phone cannot be cloned. "Cloning" a phone is not just cloning the device - it does not erase a bad ESN and replace it with a good one. It mimicks someone else's active account so that you can run up the bill with all of those calls to Pakistan before Verizon figures it out. And these days, they figure it out pretty darn fast - 24 hours max from the first use, that phone will be disabled. It's easier and less effort to just steal a phone outright.

You need at least the IMEI number AND the MIN (phone number) and/or SIM card, to clone a phone. You CANNOT obtain a MIN (phone number) from the IMEI number alone. If you don't give out your phone number, or give out an active SIM card, you are in no danger of having your IMEI "stolen".

Here's a very simple article that lays it out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_cloning  (Yes, I know, it's Wikipedia, but this article is accurate.)

Think about it - IMEI numbers are posted prominently on the packaging of any phone, and are easily retrievable from any device itself. If all you need is the IMEI number, and some non-working phone to transfer it to, what's to stop people from stealing the numbers on the packaging at cell phone stores? How about a handler intercepting a large shipment of phones, but just writing down the numbers? Yeah, no. What would stop an unscrupulous buyer from simply completing the sale, getting this information from the phone itself, then returning the item "SNAD" for a full refund? Is this happening? I'm sure there are invalid SNAD returns all of the time, but this is not one of the reasons.

I get it - your uncle's cousin's brother's son gave out their phone's IMEI, and their phone was "cloned". Uh huh. Customer service reps have told you not to give out the IMEI number, for "security reasons". Either they, too, are misinformed, or you're misunderstanding what they mean by "security reasons" - it's THEIR security they're worried about. An IMEI tied to an active account COULD be a piece of information used to gain access to your account, but is this phone you're selling tied to your active account? No? Then what are you worried about?

If your answer to my last question was "yes, it's tied to my active account" - buyers should be wary of YOU.

The reason prospective buyers ask for the IMEI, is in an attempt to verify that the phone has not been "blacklisted", which can be done by the carrier as a result of one of two things: the phone being reported lost or stolen, or the original owner fails to fulfill a financial agreement (contract or payment plan). The first one can be verified easily through multiple sources using just the ESN/IMEI number. The second one, however, is often difficult to verify – even with the IMEI - and is how buyers are getting scammed by sellers in this secondary cell phone market. You can use the IMEI number of a phone to verify that the device is in good standing now, but there’s nothing to say that someone won’t renege on their contract, or payment plan, and stop paying their bill a week, a month, even six months from now. It doesn’t matter that they’re using a different phone on that account, or that the phone you bought from them has long been activated on your separate account – their deal was made contingent on the value of THAT PHONE, the one you bought from them, and you could find yourself with a useless paperweight.

Giving out the IMEI number on a phone is not the way sellers get scammed – it’s buying and reselling phones you don’t know the origin of.

This is a huge problem, for buyers and sellers alike. If you’re selling your own previous personal phone, that’s one thing, but if you are buying and reselling phones from other 3rd parties, you might have no way of knowing if the original owner might one day get that phone blacklisted. This is an active scam that is happening right now – sell a good condition, clean ESN/IMEI phone to an unsuspecting person, they’ll activate the phone and use it while the original owner racks up a bill on their account, the original owner walks away from paying the bill, and 2-3 months down the line, the phone gets deactivated – permanently. The fact that it takes 2-3 months is how the scam gets carried out - carriers won’t blacklist the phone immediately due to non-payment, they’ll send a bill, then a late notice, then they’ll send collectors after you – deactivating the phone is a last resort, “okay, they’re not paying” punishment that gets handed down to whoever happens to be using the phone at the time. A lot of people don't realize this, and will leave positive feedback shortly after buying a phone, and seeing that it works - which means just because a cell phone seller's rating is stellar, doesn't mean they haven't had unhappy customers. Ebay’s return policy is only 30 days. Sure, you can fight it with Paypal, but they might not back you.

Give out the IMEI number all you want – it’ll help you make a sale, and give the buyer peace of mind. However, it’s a false sense of security – you can’t predict the future behavior of the original owner of the phone.

The takeaway: it’s not safe to buy OR sell used cell phones on ebay. Or anywhere else.

Not until carriers change the way they handle non-payment of accounts…and this particular system is very friendly to their bottom line. (You have to buy a new phone from them, since the secondary market can’t be trusted.) So, yeah, I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

Message 83 of 185
latest reply

Well said, and thank you. +1
Message 84 of 185
latest reply

The only person that makes any sense in this entire thread...
Message 85 of 185
latest reply

I asked a seller for the IMEI number since the phone doesn't have a phone proivder. I have Boost and Boost only uses their phones. I wanted the IMEI number to see if Metro has that phone under them so that I could purchase the phone and activate it safely after purchasing the phone. I'm not about to spend $480 for a phone and then have it not activate to the company I'm moving to. 
Many buyers want it to activate it and fool the seller. But like others, similar to myself, just want to see if it's worth buying or not. Saving myself and the seller some time. 

Message 86 of 185
latest reply

Your reason in your second paragraph is my situation right now! YES! I just want the number to see if it goes under the provider. I don't have time to "clone" or do illegal activity to it. That's more trouble and money for me. No thank youuuuuu lol.
Message 87 of 185
latest reply

If someone is using Ting (a Sprint provider, great price and service), they need the imei to find out if the phone is compatible with the Ting network and at what speed 3G or 4G.  If they don't find out the IMEI until after they buy the phone and it's not compatible, it's a waste!

Message 88 of 185
latest reply

I sold an iphone 4s this month, I did give the IMEI number, I received the phone back in the mail yesterday.  What is up with that?  It said the box needed .60 more cents.  But, it also said something about the NJ address.  I called EBAY, they said do not return the money, I do not think that they were telling me everything I needed to know after this post of messages.  Any and all help would be great!

Message 89 of 185
latest reply

Wouldn't YOU want to know if something was stolen before wasting your time bidding on it? My phone was stolen and reported, using the IMEI number. It sounds like maybe you're trying to unload a stolen phone to an unsuspecting bidder. Otherwise why not just give them the info? They can't use it for another phone. All they can do is check if it's stolen. Before my phone was stolen it wouldn't have occurred to me to check an IMEI number. 

Saying "they'll find out if they get it anyway" would really make me wary of buying from you. Who wants to buy something and wait til they go to activate it only to find out it's stolen? Your attitude is puzzling, to say the least.

@j_finderskeepers_k wrote:

A potential bidder has just emailed me asking for the IMEI number of the phone I have up for auction. Isn't that the number used to unlock it? Are they checking to see if it's stolen? That's just info you don't need unless you win the auction - which of course they'll find out when they get it anyway.

So why would they want it? Any ideas?

Message 90 of 185
latest reply