cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential bidder asking for IMEI number?

A potential bidder has just emailed me asking for the IMEI number of the phone I have up for auction. Isn't that the number used to unlock it? Are they checking to see if it's stolen? That's just info you don't need unless you win the auction - which of course they'll find out when they get it anyway.

So why would they want it? Any ideas?

Message 1 of 185
latest reply
184 REPLIES 184

Re: Potential bidder asking for IMEI number?

To all the eBay buyers reading this that think sellers should give them the MEID or any other number.

Pull out your current cell phone, locate yor MEID, and post your MEID number right here right now.  I would like the number for furture reference.

No, you say?  Why not?

Well, never mind, because if you bought your phone from a seller on eBay willing to give out the number, I may already have it.

Message 61 of 185
latest reply

This is obviously a lose-lose proposition designed to stop people from selling their phones leaving only carriers to sell phones.  The law requires any network operator to perform a Financial Eligibility Check called "FEC" using the phones MEID. The ESN may be clear because it was not reported as lost or stolen, but the FEC identifies if the original owner owes money on their contract.  SPRINT is notorious for hodling very tightly on to the newest model phones in their MEID data base.

Yes, poeple decide they want a different phone before they've paid their current one off but their account balance is not zero.

So in order to activate a phone on another SPRINT network, say with Ting or Straight talk, it must pass the FEC using the MEID. If it does not pass - activation is illegal according to the law. The only way Ting and others wil activate the phone is if "THE ORIGINAL ACCOUNT HOLDER" calls them to allow them to contact the original wireless carrier for that phone. We know that eBay sellers rarely have the original account holder's name or account number.

So for sellers to safely sell phones, the listing should include "Clean ESN" and "MEID passes FEC check from Ting, Straight talk, Swappa" . This way the buyer knows that it will activate on their network. 

The wireless companies have made it more difficult to sell phones because it eats into their margins. The only way to sell a phone now is to guarantee it will activate plus that it was not lost or stolen. I really expect that eBay shoud make this a requirement for all phone listings, but then eBay loses revenue because of all the bad phones out there.

I hope this is clear.

Message 62 of 185
latest reply

uhm, also trying to do so (use an IMEI you dont own) is a violation of federal telecommunications laws.

no reason not to share it.

im about to miss a purchase because the seller doesnt want to confirm.

and i dont want to buy a stolen phone.

Message 63 of 185
latest reply

well whoever cloned that IMEI is going to jail.

if they cloned it to a burner that phone will be dead in couple days anyways.

Carriers have a procedure to reconcile a situation like that.

granted it will take a week, but it will get done.

i guess it is a balance between the buyer and seller who wants to take a risk.

but good to know about ebay policy, thanks for sharing that.

Message 64 of 185
latest reply

if you bought on eBay then you must have a PayPal account? Call PayPal ASAP they cover anything and WILL refund you promptly. You have 5 months AFTER the sale to file a claim or dispute!
Message 65 of 185
latest reply

"So for sellers to safely sell phones, the listing should include "Clean ESN" and "MEID passes FEC check from Ting, Straight talk, Swappa" . This way the buyer knows that it will activate on their network. "

With all due respect, that's a very naive if not dumb idea.  I say that respectfcully.  If Ebay were to require people to post their unique phone ID's on their site, it would become a honey pot for thieves and hackers.  

Remember, these are criminals who don't have any regards for the law to begin with.  It doesn't matter what is or isn't illegal.  What matters to a thief is what they can get at of value easily, and turn it around to a buyer before someone catches them.  Hacking an MEID isn't illegal until someone figures it out, and by then it's nothing but a big hassle trying to get your money back from some insurance plan.  So no, this is a very bad idea, and extrmely niave on your part.  Respectfully

I've sold 2 phones on ebay without a single issue.  I had about 10 bidders on each phone, and only 2 out of those 20 bidders asked for the MEID.  I offered to contact their potential provider directly, and I did for one of the buyers.  Although, I certainly didn't have to do that.  I had plenty of other interested buyers.  I did it out of courtesy because it wasn't a big deal to me.  That buyer lost the bid on the first phone, but won the second I had for sale. 

Never leave your valuables unattended, be it a wallet sitting on a picnic bench in a park, or your digital credentials on any device.  It's just not a smart move. 

The laws do not matter to criminals.   They will find a way to steal what they want if there is money in it, and sell it to someone before anyone notices.  Both buyers and sellers would get hosed from a policy like that.

I would say probably 95% of the phone transactions on Ebay are perfectly safe.  Like anything in life though, there is a risk.  The higher the reward the higher the risk.  The reward here is a very affordable smart phone of decent quality that a buyer can own outright without being bound to a carrier for 2 years.  There's always going to be a risk somewhere though.  The best you can do is rely on buyer protection, which is pretty darn good on ebay and paypal.  You also have to trust the seller, so read the reviews, and look at the number of sales someone has and rating.  If they've sold +100 items and are pushing a 97%+, I would say odds are very slim anything bad is going to happen with the transaction.  Me personally, I've only sold about a dozen items, and purchased about 30 or so over the years.  I have a 100% rating.  If I were a buyer looking at my stats though, I would maintain a little caution because my selling record isn't very high.  I would chat em a little to feel them out before placing a bid.   

The moral of the story, use your head.  Don't be naive.  Don't trust anyone blindly.  Make sure your purchase is protected in some manner.   And never, never, never give out your MEID if you're a seller.  Tell the buyer to pound sand if they insist.  It's for everyones protection. 

Message 66 of 185
latest reply

**bleep** I'm scared now someone asked me for it and i gave it to them... What if they do that I'm out of a sale!!! I'm freaking out now is their any way to stop them or the process or know if they clone it or anything or do I just wait and see if the sale goes bad...
Message 67 of 185
latest reply

Sorry, but I went to ENgland with my unlocked iPhone5 while my son went twice with a Galaxy S5 and then with an LG G4 - all he had to do was pop in a new SIM and he could activiate his phone on that British network with no problems.

Message 68 of 185
latest reply

What's the extent of eBay protection when you get a phone with bad ESN? I can see filing a dispute for "item not as described". I've done it with other items and eBay generally rules in buyer's favor especially with copies of messages exchanged with seller. Is refund contingent on returning the item and buyer paying shipping?
Message 69 of 185
latest reply

Actually Money Back Guarantee states "If the item is damaged or not as described, sellers must cover return shipping costs." Seems like as a buyer you are theoretically fully protected.

Message 70 of 185
latest reply

even that isnt a guarantee though. i've bought a 'new' phone from radio shack for a gift, and turned out that it showed up as activated before.  i was traveling at the time so it became a huge headache to get it returned, since RS thought that I cloned the serial or something.

theres less of a risk buying at a brick & mortar store, but the risk is still there.  i would rather go through the ebay/paypal claim system than deal with radio shack customer service again

Message 71 of 185
latest reply

why doesnt ebay have something to verify phone ESNs? of 3rd party sites like swappa and the other one mentioned can do it, why not ebay?

just have the seller enter in the IMEI when they are making the listing, do not store that information, but give the auction a tag of some sort to show that it has been verified as good? 

of course there are always ways around it, like entering the IMEI of another working phone, but it would make some buyers and sellers feel a bit  more secure.  regardless, every phone i have sold on here, there is always at least one or two buyers with little to no feedback asking for the IMEI or ESN.  i never give it out, and they always go into the ' well i wont buy it if i dont know its good' tough luck.  other people will buy it and see that it is a good, working phone with a clean ESN.  its not worth the headache and hassle of risking a cloning issue

Message 72 of 185
latest reply

Hi

Where is the IMEI number, Its my dad's phone, If it is on the box then no, and the phone does not switch on so cannot get it from there.  I can 100% guarantee the phone is not stolen or a fake it was bought from 02

Thanks

Message 73 of 185
latest reply

it is under the battery
Message 74 of 185
latest reply

The problem is a buyer can't check to see if the phone is legit, stolen or locked.  Also, the buyer can't check to see if the phone will work on your chosen network.  I can see not posting the number, but not giving it is a GREAT reason to NOT buy a phone from a seller.

If the seller won't provide the number, there is no way I'm going to buy it.  Just sayin.

Message 75 of 185
latest reply