cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential bidder asking for IMEI number?

A potential bidder has just emailed me asking for the IMEI number of the phone I have up for auction. Isn't that the number used to unlock it? Are they checking to see if it's stolen? That's just info you don't need unless you win the auction - which of course they'll find out when they get it anyway.

So why would they want it? Any ideas?

Message 1 of 185
latest reply
184 REPLIES 184

Re: Potential bidder asking for IMEI number?

I is also a way to check the phones ability to work on a network. Straight Talks website asks for that and yor zip code then tells you if the pphone will work on their lines. I asked a seller and he said it would work then told me to call Straight Talk and verify it works well but wouldn't give me the number so I just move on to the next seller!

Message 16 of 185
latest reply

I never give out this number ahead of time.  I sell plenty of phones, and invite the shopper to check my feedback to see if I have a history of misrepresenting my items.  I also remind them that they are protected by ebay protection policies.  If they are still uncomfortable, I am totally fine with them shopping with another seller.  

If the person who asks for the IMEI does clone it, and I don't realize it before I've sold it to another buyer, the buyer gets a phone with a bad IMEI, I'm out the sale, and now I have a parts phone.  And now the other person I sold it to has to go through the hassle of a return.  I'd rather just protect myself and my customers in the first place.

Message 17 of 185
latest reply

I see some sellers posting pictures of the phone displaying the IMEI number.  I'm hesitant to bid on that phone because what if someone clones it before it gets shipped to me. Do you think that is a valid concern and I should avoid bidding on those phones?

Message 18 of 185
latest reply

Great comment, jsrusco. Thank you for your help!!
Message 19 of 185
latest reply

@lavendergert wrote:

I see some sellers posting pictures of the phone displaying the IMEI number.  I'm hesitant to bid on that phone because what if someone clones it before it gets shipped to me. Do you think that is a valid concern and I should avoid bidding on those phones?

I would like to know this as well

Message 20 of 185
latest reply

Thanks for your enlightment.however,i fall victim of this cloning last week.someone ask for my iphone4 imei number and i gave it to him.When i checked back my esn on swappa.com.it shows that i owe money on it but when i called att they said no and that i fell victim of cloning.What do you think i can do about the phone.Your advise will be appreciated.Thanks

Message 21 of 185
latest reply

It should be noted that there is an eBay page that recommends you put the MEID number right in your listing.  I looked at that page today.  But my research said giving it out was an avenue for fraud, so I have declined two requests.  I also talked to an eBay customer service rep today and he said it could be used for fraudulent purposes.  I then pointed out the contradiction and he said they'd look into that.  Not holding my breath.  But this CSR looked up the first person who sent me the request and he could see that the person had asked a number of people for the MEID on the phone they were selling "because he's serious about buying a phone."  I said "Or he's serious about finding someone who will give it out and then using it for fraudulent purposes."  I mean, really, why did this CSR think he could read the intent behind the requests?

Message 22 of 185
latest reply

Just happened to me, potential buyer asking for IMEI #. I won't give it, I believe it's a scam. If the buyer is unhappy with the phone he is covered by ebay protection, but the seller is not covered. I'm not going to do it.
Message 23 of 185
latest reply

Yeah, I'm serious about buying and have had a few sellers provide the numbers and others who don't. I understand the whole fear of fraud, but really, this makes it a loss on both sides. There's no way I'm waiting for a shipment to then find that the seller lied to me, and have to go through the whole refund process. That's NOT an easy process, besides, if I'm giving someone my hard earned money, I better get the correct item the first time around. I decided I simply won't deal with them and am better served spending a little more and getting one at Best Buy or somewhere else.

Message 24 of 185
latest reply

All the risk is on the seller here. I will not give out this information that will brick my phone. There are too many criminals out there
Message 25 of 185
latest reply

I just sold a sprint 8gb iphone and seller wanted serial number after payment was received so I gave it to them after payment. Now he wants partial refund stating "I was going to trade in this phone for my service but it is no longer allowing me too. That was why I was urgently trying get the serial number."  He wants $60 out of the $77 I received.  My listing said no refunds, so should I refund or ship it and tell him no?

Message 26 of 185
latest reply

i have asked for the number because you can plug it in on straight talk . com to be sure the phone will transfer and you can use them as a carrier.  its just to be sure i'm not purchasing a phone i won't be able to use.  

Message 27 of 185
latest reply

Keep the phone you love.

Get Straight Talk service on the phone you already have with the Bring Your Own Phone program. Follow the 2 steps below to check if your phone is compatible with Straight Talk.

Find the phone's IMEI, MEID or ESN number by any of the following ways:

Dialing*#06#on your phone

Going into Settings on your phone.For iPhones:
  • Settings
  • General
  • About.
For Androids:
  • Settings
  • About Phones
  • Status.

Remove yourphone's batteryand look in thebattery compartment.

Enter the following information. IMEI/MEID/ESN:Of the phone that you want to use. IMEI/MEID/ESN must be either 8, 11, 14, 15, 16, or 18 characters.ZIP CODE:Where the phone will be used. Please enter a 5 digit ZIP Code. EXAMPLE: 12345

Message 28 of 185
latest reply

Umm, $20 - $30 dollars to ship the phone back to the seller? You've got to be kidding me right? Just so that you know for future reference, you are not required to ship the phone back to the seller with overnight shipping. Sending the phone back via priority mail is more than adequate and acceptable. Just make sure that you have tracking so that you have proof that it was delivered. USPS has flat rate boxes and envelopes, if it fits, it ships...so absolutely no reason for it to cost you $30.00 dollars to ship a phone back to the seller. Granted, if you choose to spend $30 dollars on overnight shipping in hopes of getting your $60 dollars back a few days quicker, well that's completely on you. I personally wouldn't spend an extra $25.00 dollars on shipping just to try and get a $60 dollar refund a few days sooner.

Message 29 of 185
latest reply

Almost $60.00 dollars to return phones twice? I don't believe you mentioned exactly how many phones it was that you purchased that you now had to pay to ship back to the seller? Did you purchase a lot of phone and you had to ship all of them back? Are you in the United States? If you are there's no reason why it should have cost you more than a combined total of about $20.00 dollars (max) to ship two phones back to the seller. Unless you maybe purchased them from overseas and also had other customs fee's, etc. that you had to pay?
Message 30 of 185
latest reply