cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential bidder asking for IMEI number?

A potential bidder has just emailed me asking for the IMEI number of the phone I have up for auction. Isn't that the number used to unlock it? Are they checking to see if it's stolen? That's just info you don't need unless you win the auction - which of course they'll find out when they get it anyway.

So why would they want it? Any ideas?

Message 1 of 185
latest reply
184 REPLIES 184

Re: Potential bidder asking for IMEI number?

gporpc
Guide

The serial number is needed to unlock a phone.

But also to check to see if reported stolen.

Many sellers get loads of phones, some stolen.

Message 2 of 185
latest reply

I asked a question similar to another seller. They wouldn't give it out because they were afraid of "cloning" (on a prepaid phone) I had my AT&T phone number stolen that way. They saw that the phone was being used in three locations at once and verified where I was. I had to get a new phone after that. The crooks that do that don't use prepaid/pay as you go phone.

The only reason I asked about the number is because in the last few months I have purchased 4 phones on ebay through different sellers that all swore the phones were Sprint or Boost and after I got them I found out otherwise, one even had Verizon labels on it. By having the number you can contact the provider to verify that it is okay and usable. I will not buy a cellphone w/o more than just someone's word. Having to pay return shipping because someone else messed up or misled you gets old!

You can have a bad meid if it was stolen and reported as such, if a former owner reported it as stolen, if someone sent out for a replacement phone and didn't sent the old one out or if it's returned to the store they purchased it from and it wasn't deactivated correctly. There can also be up to a 4 month window from previous owner to new owner that you can not change the account with some phones i.e. The phones that are not deactivated are still considered attached to an active account. Those meids are not available to be registered to a new owner unless you have the six-digit pin the original owner set up. I know Virgin/Boost/Sprint will not release those phones to be set up on new accounts, because all they know is somebody bought a phone, paid for the first 30 days of service and then didn't "top up" or pay for the next 30 days.

Message 3 of 185
latest reply

nerdslogic
Enthusiast

Personally I wouldn't provide IMEI or MEID until phone was sold. That is me though....once sold I would provide it (they are going to get the phone and see it anyway) so they could "ease" their concerns.

Message 4 of 185
latest reply

mechekelsi
Enthusiast

Wouldn't that be the same as me saying the iPhone I'm selling has a bad esn#?

Message 5 of 185
latest reply

I asked a question similar to another seller. They wouldn't give it out because they were afraid of "cloning" (on a prepaid phone) I had my AT&T phone number stolen that way. They saw that the phone was being used in three locations at once and verified where I was. I had to get a new phone after that.

That's the reason why it's not a good idea for sellers to give out the IMEI/MEID/ESN before the phone is sold and payment is received.

Message 6 of 185
latest reply

I have ben trying to find out this information as well I have a verizon phone and account want to upgrade my phone and can't with verizon they tell me if I can't get the IMEI number or MEID number from a seller then the seller must have stolen it or something is wrong with the phone and it will not work if you are not willing to give this inforation anymoer your  not gonna have buyers if all cell phone companies are telling them that it means it's a bad phone if they don't want to share I understand people screw things up for everyone but if I am buying a cell phone and my contract can't use it then it's useless and what was the point in me buying it in the first place? I asked several sellers for information and got nothing it would have been nice to at least get a response like I am uncomfortable giving this information and discuss why I was even asking for it I 'm sure if the seller is meaning no harm and the buyer is meaning no harm then an agreement could be made like buy it then give them the info before sending it and refunding if they can't use it before mailing it to them to help cut costs.

Message 7 of 185
latest reply

I was told by my cell phone company if a seller didn't or wouldn't give me the IMEI or MEID numbers then it was a bad phone or stolen and not to purchase it I have been shopping for weeks now can't find anyone willing to help even a little with this information. Maybe the buyer was told the same as I was !

Message 8 of 185
latest reply

Hello! I have been in the cellular industry for almost 10 years now and my suggestion is DO NOT give away any serial number or IMEI/ESN numbers by message ESPECIALLY if the ESN/IMEI in question is clean and clear for activation. The reason for this is because there are computer programs that exist that enable the user to program or "clone" a CLEAN ESN/IMEI to a device with a BAD or blocked ESN/IMEI, so the device that originally had the BAD ESN/IMEI now has a clean one and is able to be programmed for use on said carrier and the device that originally had a CLEAN ESN/IMEI (the device you are selling) will now show up as "already activated" or blocked and be rendered useless. This has happened to me a couple of times before and since the last time I have stopped sending the IMEI/ESN by message. Hope this helps!

When people message me asking for these numbers I politely tell them that I cannot provide it by message, but the description is true and if for any reason it turns out to be untrue then you are protected for up to 45 days via eBay Buyer Protection. I've never had any issues when I reply stating this.

Message 9 of 185
latest reply

They are asking so they can tell if the stock is UK or overseas stock.

The last 2 digits will let him know whtether to buy it. If its not UK stock, there is no warranty on the phone if it goes wrong. 

I bought a phone from a seller on Ebay. The phone stopped working so i sent it to Samsung. They returned the phone telling me it was not EU and therefore the warranty is void. 

Lost nearly £400!

Message 10 of 185
latest reply

I went through the same headache when I sold my phone. I'd never even heard of an IMEI number until I started getting requests for it in my inbox.  Uncomfortable with giving it out, I politely declined their requests.  I heard the horror stories about "cloning" the number onto a bad phone.  Whether or not those stories are true, I sold my phone without needing to give out the IMEI number.

Just wanted to add my voice to jsrusco and say if you're uncomfortable or unsure about it, you'll probably be able to sell your phone just fine without revealing it!

Message 11 of 185
latest reply

I just got the same. With eBay and PayPal protection there is no need to give them this. if after payment is made, and the phone is stolen or not unlocked you can dispute and get your money back. All the risk is on me if I give out the MEID prior to getting funds. Once funds clear, I have no problem providing that number.

Message 12 of 185
latest reply

So it sounds to me like this is a no win situation. 

In the past month I have purchased 2 phones on ebay. Both sellers stated clean esn/verizon phones.

It wasn't until I paid, waited for shipping, received the phone and tried to activate it, that I found out the IMEI was invalid. 

Then I had to ask for a refund and pay $20-30 for return shipping. This happend TWICE. I still havent received either of my refunds, i'm out almost $60 for return shipping, and on top of it all I still dont have a phone.

So i asked Verizon how to prevent this again...they said "ask for the IMEI and verify it before purchase" 

Problem is nobody will give me the IMEI (because they think I'm gonna clone the phone or something stupid like that) unless i pay first which defeats the purpose of asking for the number in the first place.

So now i'll never buy another phone on ebay unless the seller is willing to fork over the IMEI. Ive decided to try Swappa.com instead. The staff verifies all phone IMEIs there and some of the sellers there will even post the IMEI for anyone to verify

Message 13 of 185
latest reply

I disagree 

the buyer does assume risk 

in the past month i have purchased phones twice, both times the IMEI was invalid

in order to get my refund I had to pay return shipping totaling almost $60 combined.

i still havent received my refunds and i still dont have a phone

i wont buy another unless i can verify the IMEI first

Message 14 of 185
latest reply

I sold the phone and then the buyer asked for it. He can't clone it and then back out, or can he?

Thanks!!!

Message 15 of 185
latest reply