eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
instantvideogames
Community Member

Re: How to spot fake factory sealed PS2 Games?

in reply to mastershake9109

You sure are the master of spin. Of course I never said I had 50 FF8s, I said I sell 50 FF games per month, this includes all 5 FF games and Chrono Cross.

The shelf in my trailer.

All sealed.

FF 8 Maufactured 12/1/10

The titles are on the side.

Spun around in the boxes.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

instantvideogames wrote:

You sure are the master of spin. Of course I never said I had 50 FF8s, I said I sell 50 FF games per month, this includes all 5 FF games and Chrono Cross.

Nah, I'm in a "spin-free" zone, like that old bastard Bill O'Riley. And I know you said you sell 50 a month, but I wanted to see your inventory. It's interesting how the visible labels show FF8 marked on them, and one that appears to have Chrono Cross marked on it, but all of the others are UNMARKED or covered up with tape. Also, why don't you show the backside of some of these FF8 game cases so that we can see the UPC code and ensure that the cover art on the back matches that of the genuine thing (as opposed to being pirated copies that is... hehehe!) B-)

Please use plain text.
instantvideogames
Community Member

Okay, now I know you're kidding.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

instantvideogames wrote:

Okay, now I know you're kidding.

About asking to see the backside of those FF8 game cases so that we can look at the UPC and artwork on the back and then determine whether it's genuine or pirated. NOT IN THE SLIGHTEST!  B-)

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I am going to end the debate that started in this forum. Specifically, I am addressing lucky_deals vs instantvideogames. I recently purchased Final Fantasy IX (ps 1 game) from instantvideogames. When the game arrived it was shrink wrapped, lacked y-fold seals, and did not have the white security on the top of the game. Naturally I felt the game had been resealed and contacted the seller about my suspicion. Instantvideo games claimed that it was in fact new but I was still skeptical just because I don't remember playstation games being packaged in such a way. I concede that this doesn't mean that they aren't now. Further, I had overlooked the fact that the discs that I received from instantvideogames were silver-bottomed, instead of having a bluish/ black bottom. Being a scientist and now highly curious I started doing some research. Unfortunately google had failed me and the facts were in conclusive. However...

The solution to the debate: After a couple hours of research and finding nothing, I found a big something. The skeptic can google "square-enix," navigate to the store and you will find that as of 2:30 am 11/3/2011 Final Fantasy IX (for playstation 1, NOT just PSN) is in fact still for sale directly from the game's creator and appears in stock. So, lucky7_deals, it is clearly possible that square-enix still makes ps1 games or at the very least has recently. Perhaps it is old stock, but I am not sure how to prove that. The branding suggests that it is new because it say "square-enix," where as the company was only "square" when the game was originally released.

So to solve my skepticism about the packaging and the disc color I went ahead and ordered a copy of the game directly from square enix. This should answer all my questions and solve the debate. I will update this when I receive the game.

Of course you don't have to take my word for it. You can visit the square-enix site and order your own copy.

Please use plain text.
diskounters
Community Member

I'm late to the party here....

but here's a video of two games.

One I purchased on Half.com, the other a local video game chain.

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/diskounters/?action=view&current=7431d00e.pbw

You can see the differences, and what some will do to try to sell used games as new.

Please use plain text.
instantvideogames
Community Member

I'm late to the party here....

but here's a video of two games.

One I purchased on Half.com, the other a local video game chain.

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/diskounters/?action=view¤t=7431d00e.pbw

You can see the differences, and what some will do to try to sell used games as new.

First of all, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, Gamestop has been convicted of reselling used games as new, not once or twice, but as a corporate policy.

But what does the video show? I can't tell what the point is.

If you open a game, insert a security strip that sets off the alarm at the door, then reseal it, to the average consumer, the game is still new. That's not a used game. It's only no good if you plan on adding it to your museum.

Please use plain text.
instantvideogames
Community Member

I went ahead and ordered a copy of the game directly from square enix. This should answer all my questions and solve the debate. I will update this when I receive the game.

I have to give Wave_Equation a lot of credit for being fair and ridiculously open minded.

What he didn't tell you is that he contacted Square-Enix as I suggested and the customer service rep told him that all Authentic Square Enix games have the white strip (incorrect), and that Square-Enix has never pressed a PS1 game on a silver disc (Also incorrect).

Now for 99.9% of people, that would be case closed. It's a bootleg.

But Wave_Equation knows that you can call any customer service number and get bad info. So he decided to buy a copy from Square-Enix to see what they would send him. Additionally, because he knew the rep could be wrong, he did not post here that SE basically told him that I sold him a bootleg. He knew it might be wrong, so he didn't tell you.

Is he amazing or what?

Sure enough, when the game arrived, the game he purchased directly from Square Enix, it was shrink wrapped, no white seal, and pressed on a silver disk, EXACTLY as the copy I sold to him.

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
diskounters
Community Member

First of all, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, Gamestop has been convicted of reselling used games as new, not once or twice, but as a corporate policy.

But what does the video show? I can't tell what the point is.

If you open a game, insert a security strip that sets off the alarm at the door, then reseal it, to the average consumer, the game is still new. That's not a used game. It's only no good if you plan on adding it to your museum.

You are incorrect and misleading innocent buyers.

The license agreement by the software industry says once you break the seal, it is yours and it is used, whether or not you played the game.

It is called a re-wrapped LIKE NEW game or STORE DISPLAY.

I know many people that would be very upset to get a gift of a re-wrapped game.

Please use plain text.
instantvideogames
Community Member

You are incorrect and misleading innocent buyers.

The license agreement by the software industry says once you break the seal, it is yours and it is used, whether or not you played the game.

It is called a re-wrapped LIKE NEW game or STORE DISPLAY.

I know many people that would be very upset to get a gift of a re-wrapped game.

I don't install security strips, so if that misleads "innocent buyers", it's not me. I don't have a brick and mortar, I have no reason to install security strips.

I asked a simple question :

"But what does the video show? I can't tell what the point is."

I go to Best Buy and all of the games have that security notice like in your video.

Is your point that every game Best Buy sells is used once they put that security strip inside?

You linked a video. Can you tell me what it shows?

Please use plain text.
diskounters
Community Member

My video showed a game re-wrapped by a seller on Half.com, and a game purchased from a retail store locally.

The claim was ruled in my favor, and the sellers feedback reflects this sort of habit.

The video shows a clearly re-wrapped game (no y-folds).

Look at the differences in the video, you can clearly see the re-wrap and what to look out for.

Please use plain text.
instantvideogames
Community Member

My video showed a game re-wrapped by a seller on Half.com, and a game purchased from a retail store locally.

That's kinda funny, because you didn't say which was which, and I was thinking you got the legit one on Half and the local store re-wrapped.

But anyway, I'm interested in your opinion, because I'm interested in what everybody thinks about this issue. Also, I've always wondered about the origin of those games.

The game in the shrink wrap has that white security notice. Those games always have a small hard plastic white strip with some anti-theft encoding stuck on the inside of the case.

In NY, you walk into Best Buy, or K-mart, or Toys R Us and they have all of their games like that.

So what is that? How did they get that way? Who did it?

Does Best Buy, K-mart, and Toys R Us re-wrap used games? Like, all of their games? Not possible. Fired employees would rat them out. GameStop got caught doing it. Best Buy, K-mart, and Toys R Us? No.

Maybe they install that security tag in store?

So Best Buy gets a case of new games, opens them all, puts in the tag, then reseals them all? That's possible, but I can't see them going to the trouble.

But if Best Buy did get in 48 copies of a game, and they put those security tags inside and resealed them, would they still be new? If they sold them as new, would that be dishonest?

But, I kinda think Best Buy wouldn't go to the trouble. I think maybe they buy enough games that they might be able to get the distributor to insert the tag and reseal them.

If it's the distributor doing it, are they still new?

Who puts those security tags inside the games?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have never seen a "fake" security strip in the major retail stores, unless the game was re-wrapped.

Also note:  Instant is actually correct about not all ps2 games come with the security strips.  FIRST RUN ps2 games come with a thicker plastic, Y fold sealed, thicker case, memory card holder and the white security strip with the silver seal on top.  Later runs, they drop the security strip, the plastic is slightly cheaper and so are the cases, but they are STILL Y FOLD SEALED.

Also noted:  Although I totally disagree with Instant on a lot of issues, he is NOT selling pirated games.  The games he is referring to are legitimately from the manufacturer, these are sold in many Frys, MicroCenters etc... these are cheap remanufactured versions of those games and they only produce a few of those games and they are all greatest hits versions and NOBODY gives a crap about them.. so the fact that you are arguing with anyone about those games is pointless.   Those few games... FFVIII, 9, chrono cross, anthology etc are the ONLY ones that are like that and they are the ONLY ps1 games that are on DVD, that is why it's silver bottomed.  PS1 wanted all games produced on black bottom discs so they would be distinctive and harder to copy and that is also CD formatted, not DVD format like those silver bottom discs.

Our Microcenter sells them for like 13 bucks a piece and they sit there because they are crap and game collectors know the difference.  First off, no game collector collects greatest hits games, 2nd, they know the difference between the original versions and the remade junk that Instant is referring to.and the funny thing is the vast majority of those have a cigarette fold seal that looks pretty crappy.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Let me clarify, those few games are just cheap reproductions.  They are no different then buying a reproduction first edition Super-man comic. 

The original Final Fantasy VIII has black bottoms, different art work on the tops of the disc, higher quality materials etc..Even the greatest hits original versions have black bottoms and a silver artwork on the tops of the discs,. the ones that Instant sells are not fake, or bootlegs, however; they are cheap over produced GH (greatest hits) reproductions.

Like i said before, for anyone who reads this thread, don't let anyone try and convince you that their game is an original factory sealed game if there is no Y fold factory seals...... I have a couple games in my collection that have the security seal and are "NEW", but the original plastic came off and the store rewrapped it and it drops the value significantly.  As a matter of fact, the value would be no different if I just tore the plastic off and left the strip there, but I'm not because I want to protect the case.

Please use plain text.
instantvideogames
Community Member

I have a couple games in my collection that have the security seal and are "NEW", but the original plastic came off and the store rewrapped it

There's no possibility that the publisher shrink wrapped that title? How could you know this?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Instant, I get you being the Devil's Advocate and I understand what you are saying.  At some point, yes they may stop using Y fold Seals and let me also say, that Collector's Version games are exempt from this, those are all shrink wrapped and good luck spotting a rewrap or not..... Let me say from my personal experience.. I have a a complete set of ps1 and ps2 factory sealed games and each one is factory sealed like I have described.  I am working on the ps3 set and every game I have in my collection has the Y folds.  At some point in the future will they do some other type of wrapping, maybe, but if you are a true game collector, you are going to look for the standards of Y fold seals, it brings the most value, it's the most collectible and it's the easiest to say "AH, yes this is factory sealed"  For everyone else, it probably does not matter.

I personally have sold very rare "factory sealed" games to folks on ebay.... and I have been left feedback "Just opened this game and played it and it's awesome"  on multiple occassions, and these are games that I put a huge premium on price 100-200 per game and I just shake my head thinking.... man you could have gotten a used copy for like 40 bucks lol.  So I think I am in the small minority of folks that really care or not.  Also, try getting a shrink wrapped game graded that is suppossed to be Y fold sealed.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Very interesting everything that is being said here. I just have one question, some of you were accusing a seller of selling bootleg copies. As far as I understand, a PS system can't and won't play bootleg copies unless there is a special chip installed in them. Is this correct? If this is the case, I would doubt customers would be able to play any bootleg copies sold by the seller.

Please use plain text.
outdoorbunker
Community Member

The silver bottomed Square Enix Greatest Hits releases are totally legit.  First off, you can actually order them from from SquareEnix's website.  Secondly, if the guy who runs the Playstation Perfect Guide, the guy who has ALMOST EVER VARIANT OF EVERY PS1 GAME EVER RELEASED, I think we can trust him.  Here's a link.

http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playstation_perfect_guide/silverbottom/

Please use plain text.
instantvideogames
Community Member

The silver bottomed Square Enix Greatest Hits releases are totally legit.  First off, you can actually order them from from SquareEnix's website.  Secondly, if the guy who runs the Playstation Perfect Guide, the guy who has ALMOST EVER VARIANT OF EVERY PS1 GAME EVER RELEASED, I think we can trust him.  Here's a link.

http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playstation_perfect_guide/silverbottom/

That's what my customer above did. He "knew" that a silver bottom meant it was bootleg, and he "knew" that the shrink wrap meant it was resealed. So he bought one from Square Enix and surprise!! Square Enix sells re-wrapped bootlegs on their own website!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I just thought I'd drop by and say that this topic has been incredibly informative, and I thank everyone who has participated.

I'm just getting into the collecting side of gaming, and this topic has shed some light on what I should be looking for.

I had wondered if a lot of these ps1 RPGS were just bootlegs or reseals, but apparently not all of them are!  Shame on the folks who are accusing Instant (and other I'm sure) without ever doing the research yourself.  Well.. i'm off to do more research, lol.

Please use plain text.