cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does a buyer have to open a case and request a refund, lost items?

I have been selling phones through craigslist for a few years and decided to become more active on Ebay. I am beginning to think I should end selling on ebay because the seller protection sucks against lying buyers.

How long does a buyer have to file a dispute for a phone after receiving it? Is it really 45 days from what i have been reading???!!!!! Anything could go wrong with technology after a few days of being purchased. "knock on wood" Now I am scared to list anything here again. Ebay has been making $800 a month in fees from me, it might not seem much to some but I have had returns that absolutely had no issues and buyers just wanted a refund.

Please tell me 45 days is wrong. More like 7 days to file a claim would be perfect this is ridiculous.

Another question that I have is, How can you file a claim for a phone that goes missing from the postal office. I always ship everything with insurance and signature confirmation but what do they require the seller to confirm the price of the phone? Everything that I buy is straight off good ol craigslist and i do not get any receipts for anything obviously.

Message 1 of 205
latest reply
204 REPLIES 204

Now it is 45 days but when the new policy goes into effect they will have 180 days!!! 

Message 91 of 205
latest reply

I'd lim to say this is **bleep**
Message 92 of 205
latest reply

The inception of this thread is over two years old. It is dated 07/24/2012.

In the very first post the OP is freaked that the time a buyer has to return a phone is 45 days.

She says, "Please tell me 45 days is wrong. More like 7 days to file a claim would be perfect this is ridiculous"

Very soon it will be 180 days

Message 93 of 205
latest reply

Hi,why didn't you dispute the case if you thought you were in the right.I have been ripped off for £120 by a dishonest seller who took advantage of my trust; by the time I realised what was goin on and sent the item back,I had to ask for an extension from eBay (I didn't want to upset the seller incase he would renage on his promise to refund payment +postage.ebay refused the extension even though I told them I had a feeling he wasn't going to pay.I had a signature for return of the item and guess what ,,,,, no refund.So I don't agree with you.by the time you argue your case,seller won't take item back etc, resolution centre etc, then posting back; you definitely need the. 45 days.Now I use eBay to my advantage taking pictures of item also pictures of item being posted against dishonest sellers.Unfortunetely there are nasty people on eBay, just don't let them away with it.fight back.
Message 94 of 205
latest reply

45 Days before November, 180 Days thereafter.

I don't agree with a 45 day policy and IMHO it should be 30 days like most other business' on the web. On the day the new 180 day policy will become effective, I will stop selling on ebay. I usually buy and sell a lot and doing though since 1998 (that's 16 years of fees).

I check items before I send them out to make sure it is exactly as described. When I receive purchased items, I check them on the same or next day. I understand that a buyer may waits until the weekend but I currently have a case where the buyer contacts me after 43 days with a claim that the item, a PC motherboard, does not work. Yes, I have checked it completely through and I know it was working when it left here.

Emails between the buyer and me clearly indicate that the the buyer has no clue on how this item works. I don't know the outcome yet but one thing is clear my selling activity has become less and less since I am disappointed with the increasing dishonesty of buyers.

The policy allows to receive an item back from a buyer which is not in the condition in which I have sent  it. I can't resell it or have to take a total loss on it, plus shipping and packaging fees. For a buyer this seems to be no issue and it wouldn't be if it would be an issue once a while but it's cutting into my income! Just In the last year I had to deal with 19! cases. None before 2012. What does it mean? Maybe the new generation of shoppers should check a bit closer on what to buy before rolling their thumbs over the buitnow or bid button.

A simple sale seems to be getting more complicated every day. I keep a presents here but shifted most of my sales to other sites and enjoying my business again a bit more with less fees and especially less complaints.

Message 95 of 205
latest reply

To me, also begins to seem that craiglist is better than ebay.
Message 96 of 205
latest reply

180 Days..I was just telling my wife that a person has 45 days to make a dispute. She said that is rediculous! Wow, imagine buying something from a local store and walking in 45 days later after using the item and telling the guy, you want a refund. Now, I see it is going to 180 Days! Thats 6 months. EBAY, you guys are out of touch with reality. How can you expect a small business (I am not a business just a guy that uses Ebay once in a while) to sleep at night??!! Imagine selling an expensive item and waiting and possibly expecting somebody to use that item and decide 6 months later, that they want a refund for some nefarious reason? So carzy. You know, Ebay charges the seller a huge fee too boot. Its all about the buyer now on Ebay. Clearly Ebay has lost touch with the Seller IMHO. Its really scary now the road that Ebay has gone down with all thier policies.

Message 97 of 205
latest reply

how the hell did he get a refund if you have proof he received? if it was delievered that right there kills his argument of "not received".

Message 98 of 205
latest reply

Hey guys, I've been reading the forum about the return policy and though probably 90 percent plus of sellers disagree with it, the fact is that ebay would rather lose 5 sellers than one buyer.  You might say well if ebay loses all of it's sellers, who's going to list things for them to make money?? Well honestly, ebay is a machine, an incredibly huge one that follows some guidelines, but also does what it wants.  If all of the sellers were kicked off of ebay, ebay itself (who I guarantee has access to any source that we it's sellers have access to) would start selling to the public. Maybe this will sound like B.S. to a lot of people, but logic says that they have power and sellers are expendable, so if we want to sell on their site, we have to play by their rules unfortunately.

Message 99 of 205
latest reply

I spoke with an ebay representative about 2 weeks ago for this same situation. Tracking showed it delivered and the guy left positive feedback that said he got it, but because it did not get there by the time the buyer was expecting it, their item not received case was valid and could still count against my performance.
Message 100 of 205
latest reply

Some buyers might be away from home. Right now I bought something on eBay 18k braclet when I get back from my trip, if it isn't gold I have time and will open a case. Of course I don't want to I paid a lot , I really want it to be 18k. But I will open a case if I have to
Message 101 of 205
latest reply

I know how you feel! It is becoming very stressfull to sell on ebay...

I just got a negative, my first negative...The person bought a shirt form me, waited almost 30 days, left negative feedback saying the shirt was "not an XL and it didnt fit my husband"...I never heard from her at all. I measure 100's of shirts every month and I DOUBLE CHECK just to make sure. I asked her to send me the measurements she got or a picture of the tag. No response...

She waited 30 days to leave a negative? Because the shirt didnt fit her husband? That shouldnt take 30 days. I would have refunded her the $$$ and told her to keep the shirt for free. I am very good to my buyers as I am a buyer myself but I didnt measure wrong (and I am still willing to refund her just for peace of her mind). The shirt is an XL but now I am stuck with a bad rating.

I emailed ebay to see if I can get it removed as The measurements were true and it ws an XL. Im hoping since she never contacted me and I have many other auctions with XL clearly displayed with same measurements, Im hoping ebay will remove the negative.

Why would anyone need more than 2 weeks to realize something they bought needs to be returned for reason not due to bad description?

Message 102 of 205
latest reply

That is not true at all. If the buyer recieved the item, its not an item not recieved case. The shipping times are ESTIMATES. Only 2 day Priority Express and above are guranteed. Sounds like the ebay representative was wrong but when did that ever matter? It seems lately everything I have been reading basically says "buyer always right" "seller always wrong"

Im expecting my package to get here in 24 hours, that doesnt mean it will. USPS is wrong more than half of the time when it comes to delivery "estimates" and it creates alot of confusion for buyers when the package doesnt arrive at the time specified.

I just shipped a package from Southern CA to Oregon and the delivery estimate was 2 days. It literally took 9 DAYS. I did everything within 24 hours and USPS dropped the ball but luckily I was dealing with a very honest and understanding buyer.

The ebay rep should know that "expectations" are just like wishes and USPS delivery times are ESTIMATES.

Message 103 of 205
latest reply

You are saying if all the sellers leave ebay (which I would never want to see happen btw) that ebay could still funciton??? Lol

You telling me ebay employees are going to spend the required time tracking down used clothing and antuiqes, etc.?? You forget that ebay isnt just new phones and Chinese market items. There are ALOT of hard to find, interesting little items from everyday peoples houses, storage units, goodwills, etc...It would be impossible for ebay to function as it does now without those sellers. Otherwise ebay would just be another online retailer that sells the same imported stuff that other sites do.

Thats what makes ebay unique. The pickers who go out and find unique items to sell. Not just "high volume re-sellers".

Message 104 of 205
latest reply

Hello, I hope this is the right place. Well, I placed four orders on November 24 from a seller and they were all shipped in one package based on the same tracking number.

It said estimate date December 8 - 22, 2014. It did not come.

It is January 13, 2015 and I still did not get it. Also, the tracking number doesn't even work at all and doesn't show any status update or anything. It is from China.

Even a purcahse I made recently last week from the seller shows the tracking number it is located in Chicago. Not sure what happened with this order and why it has no status update and it isn't coming. I have bought multiple purchases from this seller and never had problems with the latest package coming 30 days from her. It was around $200, so I can't afford to let this slip.

Question: So, how long do I have until I can't make an item not received claim?

I went ahead and made a request for all four items as it is almost 2 months that has passed, which I believe would be the deadline to file a claim? Correct?

Thank you!

Message 105 of 205
latest reply