cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does a buyer have to open a case and request a refund, lost items?

I have been selling phones through craigslist for a few years and decided to become more active on Ebay. I am beginning to think I should end selling on ebay because the seller protection sucks against lying buyers.

How long does a buyer have to file a dispute for a phone after receiving it? Is it really 45 days from what i have been reading???!!!!! Anything could go wrong with technology after a few days of being purchased. "knock on wood" Now I am scared to list anything here again. Ebay has been making $800 a month in fees from me, it might not seem much to some but I have had returns that absolutely had no issues and buyers just wanted a refund.

Please tell me 45 days is wrong. More like 7 days to file a claim would be perfect this is ridiculous.

Another question that I have is, How can you file a claim for a phone that goes missing from the postal office. I always ship everything with insurance and signature confirmation but what do they require the seller to confirm the price of the phone? Everything that I buy is straight off good ol craigslist and i do not get any receipts for anything obviously.

Message 1 of 205
latest reply
204 REPLIES 204

I sold an item, and despite a no refund policy the buyer opened a case against me. It took her 2 months to send the item back, and eBay ended up refunding my money. I was shocked that eBay sided with me as a seller...

Message 46 of 205
latest reply

So what happened after that??? Im going through the same thing
Right now but i described the phone clearly. I dont know if ill win the case.
Message 47 of 205
latest reply

I agree Boyd! I'm not a frequent ebayer. My story sucks. I sold a bicycle frame a few years ago, and the buyer opened a case against me stating the item was not as described.. We'll it was as described, a pre owned bicycle frame with a few parts included. My issue was, I don't frequent ebay so I didn't even know a case was filed! I got on my email one day and found multiple messages from the buyer and ebay. Trouble was it was past 10 days of the case being opened and I had no rights to the money I received or the bike. That jerk kept my frame and got a refund. I tried to politely explain the situation but they weren't having it, and ebay would not help me. I had my paypal account frozen until I paid it back. More trouble than it was worth for sure. I'm still upset about that!
Message 48 of 205
latest reply

You have no idea what your talking about.  Dont come in here and spout off some **bleep** about most sellers are just trying to pass off their junk and thats why 95 percent of the time there the ones in the wrong not the buyer.  You dont know.  Try selling up here and see how quick you lose those rose colored glasses buddy.  I just got a case opened up against me from a guy that got his package a month ago and now all of a sudden says that the box it was delivered in was all beat up, taped over holes, and the inside products dented and beat all up.  Well if thats the case why did I not receive a message about it a month ago when he first got it?  Why does he keep in for a month and then decide I should refund him AND pay 50 bucks on top of that it I want him to send it back.  I dont think so.  Of course i refused. He can leave bad feedback if he wants.  I dont care if I lost my Top Rated Seller status.  Im not eating this one.  Ive emptied my paypal account. Ill close everything out and move to amazon if they allow a buyer to abuse the system this blatently.

Hopefully though ebay will go with the person thats obviously being honest about the situation.  No one waits a month to open a case if they get a package and product damaged like that OR even messages the seller. Im keeping the faith for now.  I would like to stay here, but that would just be to much to look past, because if thats allowed to fly, anything can...

Message 49 of 205
latest reply

im a seller as well but ebay dont care about seller  lost  buyers some times just buy sometning use it an than want to return it  because they know the policy 

ebay dont care about seller because ebay  can find sellers all the time and is hard to find  buyers if people hear bad  experience about buying in ebay  ebay loose money ebay think the buyer always right even if you listed as is  they always can do whatever just pray not to get screw

Message 50 of 205
latest reply

im a seller as well but ebay dont care about seller  lost  buyers some times just buy sometning use it an than want to return it  because they know the policy 

ebay dont care about seller because ebay  can find sellers all the time and is hard to find  buyers if people hear bad  experience about buying in ebay  ebay loose money ebay think the buyer always right even if you listed as is  they always can do whatever just pray not to get screw

Message 51 of 205
latest reply

I think it is very unfair for the seller, I sold couple phones on ebay, After the buyers use the phone for a while, they feel they don't want it anymore, they open a case, "not as described" and complain about silly things like they don't like the camera etc. Buyers also don't read descriptions, That also causes problems. Once  moeny is received, it doesn't sit our my account waiting 45 days for the customer to be satified with it or not, we spend it !!!  So i think to open a case and to be refunded should be minimized to 15 days max ,after that its the buyers problem.

We the sellers also need protection selling on ebay, as for me I will never sell on ebay again, i am very unhappy with the way ebay favours the buyers way more than the seller. We pay ebay fees and paypal fees, i think we should get some kind of protection.

Anyways be aware selling phones or electronics on ebay, its a bad idea, after 20 to 30 days  of selling your phone, don't be suprised if a customer says i want money back and screw you over, because ebay/[paypal will debit your account the moment the case is opened without warning.

Speaking out of fustration with ebay policy for buyer protection.

Oh and forget about putting no returns accepted on your ebay listing doesn't work, its there for decoration.

Message 52 of 205
latest reply

A buyer seriously just opened an "item not as described case" on Feb 8th 2014 for a phone I have sold. The item was delivered on November 15th 2013. That is almost 90 days!!! How is he even allowed to do that?! This is just asinine. I thought it wouldn't even let you open a dispute after 45 days. What am I supposed to do now?
Message 53 of 205
latest reply

And to top it off he left me positive feedback!
Message 54 of 205
latest reply

You are so naive perhaps when you have sold a few items come back and comment. How can you possibly say 95% of sellers have cases opened against them when tens of thousands of sellers have 100% feedback. Sellers are being conned right left and centre and nothing seems to be done about it. As for the 45 day rule thats not true. A buyer can open a case MONTHS after a purchase all they have to do is phone ebay and they do it for them all that happens after 45 days is the online LINK vanishes but cases can still be opened.

Message 55 of 205
latest reply

it should be 7 days from RECEIPT of goods for used items.

Message 56 of 205
latest reply

FYI to those who mail an item to Thailand.  I ordered a small item from China and it took 53 days to arrive .

Message 57 of 205
latest reply

That is not enough time. I bought new ink and a chip that I've still not used yet moron.

Message 58 of 205
latest reply

I am on the buyer´s side this time and would appreciate your input.

I was living in NY while doing an internship last year. I bought an iPhone 4 here on ebay, which the seller claimed to be Factory Unlocked. I was especially interested in the phone being unlocked since I would eventually return abroad.

I had no problems whatsoever using the phone during the year that I was living in the US. However, when I returned home and tried to use a SIM card from the phone company here, expeciting it to work, it turned out the phone was not in fact unlocked.

I have confirmed this through IMEI check, etc.

It turns out also, that the only person allowed by ATT to request an unlock for the phone is the original owner, who had the actual contract.

The seller, of course, is not responding to my emails sending him proof that the phone is not unlocked, and asking him to please call ATT and request the unlock with personal info that only he knows and they need.

What can I do at this point, if the purchase was over a year ago, and I only realized that he had scammed me a bit over a month ago?

Any ideas? Is there any way to report him to ebay at this point? He also has no items for sale now...

http://www.ebay.com/usr/enterprise_discount?_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754

Thank you!

Carmen

Message 59 of 205
latest reply

I agree.  A customer doesn't need 45 days to decide if an "item is not as described"  What is the customer doing all this time?  Open the box, test it and thats it.  I believe this policy hurts the sellers.  It gives an enormous time period for a buyer to decide if he or she wants an item or not. Somewhere you need to have a balance, for buyers and sellers. As of right now, Ebay has more protections for the Buyer and the seller has to suffer.  In reality, without the buyers and the sellers you wouldn't have a market.  Implement a fairless policy for both Buyers and Sellers. 

@qualityforlessells wrote:

I have been selling phones through craigslist for a few years and decided to become more active on Ebay. I am beginning to think I should end selling on ebay because the seller protection sucks against lying buyers.

How long does a buyer have to file a dispute for a phone after receiving it? Is it really 45 days from what i have been reading???!!!!! Anything could go wrong with technology after a few days of being purchased. "knock on wood" Now I am scared to list anything here again. Ebay has been making $800 a month in fees from me, it might not seem much to some but I have had returns that absolutely had no issues and buyers just wanted a refund.

Please tell me 45 days is wrong. More like 7 days to file a claim would be perfect this is ridiculous.

Another question that I have is, How can you file a claim for a phone that goes missing from the postal office. I always ship everything with insurance and signature confirmation but what do they require the seller to confirm the price of the phone? Everything that I buy is straight off good ol craigslist and i do not get any receipts for anything obviously.

@qualityforlessells wrote:

Message 60 of 205
latest reply