cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does a buyer have to open a case and request a refund, lost items?

I have been selling phones through craigslist for a few years and decided to become more active on Ebay. I am beginning to think I should end selling on ebay because the seller protection sucks against lying buyers.

How long does a buyer have to file a dispute for a phone after receiving it? Is it really 45 days from what i have been reading???!!!!! Anything could go wrong with technology after a few days of being purchased. "knock on wood" Now I am scared to list anything here again. Ebay has been making $800 a month in fees from me, it might not seem much to some but I have had returns that absolutely had no issues and buyers just wanted a refund.

Please tell me 45 days is wrong. More like 7 days to file a claim would be perfect this is ridiculous.

Another question that I have is, How can you file a claim for a phone that goes missing from the postal office. I always ship everything with insurance and signature confirmation but what do they require the seller to confirm the price of the phone? Everything that I buy is straight off good ol craigslist and i do not get any receipts for anything obviously.

Message 1 of 205
latest reply
204 REPLIES 204

eBay PayPal tried to force me to return counterfeit DVDs to the seller. when I told them I reported the seller to the organization that goes after people for selling illegal products and I was keeping the EVIDENCE in the event it was asked for by the watchdog organization PayPal asked for a copy of the email sent to the watchdog org and allowed me to keep the EVIDENCE and gave me a total refund. 

Message 136 of 205
latest reply

If everyone would report to outside watchdog orbs we would have less fake item sellers!
Message 137 of 205
latest reply

Listen to my story !! Back in 2010, I sold a amplifier for $680 to a person in Italy. I don't remember exactly what I charged him for shipping but im guessing it was in the $80 range. After about a month, the buyer opens a claim against me. I clearly have in my auction add that the sale is final and no returns would be accepted. Anyway, the buyer claims that the amp had a few bad channels and didn't work. I then noticed that paypal took out $680 and was holding on to it. I then called paypal and asked **bleep** was going on. They said the buyer has a claim against you and we are reviewing the case in BS eBay court. Long story short, the buyer won and had to ship the item back to me. Once he provided a tracking number, the case was officially closed. I waited 2 weeks. No amp was delivered to my house. Waited another 2 weeks. No amp delivered to my house. Waited another 2 weeks. No amp delivered to my house. We are up to 6 weeks and no amp. I called paypal. They said that there was nothing they can do as the seller provided a valid tracking number. So I waited another 2 weeks and still nothing. I called up eBay and flipped the hell out on them. They offered to reimburse me for half the amount ($340) so I took it but was still **bleep** off. I hate these **bleep**ers. So, I opened up a new ebay account about a month ago. I sold a bunch or items and ended up with $400 plus worth of ebay selling fees. I HAVE NOT PAID IT AND I NEVER WILL PAY IT. PAYBACK IS A **bleep** EBAY !!!!!

Message 138 of 205
latest reply

EBAY - stop asking me to pay my sellers fees. I am not. You owe me $340 plus 5 years of interest. Im cutting you a break at $400. You should see what my normal interest charge is. F U. I am done here selling on **bleep** ass ebay. This is a fake account so good luck collecting.

Message 139 of 205
latest reply

this policy really sucks there is no safe side for sellers everything for buyers however they lies being a seller i am facing alot on ebay just keep trying to keep my feedback 100% just got a return from buyer an iPhone 6 64 gig he messed with the device broke it then open a case against me and eBay never wants to support i have maken a loss of $ 412.00 for no reason and eBay member said "unfortunately we doesn't offer seller protection" just immagine how poor their system is and recently i have another return request from buyer after 38 days of his purchase he said the icloud is locked (he forgot the password and being a second buyer apple will never help you so he open a case) i am looking for some other plate form to sell because this sucks it is probably for ever, when ever you get tired with your buy just open a case eBay will help you being a buyer.

@qualityforlessells wrote:

I have been selling phones through craigslist for a few years and decided to become more active on Ebay. I am beginning to think I should end selling on ebay because the seller protection sucks against lying buyers.

How long does a buyer have to file a dispute for a phone after receiving it? Is it really 45 days from what i have been reading???!!!!! Anything could go wrong with technology after a few days of being purchased. "knock on wood" Now I am scared to list anything here again. Ebay has been making $800 a month in fees from me, it might not seem much to some but I have had returns that absolutely had no issues and buyers just wanted a refund.

Please tell me 45 days is wrong. More like 7 days to file a claim would be perfect this is ridiculous.

Another question that I have is, How can you file a claim for a phone that goes missing from the postal office. I always ship everything with insurance and signature confirmation but what do they require the seller to confirm the price of the phone? Everything that I buy is straight off good ol craigslist and i do not get any receipts for anything obviously.

Message 140 of 205
latest reply

I hate when people answer without knowing all the facts-  knowledge its power. I know it's an old, per EBay (I recorded the conversation LOL) the ONLY reason they HAVE to side with the buyer it's because they don't want the buyer to damage the item in purpose so they can win a case. I am a seller and work very hard for a few bucks, I described my items 100% accurately and I get so many MORONS that don't read description, are ignorant about brand/tems or simply don't know English  (sarcastic), I.e., sold a pair of NEW True Religon distressed jeans - tittle says DISTRESSED IN BOLD moron gave me negative feedback because said they were defective- I sent her to the Webster dictionary!! 

Message 141 of 205
latest reply

Yes, you are wrong... it is not 45 days...

it is 180 days or 6 months. seems that now ebay expects us to give near lifetime money back guarenties to dishonest buyers.

Message 142 of 205
latest reply

ebay almost always takes the buyers side. Even when they're wrong.
(Most ebay sellers know this)
AND MANY HAVE LEFT EBAY BECAUSE OF IT.
*"SELL ON CRAIGSLIST AND KEEP YOUR MONEY!!!!!!
Message 143 of 205
latest reply

before place an order, you have to check the sellers profile first, if they have a lots of negative comments. it's happen to me once and i notice that the seller i order have a lots of negative comments, i learn my lesson well. luckily i refund my money back for a month.

Message 144 of 205
latest reply

45 days is BS -- I just had a customer file a  I received an item that wasn't as described  60 days after the sale !!!!!!

An item that costs  $22,820 new I had it listed for  $2888.88 USED and accepted his  offer of only $1000 - Now he tells me the cylinder head needs $1000 worth of work !   I may take it back have the work done and sell it as a ready to go head for $5000 now !!!!

Message 145 of 205
latest reply

Yeah... two weeks (or 20 days) isn't enough time. If it was two weeks from the date it was recieved that would be fine... but many items won't even have arrived in that time frame.

Message 146 of 205
latest reply

Where can i find the info (link) how much days I have for open case?

I received not working item and seller told me he will resend another one and want to know how many days to open case?

Thanks!

Message 147 of 205
latest reply

The link is on every eBay auction listing -
http://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

"If you did not receive the item, or the item is not as described, you have 30 days from your actual or latest estimated delivery date to open a request, under the eBay Money Back Guarantee."
Message 148 of 205
latest reply

item bought on Jan 18, 2016 and if the estimated delivery is from Feb 02, 2016 - Mar 02, 2016, but I have received not working item on Feb 5, 2016 and talked to seller which accepted re-sending another one without returnig the bad item on Feb 14, 2016 (in ebay bought items listing the tracking is from the first delivery only), from which date counts the 30 day limit?
Message 149 of 205
latest reply

@mrobo1974 wrote:
item bought on Jan 18, 2016 and if the estimated delivery is from Feb 02, 2016 - Mar 02, 2016, but I have received not working item on Feb 5, 2016 and talked to seller which accepted re-sending another one without returnig the bad item on Feb 14, 2016 (in ebay bought items listing the tracking is from the first delivery only), from which date counts the 30 day limit?

30 days from Feb 5th was your cut off point for eBay MBG, you can still open a case in PayPal if that's how you paid but will have to pay return shipping with online veiwable delivery confirmation.

If this item is from China you may find out it will cost you a lot to return with delivery confirmation. A big ruse from Chinese sellers is to string the buyer beyond the 30 days knowing it is not cost effective for buyers to open a PayPal return.

I see that you are in Slovakia and don't know if the same rules apply there.

You can still feedback.

Message 150 of 205
latest reply