eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
qualityforlessells
Community Member

How long does a buyer have to open a case and request a refund, lost items?

I have been selling phones through craigslist for a few years and decided to become more active on Ebay. I am beginning to think I should end selling on ebay because the seller protection sucks against lying buyers.

How long does a buyer have to file a dispute for a phone after receiving it? Is it really 45 days from what i have been reading???!!!!! Anything could go wrong with technology after a few days of being purchased. "knock on wood" Now I am scared to list anything here again. Ebay has been making $800 a month in fees from me, it might not seem much to some but I have had returns that absolutely had no issues and buyers just wanted a refund.

Please tell me 45 days is wrong. More like 7 days to file a claim would be perfect this is ridiculous.

Another question that I have is, How can you file a claim for a phone that goes missing from the postal office. I always ship everything with insurance and signature confirmation but what do they require the seller to confirm the price of the phone? Everything that I buy is straight off good ol craigslist and i do not get any receipts for anything obviously.

Please use plain text.
qualityforlessells
Community Member

Re: How long does a buyer have to open a case and request a refund, lost items?

in reply to qualityforlessells

Anyone?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I'm having similar problems as well . I just sold a phone that was described as a "bad imei" phone and clearly mentioned that it wouldn't work with t-mobile. Now buyer is asking for a refund because he was told that it wouldn't connect.
I sent you a pm so we could discuss these issues more
Please use plain text.
soliddealsonline
Community Member

Buyers have 45 days to open an Item Not As Described or an Item Not Received case with PayPal.

Shipping with Signature Confirmation will protect you in an Item Not Received case, provided you ship to the address on the PayPal transaction details page and the tracking shows as delivered or a signature is captured.

If you use USPS insurance and you need to file an insurance claim, they will usually accept a printout of the PayPal transaction details page as proof of the phone's value.

Please use plain text.
qualityforlessells
Community Member

I think I am out from selling on Ebay. I dont know if its just that i have had bad luck lately but i have had to refund 4 buyers. Now today I received a message from a seller that purchased a phone 2 weeks ago saying that the phone is bad imei. He said that he contacted Verizon and they told him that the phone is pending activation. Does this make sense? I checked online at checkesnfree and it clearly shows that the esn is clear. Im going nuts with this. And 45 days is way too long for anyone to file a claim item not as described thats a whole lot of Bull on ebays part. I think 2 weeks should be tops for brand new items and at least 30 days for used no more simple as that. Im not liking you ebay do you hear me!!!!

Please use plain text.
qualityforlessells
Community Member

I think ebay should change its policy to 20 days max for a buyer to open an item not as described case. This is more than enough time imho

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I recently sold a phone as broken,spares or repairs but now the buyer is saying that the phone is barred/blocked and he spent money trying to get it fixed for nothing. He was rude,told me to reply ASAP 3 times today,said he wanted a refund and I'm a fraud And he'll be reporting me to whoever!As you can imagine I was not too impressed to say the least. I have contacted the seller telling him the phone couldn't have been blocked as I bought it from eBay and it worked fine with my sons contract sim until my son dropped it,I then put it on eBay so there's no way it's blocked. I have also checked the IMEI number online and it states what I already know,the phone is unlocked so I haven't a clue what the buyer is on about. Sounds to me he just changed his mind.can i present the evidence i found online of it being unlocked to eBay? Sellers rights are terrible on eBay,why should I reimburse a liar. Also the buyer has had the phone for over 3 weeks now and said he tried to get it fixed so god knows what he's done to it. Please advise what I can do as this is not right

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I would state from now on, in your postings in bold that the phone is in working condition and that if it does not work after a week that you will no longer give refunds for any reason due to the fact that anything can go wrong or they could possibly break the phone in that amount of time!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

45 days to open case.

20 days for opened cases. After this, the case will close automatically.

What to do if you don't receive an item or it doesn't match the seller's description

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Well Ebay is not allowing buyers to call in and get a longer time to open a case and request a refund.   I just have a case opened against me from almost 90 days ago!  I called Ebay and they said people can call them and request to open a case against you even if it is AFTER the 45 days.  How fair is that?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

OOPS I  meant to say is NOW allowing them to open a case past the 45 days

Please use plain text.
bobenis
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to jdhndwh

That is ridiculous.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jdhndwh

Allowing someone to buy, receive, and then use the item you sold them for 90 days followed by possible abuse, damage, loss of parts, etc and then expect you to refund the buyer is ludicrous!
Do they think all of us sellers are Costco or what!?
It really shows one the direction that ebay has taken here...it is all greed.
Sellers make them their money but they treat us like used car salesmen!

If an items arrives you should have 4 days to open a dispute as really if you cannot notice that your item is not as described, missing parts, or damaged in 4 days then you have serious problems and probably should not be buying off ebay.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jdhndwh
U are so right. I just had a claim against me on the 45th day like who waits 45 days to use an item and then complain what a joke of a seller protection
Please use plain text.
redsun21
Community Member

I have lost hundreds of dollars due to Egays policies....Hello swappa....Check it out,flat $10 to sell on Swappa.com!!!

Please use plain text.
lukeflores
Community Member

in reply to redsun21

Everytime I sell something lately I get nervous. I'm just getting through a case where the guy claimed he didn't get an item. He waited 20 days to file a dispute. In that time, Paypal took the sale money back I'd transfered to my checking account. Then they made the money available to me again. The item sold on June 22 and still hasn't closed (It's 08/06!). People say sellers shouldn't escalate, while EBay told me that the case would go in my favor due to the tracking. I just wait...

Now I've sold an iPad to someone who has under 10 feedbacks as a buyer, yet who only gave feedback to a couple of people he bought from! He guy paid right away, but I'll be swetting for a month. I've tried to initiate contact saying thanks and oh I sent a free cover for it, but he says nothing. I honestly feel safer selling on Craigslist to strangers on parking lots than in this overly buyer biased economy Ebay has setup.

Aargh!

Please use plain text.
qualityforlessells
Community Member

in reply to lukeflores

A buyer messaged me yesterday saying she has not received the cellphone. Checking on the usps tracking confirms it was delivered. Didn't use delivery confirmation but now I am waiting to see how this rolls out. In the past a young boy also new to ebay 0 or very minimal feedback reported only receiving an empty box without a phone inside. The box had a slit cut which i could see from the pictures I requested. In the end never heard from him after 2 weeks of tag. Sounds like a SCAM. This new one also has 0 feedback and is telling me that they never received anything??  Anyways I am still mad that ebay is charging 10% for selling a cellphone. That is extremely high and cuts deep in profits. That is why I don't do ebay as much as before. Think about it EBAY READ THIS LOWER YOUR FREAKING FEES AGAIN!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have sell one laptop "as/is no warranty or refund for parts only" 35 days after buyer recieved he open a case for full refund because "item not as described" really? I chk hes feedback and he buy a lot of laptops and parts.. Im still have my 100% positive feedback and im selling laptops or parts since 2003 on ebay.
Please use plain text.
rabbitplush
Community Member

Same thing happened to me. I'm still nervous about transferring my funds on Paypal to my bank account because the buyer could open a claim any time. He hasn't contacted me in two -almost three- weeks even though he was raging about not receiving the item even though I shipped to the address on his PAYPAL account (tracking said it was delivered as well). -_-" I'm really starting to believe this is a scam partly because I informed him that I'm relatively new to selling on ebay (which I realized I maybe shouldn't have said) and this lack of communication.

Also, 45 days is a hell of a lot of time for a person to use a product and see if it works or not. Unless they don't care for the item that much, then they shouldn't care if they get their money back or not. If the usual refund period is ~30 days, 45 is PLENTY of time!!
Please use plain text.
soliddealsonline
Community Member

in reply to rabbitplush

rabbitplush wrote:
Same thing happened to me. I'm still nervous about transferring my funds on Paypal to my bank account because the buyer could open a claim any time. He hasn't contacted me in two -almost three- weeks even though he was raging about not receiving the item even though I shipped to the address on his PAYPAL account (tracking said it was delivered as well). -_-" I'm really starting to believe this is a scam partly because I informed him that I'm relatively new to selling on ebay (which I realized I maybe shouldn't have said) and this lack of communication.

As long as you have delivery confirmation proving delivery (or signature confirmation depending on the value), you will be covered if the case is for an Item Not Received.

Please use plain text.