cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commodore computers and software sellers

Ok so I am a commodore computer ethusiast, and I know quite  alot a bout them, I find it funny how people are trying to sell these without knowing anything about them. First of all they ARE NOT COLLECTIBLE. We that are into retro computing actually use them. Second, stop being so delusional and trying to sell them for hundreds of dollars, they are worth no more than fifty. Third, POWER TESTING means absolutely nothing to us. It means that electricity flows through but it says NOTHING about the working condition of the computer, and lastly, ITS NOT A COMPUTER KEYBOARD, the whole computer is in the keyboard. If you are trying to sell a commodore 64 please do your research. they are not worth 100, 200 300 or more. They are over 30 years old, they run on DOS, and they are not a museum pieces .

Also those folks trying to sell commodore software for outrageous prices, just so you know, commodore games and softwre can be downloaded free from the internet, from a number of sites. I saw someone selling a bunch of floppies for C64 for 200 bucks, all those games are available for free, on a bunch of websites. Magzines books and manuals  for commodore ALL OF THEM can  be dowloaded for free as well. Lookit up and you will see.

So stop trying to charge those outrageous prices and do you research, don't make a fool of yourself.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I'm sure the people who list their Commodore computers & software would find your post quite amusing. They couldn't care less if they are collectible or not. What is wrong with trying to make a profit? Stop trying to tell these sellers what to do. Yeah, games and software can be downloaded for free from the internet. But there are buyers who want the physical copies, not downloaded copies.

This goes for magazines, books & manuals as well. The people selling those Commodore computers and software are not fools. Man Indifferent

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

There are no restrictions on how you price items on eBay other than acceptance and if the item is genuine. If you are frustrated trying to buy some items, look for them more broadly. If you suspect fraudulent practices, talk to eBay.

Don't forget that a pair of vintage denim jeans from over 80 years ago sold for over $30,000 to a foreign bidder some time back, and that was a legitimate bid from a collector of those clothes.

The beauty of the Community is that you are free to pursue your dreams...they may or may not be met by the buyer's expectations and the seller will adjust or withdraw. There is nothing innately wrong with this, a free market operates like it should that way.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Oh I have not said there is anything wrong, I just see sellers postiong and reposting the same items 4 or 5 times over because it does not sell. The main reason they don't sell is because they really have no knowledge of what they are selling and are trying to sell for prices that will not sell. I think is a waste to time and money to post the same items 4 or 5 times for around the same outrageous price. If it doesn't sell the obvious reaon, at least when it comes ro commodore merchandise, its because of pricing. Example I just purchased a C64 for $48, plus $12 shipping. Another saller has been trying to sell the same thing for $199, and has re-listed about 3 times. The retrocomputing market is very limited to a fairly small  group. I think because these sellers don't know much about what they are selling, they end up not selling and reposting the same item over and over and making ebay more money. But whatever, i'm just giving my thoughts as a commodore enthusiast.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

diego.deleon,

You are over-reacting here and you are of course exaggerating. You may be a Commodore computer enthusiast, but you don't realize that the vintage products takes precedence over historical factions based on their conditions and values. One of your responders had set a great example of a vintage 80's pair of jeans which went into auction and it gained in value in the auction market place. Same is true for everything else. Now, I have to say that you are incorrect in your theory about the Commodore 64 computer systems. They are not merely strictly for usage, but they can be collectibles as well. I can tell you this, there is a large museum in Canada that displays many, many electronic devices which also includes computers. Why do they collect these and put them on display? Because they tell the history of when they first came out and who the creators are. This is beneficial for many students from schools all over to learn about them as part of the school education on the subject of Technology. However, the Commodore 64 systems did gain in value as much as over $2,000.00. I kid you not! As far as anything that is powered or not, still have their values, regardless. You should learn about the general vintage product market place and the kinds of things that are worth their values. Of course I have many vintage computers that holds values no matter how much they are worth and many of the buyers appreciates them when they purchase these from me. They will either put them to use or have them as part of their collections. It doesn't matter what they do with them as long as it fills their heart's content. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply