cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to fix doll cloudy eyes

The doll I just won has cloudy eyes.  Any idea how to fix them?  Any infor would be greatly appreciated.

No matter where you go...there your are.
Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: how to fix doll cloudy eyes

You did it! She's a beauty...Congratulations on your first 'cloudy eye removal' - Very well done!

"Love All.....Trust Few.....Do Wrong To None! Wm. Shakespeare
Message 16 of 45
latest reply

I have been in the doll business for almost 30 years, and whenever I've gotten dolls with cloudy eyes, no matter what I did they never cleared up.  I would end up selling them for parts really cheap just to get rid of them.  I just bought a collection of Madame Alexander Little Women dolls and most of them had the cloudy eyes.  I didn't notice when I bought them because they were lying down in the box and their eyes were closed.  I found this site when I was searching for how to clear up the eyes.  I've just spend the past 20 minutes trying this out on these six dolls....AND IT WORKED!!!  Their eyes are all clear as a bell now.  I'm going to pass this on to all of my doll customers.  Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!

Sidney Jeffrey

My Dolly Dearest

Message 17 of 45
latest reply

Wow!! Just tried this drier method on a vinyl Horsman ca 1960s with mold in the interior of her eyes. It worked in about 3-4 minutes of drier application on medium heat at about 9 inch distance from the eye. Pretty amazing.  Thanks for the tip everyone!

Message 18 of 45
latest reply

How do you fix cloudy doll eyes?

Message 19 of 45
latest reply

do you use a hair dryer?

Message 20 of 45
latest reply

Thanks I'll try it.   Any other tips will be appreciated.  

Message 21 of 45
latest reply

Hello from Germany,

I bought this doll, because she is still wonderful condition. By her eyes, there are cloudy...

https://www.rubylane.com/item/256797-2783/Vintage-20x22-Composition-Madame-Alex78ander-Sonja

Do you have a idea, how I can make her clear again? I know, some used sewing mashine oil to make the surface polished again, but I think, that will not change the crackling. Other peoples painted her a black pupil with any colors and that looks better. I plan to due that with oil or acrylic paint...

Maybe you have a better idea, because I don`t know, what material have these composition dolls eyes from the 30s.

Really thank you,

Heidi Lucas

Message 22 of 45
latest reply

Lovely Sonja Henie! Her irises have shattered, & that's not reversible. Don't use any kind of oil! It eventually leaches into the eye socket, causing discoloring. There are doll doctors who will replace the iris. I have painted the iris on a couple of my dolls, but I usually just prefer to leave them as they are. 
There's a composition doll restoration group on Facebook you might want to check out. Lots of knowledgeable people, and some instructional notes.

Message 23 of 45
latest reply

Yay! I came across this great info by accident - it was on Pinterest. Me and some Ginnette's are gonna have a girl's night- real soon. Thanks ladies!
Message 24 of 45
latest reply

Recently I sent two really nice compo dolls to a doll doctor who did a great job of replacing the eyes.

I was really pleased with his work.

Message 25 of 45
latest reply

What about hollywood baby dolls with the red eyes?

Considering buying some.

Thanks in advance.

Judith A. Siebers

No cell phone at this time. AT&T
Message 26 of 45
latest reply

Thank you!   I did the cone and hair dryer to this baby doll.  It worked in relatively short time.   Thank you again, Julie
78C4288C-86B7-4311-B918-19CA06BA0F54.jpeg10F10406-EEB0-4365-98DD-4A6A23B1A55F.jpeg

Message 27 of 45
latest reply

Nice Job!!!!

Message 28 of 45
latest reply

I realize this thread is a few years old but am wondering, does the heat from the hairdryer put the dolls lashes at risk? Have a 15" Ideal Revlon lady that has just a bit of dimming in one eye. Want to be sure I don't melt anything if I choose to try this method.

Thanks in advance!

Message 30 of 45
latest reply