cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to fix doll cloudy eyes

The doll I just won has cloudy eyes.  Any idea how to fix them?  Any infor would be greatly appreciated.

No matter where you go...there your are.
Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: how to fix doll cloudy eyes

Scroll down to the post entitled, "Before and After..." There is a thread in there about just this topic. You will use a blow dryer and a cone shaped piece of soft cardboard. I have followed this process and it works.

Other than that, you'd have to take the doll eyes out and either clean them at the risk of damaging them or replace them altogether. There are posts which also recommend using oil in the doll's eyes...That will just make the cloudy film translucent, not get rid of the problem. In fact, now you'll also have oil in the eye socket. The issue of cloudiness is caused by fungus growth in the eye cavity due to moisture. The heat of a blow drier will eradicate it.

"Love All.....Trust Few.....Do Wrong To None! Wm. Shakespeare
Message 2 of 45
latest reply

Thanks so much! I will try what you suggest.
Message 3 of 45
latest reply

Just to clarify, I have taken apart many doll eyes to clean them out - I do not recommend anyone do that because they can be easily ruined.

The cloudiness is caused by a hard waxy film that very strongly adheres to the plastic & metal surfaces - The eyelids are usually metal. I scrub with an old toothbrush, soap & water. That mess is very difficult to work out because you don't know how well you've done until everything is thoroughly dry. Just when you think you're done...There it is again.

I use wooden toothpicks to get into every nook and cranny to clear those eyes out [while watching Resurrection, of course!]. You usually have to repeat the process about three times to clean out the doll eyes this way. Then you have to put them back together and back into the doll without ruining the lashes or the doll! Very labor intensive. I'm a stickler for undertanding things to the core...This is why I've elected to go through the process of taking doll eyes apart. I'm so over it! LOL!!

The blow dryer method works very well and I highly recommend it.

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

Can you pleas tell me how you go about using the cardboard cone with the hair dryer? Thanks for any info.

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

ladybryant38,

Fashion a light cardboard cone with the small opening the size of one of your doll's eyes on one side and (on the other end) a wide enough opening for your blowdryer - Tape securely together so it keeps its shape. Place the cone over one of the doll's eyes. Begin with medium heat...Hold in place 10 minutes at a time and check the eye you're working on against the other eye. Repeat until the issue is cleared. Sometimes a higher heat setting is required. Then do the other eye. You will be literally melting the mold out of her eyes. Don't give up too soon...Be patient and persistent...It will work. I find that the 3rd round is usually when you begin to see the change.

Notes: I've never placed a wet cloth over the doll's face and indicated below. The issue only comes back if it's not eradicated in the first place and if she is again stored in the wrong environment.

This information is on the "Before & After...Share yours"  thread - I have copied and pasted the information below and credit these ladies with sharing:

Re: Before and Afters - Share Yours!
quiet_lady45
in reply to nieve
‎02-04-2014 09:49 AM

Hi Nieve,

If it may be of any help, this is what I do with the hair dryer.

Cover all the parts of the doll face with a damp, well wringed face cloth. (ONLY hard plastic or vinyl head. NEVER compo.)

Cut a square of strong white paper, or very light cardboard and roll it in a cone form.

Put the small end over the eye you want to "treat".

Direct the air, not too hot, not too close at first, through the larger part of the cone and... go lightly and be patient !

Usually, it clears the cloudy eyes and melt away the waxy, moldy residue.

And yes, it will eventually come back, but not always.  I did a doll's eyes about two years ago, and it is now a little blurry.  But never as much as before.

I do not take the credit of this method.  One of our "doll magicians" gave that trick years ago... and it works !

-------------------

nieve
in reply to edjw
‎02-03-2014 06:33 PM

I have aimed a hair dryer directly into my doll's eyes, different dolls, using different heat levels, different distance away, tried everything, and have NEVER had it clear up an eye problem.   Maybe once I thought it did, but it came right back.    I don't know what I'm doing wrong.   I'm sure I did it long enough because my fingers were burning from trying so long, as the shorter time didn't work, so I tried longer,    There must be more secrets besides just blowing into their eyes, actual details about distance, time it takes, and level of heat, because nothing I did worked!

----------------------

edjw
in reply to nieve
‎02-03-2014 05:15 PM

The white stuff on the doll's eyes is mold. It can usually be easily removed by using a hairdryer!. Blow warm air from the dryer at the doll's eyes to heat up the eyes. .Be careful not to get too close or too hot so you don't overheat the head and damage the face. After a few minutes, the mold will melt and disappear. This works when the mold is inside the eye and you can't wipe it off.
Elaine
doll lover since 1953

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

Ladybryant, it might be best to indicate what kind of doll you have.

I believe these instructions are for vinyl dolls of the 1950s and 1960s.

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

Yes, that's correct...Not just vinyl, but hard plastic as well. I don't think this happens to composition dolls because those with non-painted on eyes have glass eyes. This only occurs in the plastic eyes.

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

Ok, thanks.  I am going to  try the hair dryer cone thing and hopes it works.  I will get back later with results.  Thanks again!

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

Thanks for the info about cloudy eyes on vintage hard plastic and vinyl dolls.  There is an eye issue with older composition dolls that people call "blown eyes," "crystallized" eyes or "flat" eyes.  Many 1930s Shirley Temple dolls have them.  I don't believe the hairdryer trick (or the oil trick, which could make things worse) works for this problem.   There are people who specialize in replacing the iris of these compo doll eyes; I would never attempt this as an amateur ! ! !

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

Yes, you are correct. To clarify, the hair dryer method is for HARD PLASTIC dolls. You can use the process on older vinyl dolls whose eyes have clouded over, but proceed with caution so as not to cause damage to the vinyl.

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

LadyBryant38,

Please let us know how everything is coming along and share a before and after if you can.

Thank you.

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

I made a cardboard cone to fit her eyes and set it under the eye lashes. After about 2 mins. I checked and it worked! I was amazed! That tip worked wonders! Thanks so much for all the help you guys gave. I'm posting photos. Hope they come through ok.

Red head Uneeda doll 10-27-14.jpgRed head Uneeda doll-10-26-14_0179_edited-8 .jpg

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

Hi, Ladybryant,

You did a really good job !

It is always stressing when it is the first time.  

Thank you for sharing the results with us !

Quiet Lady

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

Thanks alot! I was so happy to see it worked. Now I'm cleaning her up and setting her hair. I had to make tiny velcro rollers because her hair is so short. When I'm done I will send photos.

Message 15 of 45
latest reply