cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indian Dolls by Shirley Coldsmith

I can't seem to find anything on this doll maker....  Shirley Coldsmith.  They are kind of cute, and made of paper mache.  Is anyone familiar with this doll artist?Coldsmith.jpg

Coldsmith5.jpg

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I don't know anything about the artist but they look like Li'l Luv dolls.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

First you need to go and put up clear pics of tags any info etc on the dolls if you are trying to get help identifying. There are numerous peoplewho made dolls back at that point in time and I saw part of Navajo on one of the dolls tags so start there. Call a tradepost from the area stamped on that and see what they know as far as doll and name. These are probably some kind of tourist dolls bought probably from the 4 corners surround rez area and that would be my first try. Keep in mind if that is the case any Dine could sell in the store that made something. Also, and moreso, at that point in time the laws weren't solid so maybe see was a nonNative individuals making dolls and calling them various tribal names in which case make that very clear in your listing and title of such.

There's truth in lies and lies in truth, would I lie to you???
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

You are so right!  They do look like Li'l Luv. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I know nothing of that particular doll but if it walks like a duck and quacks...if they are and have been dressed Native and not sold by Navajo or other tribal individual you should really put that in listing as stated and try to look up their images. I will actually buy and have some of Judy belles dolls from one collection as I like them but know what they are

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

also, there were various dolls tribes could buy wholesale and dress and resale for tourists to make some income and that is what I'm thinking could be with these dolls as i have googled images and came up with three dressed by 3 different tribal peoples and marked that on tags

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

The one with the tag has nothing on the opposite side of the tag.  She is signed as shown in the pictures; Shirley Coldsmith, 1982.  The other doll signed Shirley Coldsmith is the one carrying the blanket.  The third doll's feet look like the pictures of the feet on the Li'l Luv dolls, but there is no signature or mark; just a label that the previous owner attached that says Hopi Girl.

I searched the name Shirley Coldsmith and all I could find is that there is one Shirley Coldsmith in the country and that person is from Arizona.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

It says that Shirley Coldsmith is 83 years old

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I'm just catching this thread in regard to Shirley Coldsmith.  However, it's old.  Was the mystery solved?  I know Shirley.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I can't believe this!  Almost a year later and I first see your reply.  You know Shirley Coldsmith?  Can you provide any information on her dolls?  Thanks!!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply