cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great Grandma's doll

Hi, when my mother passed away I was given a doll that my mother said was her grandmothers.  I know exactly sqwat about them.  Can anyone help identify this doll.  I would like the history of origin and possibly the value.    It is approximatly 15" in height, it is made out of really solft white leather (Except the hands and head).  The eyes close and open depending on the angle of the doll.   The hair is horse type hair but I am not 100% sure on that but it isn't fake or manufactured.  That is about what I know.   Again, any help would be awesome.  Also, there are no marking anywhere I can see.  I would rather not pull off her hair to see but can if that is the only way.

The doll had a lot of damage on her dress so we stored that dress and put a new on her so she could be displayed.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Great Grandma's doll

Hi timmdl1,

Your doll is probably a German or French bisque head doll dating from the the late 1800's- early 1900's (she's more than likely German). However, I will need a clear close-up of the face to be sure of this. Did you check the back of her neck for marks?( you don't have to remove her wig). If you find any marks, try to photograph them.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Great Grandma's doll

Hi, thanks for the reply.  It looks like there is indeed an "F" stamped into the back of the neck.  I hope that might help.  I also included a closer picture of the face.   

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Great Grandma's doll

You're welcome, timmd1.  Your doll looks like a German antique, dating from the era I mentioned in my earlier reply.  The only thing that throws me is the painting of the eyebrows, something about them doesn't look right, perhaps the eyebrows have been repainted, I'm just not sure.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Great Grandma's doll

Maybe they were fur and when the fur fell out someone painted them?

Life could be wonderful if people would leave you alone
~Charlie Chaplin~
Message 5 of 5
latest reply