cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before and Afters - Share Yours!

Please post your before and afters on this thread.  Big or small, whole rehab or just a refreshing....and tell us how you did it!

I will start.  Here is Ideal 14" Sonja Henie doll before and after.  The crochet ensemble is "Bare Back Rider" by Mary Hoyer.....

Here is Before:

$_57.jpg

terri b photo terrib.jpg

I'm havin' fun!
Message 1 of 211
latest reply
210 REPLIES 210

Beautiful restoration! Toni dolls are so pretty.
Goldie
Goldie
Message 106 of 211
latest reply

I love Sweet Sue's soft expression.

That was a great idea...

Maybe because of the light, she looks more like a  redhead in the oval picture in the middle, but in the left and right ones, her hair colour is almost the same.

Again, congratulations !

Message 107 of 211
latest reply

Carolyn, you are a very brave person !

Those spots would have scared me to death.... even at $3.00 !!!

Fantastic restauration, she looks almost new, all fresh in her pretty dress.  Her hair seems so full, soft and shiny.

Great job !

Message 108 of 211
latest reply

YaaaaaaaY!  My heart just soars when I see these rehabs! Brilliant work, all!  Keep em coming!....terri

terri b photo terrib.jpg

I'm havin' fun!
Message 109 of 211
latest reply

That Toni is so sweet! All of the vintage Toni's that I've found ended up stinking. I did find a pair of repros (naked) at the thrift. They're still naked...

Message 110 of 211
latest reply

She turned out so beautiful.  Great job.  What magical potion  you use for the spots on the arm?

Message 111 of 211
latest reply

OMG!!! I've been away for a while and missed out on all these great makeovers! What a fantastic job everyone has done on these beautiful dolls. I adore them all!!

Because revamping a doll takes me "away," better than Calgon can - Very therapeutic, I just finished cleaning up these beauties:

The first tall doll is 1949 France compostion head w/straw filled cloth torso & limbs. Smaller doll is 1940s Slovakia composition over celluloid head with wood limbs, straw filled cloth torso - This one is a national costume doll representing Albania.

All I did was wash everything in Oxi-Clean and kept everything original. I added a wig to the tall doll and a wisp of hair and head wrap to the smaller doll.

Composition Dolls, 1949 France & Slovakia [Rep Albania].JPGComposition Dolls, 1949 France & Slovakia [Rep Albania] AFTER.JPG

These were purchased filthy and falling apart...I came close to tossing them in the trash for the amount of dust alone (I'm allergic)! They are both vintage Nishi Japanese dolls. The first one is a Red Hat  Dance Geisha. The smaller one is a Gofun Water Bearer - Note the inset eyes. Gofun is pulverized oyster shell, used to surface the outer layer of these composition dolls. Luckily, everything was in the bag (including pieces of the smaller doll's hair!) and just needed to be glued back in place after a good brushing. The small doll had a broken center support that I had to repin.

Nishi Geisha, Hat Dance & Gofun Water Bearer.JPG

Nishi Geisha, Hat Dance AFTER.JPGNishi Geisha,  Gofun Water Bearer AFTER.JPG

"Love All.....Trust Few.....Do Wrong To None! Wm. Shakespeare
Message 112 of 211
latest reply

Goldie...We all want to hear what those dreadful spots were and how you got them out. Kudos to you for this revamp...The doll looks brand new! Just gorgeous!!

Message 113 of 211
latest reply

Those weren't my Toni dolls with the spots!    I would also like to know what the spots were and how Carolyn got them out.

Goldie
Message 114 of 211
latest reply

Oh, right...sorry...Got my wires crossed. I meant to contact you regarding the beautiful Sweet Sue - What a nice job you did!!

Carolyn, please share!!

Message 115 of 211
latest reply

I am so sorry to be so slow getting back to this thread.

My posting ID was really messed up and I had to start all over--I still don't have my ME page or signature changed.

I registered so long ago that I can't remember how to make the changes.

Anyway, I don't know what those spots were on my Toni but they came off easily--I think I used a little Dawn & water.  It has been a while ago but I don't think I had to use anything stronger--especially not on her face.

Carolyn.

photo SignatureCJS.jpg
Message 116 of 211
latest reply

Some MAGICAL work here! My efforts are a little less spectacular I am afraid but was so much fun to do,some Sindy's have rock hard heads though and this is one of them. LIKE A STONE!! I don't think I've really achieved anything though unless I'm bleeding...lol...anyway here is a 1975 Ballerina Sindy before and after,   (she DOES still  need new lashes but I hate that job )

ba1.jpgba2.jpgpaul sindy 033.jpgpaul sindy 032.jpg

Message 117 of 211
latest reply

I was home with a cold yesterday, feeling pretty miserable-- and the postman brought me Shirley. Here's how she came, and how she looks now, waiting to get her hair primped so she can take a bow.Her outfit was a Molly'es for the next larger size Shirley. The new dress is a mommy-made from my stash.

ST4.jpg

ST3.JPG

010.JPG

013.JPG

Message 118 of 211
latest reply

My nudist Patsy family, strung and awaiting small repairs & clothes;

Patsys.JPG

020.JPG

Message 119 of 211
latest reply

Here's a 17 inch Anne Shirley. she came with the wardrobe but was definitely having a BAD hair day:

Anneshirleybefore.jpg

AnneShirleyfur.jpg

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems,

but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

~Herm Albright
Message 120 of 211
latest reply