cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before and Afters - Share Yours!

Please post your before and afters on this thread.  Big or small, whole rehab or just a refreshing....and tell us how you did it!

I will start.  Here is Ideal 14" Sonja Henie doll before and after.  The crochet ensemble is "Bare Back Rider" by Mary Hoyer.....

Here is Before:

$_57.jpg

terri b photo terrib.jpg

I'm havin' fun!
Message 1 of 211
latest reply
210 REPLIES 210

I prefer Tacky Glue (of course, you do :)) because it is not so runny as Elmer's sets up faster and is more pliable....terri

terri b photo terrib.jpg

I'm havin' fun!
Message 76 of 211
latest reply

Hi, Guys!

Here's a Tyco Kenya doll I just finished. Her hair was a tangled rat's nest. The ends were all frayed when I took out the braids, the tips of which had been wrapped in foil and twisted.

I still need to make her a skirt. For now, she borrowed a skirt from another doll just to take these photos for you. Enjoy!

1991 Tyco Kenya Doll 2.JPGDSC05985.JPGDSC05988.JPGDSC05990.JPG

"Love All.....Trust Few.....Do Wrong To None! Wm. Shakespeare
Message 77 of 211
latest reply

what you need is a tiny rubberband and a tiny long beading needle that you have attached to it with a knoted string and a crochet hook pull out the elastic and run to needle up over the metal bar at the top of the head holding onto the rubber band with the crochet hook on the other endand pull it down you will have both ends of the rubber band at that point in time grab your needlenose pliers and pull the rubber band to gently cut off string and release the needle after both ends of rubberband are held by the crochet hook then attach to a hook from the neck. The long bennding loom needles work the best. The hardest part is get the needle above the bar but once you've done that and caught it on the second side with the needlenose the rest is exasperating but easy

There's truth in lies and lies in truth, would I lie to you???
Message 78 of 211
latest reply

I haven't even gotten to the mountains of restringing I need to do and am lucky: of all my now unpacked dolls there have only been a few non stringing casualties one is the way composition doesn't like this area which is going to be a whole other enterprise for someone else with a few exceptions and this one was weird and bad: somehow the Italian dress on one doll severely stained that doll and the one next to its face! I have no idea what could have made it stain the other doll so bad but when unpacked it looked heinous the same with her dress which is unsalvagable Miss Israel is on her second spa treatment to get the horrible fushia stains off her face

Message 79 of 211
latest reply

I want to add how talented and impressed I am with others abilities here to restore dolls way past anything I think I could accomplish! The hair makeovewrs are as incredible as the doll restorations here!

Message 80 of 211
latest reply

here's a pic of the type of needle I am talking about I actually hate these for beading and only use them in certain situations but they are great for doll repair they are made out of very thing wire that has been folded and lightly braided and are perfect for doll repair for the same reason I hate them for beading unless needed: they bend easily for dolls they can get into areas and be bewnt to pull into other areas you couldn't otherwise reach

Message 81 of 211
latest reply

I just found a whole little package full of some needles like this in same drawer so message me if you want one/some

Message 82 of 211
latest reply

I use clear tacky glue for eyelashes and wigs.   I used regular Elmer's before and it ran wasn't nearly as good as the tacky glue.

Goldie
Message 83 of 211
latest reply

What are you using on the face of your Wendykins?  

Goldie
Message 84 of 211
latest reply

Would anybody like these 2  MA dolls to restore/refurbish or whatever. I realize they are pretty common and wouldn't sell for much, so I would like to give them to someone who can fix them up. They are mostly just dirty  with messy hair so probably wouldn't take too much fixing. dolls

Message 85 of 211
latest reply

OMG Each and everyone of these restorations is amazing. I would be thrilled to have your dolls come to my house for a makeover. I think that they are beautiful! I would be more than willing to send you the shipping costs to get them to me. Thanks so much! Michelle

Message 86 of 211
latest reply

That's great Michelle! Just send me your address and I will get them in the mail.

It would be fun to see them if you did restore them.  Smiley Happy

Message 87 of 211
latest reply

It's been ages since I've done any doll makeovers! It all started when I found a stry head in the craft room. I have no idea why it was in there, or where the body was. A search in the garage through the Goodwill box found a body, a Revlon, and a handful of 14R's. I didn't take before pics, but just imagine dirty, stained, ratty matted hair.

I think the 14R's get a bad rap, especially for their hair. They're no Cissy, but can still be pretty and charming.

photo 000_6347_zps1ec7459b.jpg photo 000_6346_zpsa14996ba.jpg photo 000_6366_zps0448c596.jpg photo 000_6363_zps35a631ae.jpg
Message 88 of 211
latest reply

is Revlon was a hot mess. Her one leg is stained and badly faded, so she need an outfit to cover that. She has a ton of hair, and all of it was a mess. I found this cool dress in my stash, made her a stole, and added a butterfly to match the dress.

photo 000_6384_zps11a72a4e.jpg photo 000_6380_zpsb4b35502.jpg photo 000_6374_zps9fee827b.jpg
Message 89 of 211
latest reply

I think this is a Belle Margie. Whoever she is, she was dirty. Really, really dirty.

photo 000_6331_zps157f58ce.jpg photo 000_6332_zps9b704941.jpg

Under all of that, she was just fine. Not a stain or a scratch on her!

photo 000_6353_zpsfcf1d917.jpg
Message 90 of 211
latest reply