cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before and Afters - Share Yours!

Please post your before and afters on this thread.  Big or small, whole rehab or just a refreshing....and tell us how you did it!

I will start.  Here is Ideal 14" Sonja Henie doll before and after.  The crochet ensemble is "Bare Back Rider" by Mary Hoyer.....

Here is Before:

$_57.jpg

terri b photo terrib.jpg

I'm havin' fun!
Message 1 of 211
latest reply
210 REPLIES 210

And After....

DSCN0056.JPG

terri b photo terrib.jpg

I'm havin' fun!
Message 2 of 211
latest reply

OMG You are like a magician! This transformation is AWESOME. Thanks for sharing. I so appreciate all of you on this board, your advise and tips, very informative tutorials, so much appreciated. Thanks so much! Michelle

Message 3 of 211
latest reply

Michelle is right ....

You really have a magic touch with doll's hair !   And knitting and crochet seem to have no secrets for you.

And you also share very generously your "know-how" and your expérience.  

This thread will be very interesting to look forward.

Thank you and congratulations !

I will try to post a B & A I did with a Made in England Saucy-walker type,  looking like a Pedigree but not marked so. She was a mess but in good condition.

But be patient... I am a REAL dinosaur with computer, but I will do my best !

(How I miss the old board ... but I will not start this complaint all over again, it is no use to look backward !)

Message 4 of 211
latest reply

< I haven't been posting for awhile, but since I'm snowed in, here is one of my before/afters. She is a Kley and Hahn Walkure, about 25" tall. She actually was wearing her original dress and shoes, and had her original short scraggly wig. I curled her hair, and fixed up her dress. I also added the antique bonnet and coat, which I modified from a vintage baby coat. >  photo 0.jpg photo IMG_3315.jpg photo IMG_3317.jpg
Elaine
doll lover since 1953
Photobucket
Message 5 of 211
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW WOW WOW!!  Can't believe she's the same doll!!!

Message 6 of 211
latest reply

All I can say is wow. Both of you are very talented, these dolls are like new! Michelle

Message 7 of 211
latest reply

Oh, she looks fabulous!  I adore her hair and bonnet and her dress and coat are perfect for her.  Plus after her makeover she looks quite smug and happy....that's the part I love the best.  Great makeover!....terri         who's next?

terri b photo terrib.jpg

I'm havin' fun!
Message 8 of 211
latest reply

Terri and Elaine!  great job!  But Elaine, your doll is simply amazing!  I can't help but laugh and please hope you don't mind, but the "flasher" before photo cracked me up.  What a make-over indeed.

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 9 of 211
latest reply

Hello,

OK, I'll play and share my former street urchins. Most of these have been posted here at one time or another, so bear with me if you've already seen them. 

I purchase old dolls all the time to revamp them - One of my favorite hobbies. I also take before and after photos and catalogue them, so I have a ton of photos to share. Here are some of my "transformations" - Most of these were purchased right here on eBay (excluding Cissy, who I found roasting in the window of an antique furniture store).

1957 20" Madame Alexander Cissy - She was extremely dirty and just needed a bath. I've since been able to lighten her darkened fingertips with 10% Benzoyl Peroxide treatments. I also made everything you see her wearing, including the fur and shoes.

0003 1957 MA Cissy 3.jpg  DSC01691.JPG DSC01860.JPG DSC04097.JPG

1953 18" R&B Nancy Lee and American Character Sweet Sue (walker):

$T2eC16R,!)EE9s2ugOeKBR4uZsp0ug~~60_57.jpgDSC02262.JPG

1957 18" Valentine Ballerina - Some days, I feel just like that!

1957 Valentine Ballerina Doll.jpgDSC02251.JPGDSC04987.JPG

1993 FayZah Spanos 14" Megan porcelain baby - Cleaned her up and made her a new blanket; added accessories.

1993 Fay Zah Spanos Sleeping Baby.JPGDSC04325.JPG

Baby doll lot 14 - 24" / 1960s & 1970s: Just cleaned them up.

DSC02687.JPG

1962 26" Sayco (Schoen & Yondorf Co.) boudoir doll - That's the same hair, just washed! Even I was shocked.

Before - Closeup.jpgDSC02037.JPG

DSC02040.JPG

1940s mechanical tin toys - Dirty outfits.

Mechanical Baby 1a.JPGMechanical Baby 2a.JPGDSC04995.JPG

1966 15" Effanbee Chipper with original wedding dress.
DSC01830.jpg DSC01830-b.JPG

1966 14" & 20" Madame Alexander babies. Now, even my dolls have dolls!

Madame Alexander Baby Dolls.jpgDSC04221.JPG

Vintage 1950s untagged supermarket dolls: I was so happy to have been able to salvage their original red dresses.

Doll Lot.JPG  DSC04341.JPG DSC04367.JPG

1950s 5" Galetti (Milano) celluloid dolls - Restrung, cleaned & dressed. Everything is hand stitched.

0063 Facing Roosters Dolls, Italy.jpg0064 DSC00095.JPG

1962 Effanbee 16" Gumbrop - Just needed a bath. The seller thought I dyed her hair!

1962 Effanbee Gumdrop.jpgDSC02526.JPGDSC04239.JPG

Vintage 12" celluloid Czech hunter doll. Just washed everything and made him a hat.

Czech Hunter.jpgCzech Hunter 2.JPG

1950s 18" from Spain: Remade arms, fixed torn lips, filled moth holes, made earrings, made lamb fur wig to replace balding one, cleaned & repaired holes in dress.

$(KGrHqNHJE4FJVC3Uf96BS,tr9KKk!~~60_57.jpg DSC03700.JPG

Well, that's just a few. I hope you've enjoyed viewing them as much as I've enjoyed working on them.

DSC04334.JPG

"Love All.....Trust Few.....Do Wrong To None! Wm. Shakespeare
Message 10 of 211
latest reply

Elaine, your doll is so beautiful. I want one just like that!
Message 11 of 211
latest reply

Oh, my goodness!  Amazing makeovers!  I am blown away by them all, but the boudrair (sp) doll is unbelievable!....great job and what a new lease on life for these dolls!....terri

terri b photo terrib.jpg

I'm havin' fun!
Message 12 of 211
latest reply

Hi, Terri -

I've enjoyed this hobby now for just under 2 years. I cleaned my first doll because I refuse to put anything dirty in my doll cabinet...and the rest is history. I started with small celluloids, graduated to medium sized cloth, and got sucked into hard plastic dolls of all sizes - Those smiling little faces got me! It's very rewarding/therapeutic for me to take a filthy doll from the bottom of a heap and "bring her back to life." I think there's a spiritual metaphor in there somewhere.

I am especially fond of German dolls (pre-1940s) like Elaine's - I absolutely consider their hand painted faces works of art. Celluloids, German bisques (Grafenthal), and small cloth bodied dolls are also favorites. I've learned so much through trial and (thank God, not too much) error. I've learned to take apart filthy, smelly "junk" cloth dolls (like the one from Spain in the photo, Klumpe, Magis, Nistis, Maria Helena, Baitz, Fiore, German papier mache head dolls, etc.) and remove their odors/make them as close to new as possible using as much of the original material as possible. If anything, I now know how to make one of these dolls from scratch!

$T2eC16FHJFwFFZ5VhhnBBRqPW+3S5!~~60_57.jpgDSC01777.JPG

Like you, I really enjoy looking at and appreciate all the work that goes into a doll makeover. I can't wait to see others post theirs.

By the way, my mother tried to teach me to crochet but I learned embroidery instead. I wish I had learned to crochet. If I had your talent, I'd absolutely purchase a set of MA Dionne Quintuplet 6-8" doll clones (the originals are $1,000), make them little matching romper/bonnet outfits in different pastel colors...blue, pink, lavendar, green, yellow, and place them all in a basket. How adorable would that be! Your profile picture tells me you can do it...

Stay well.

Message 13 of 211
latest reply

Wow!  Nice job.  How did you manage to get some of that hair to look so good?  The 1966 MA -20" -- and Gumdrop's hair look store crisp.  Did you just comb out, or whatever did you do to get them so dang cute??

Message 14 of 211
latest reply

Wow....................Amazing transformations!

Here are a few of mine. This girls hair was grey...

004.JPG012.JPG

AlexanderBabyGenius21.JPG002.JPG

Playpalcollage.jpg

unmarkedplaypalcollage.jpg

Life could be wonderful if people would leave you alone
~Charlie Chaplin~
Message 15 of 211
latest reply