eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

What's the deal with Little Mermaid Video & banned cover art

I have a Little Mermaid VHS tape I wanted to sell, but when I did a search to see its value, I found a bunch of people selling "recalled" or "banned" tapes because of the cover.
What's the deal with that, and how do I know if I have one of those videos? The UPC is 012257913033 and the ISBN is 1558909133. I can't find the year it was made anywhere on the tape or box.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.:-)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: What's the deal with Little Mermaid Video & banned cover art

in reply to chanti333
I found this info on the subject. It was banned because of phallic images which appeared in the cover design. (I don't want to be vulgar, lol, but you know, the body part between a man's legs):

The artist who drew the cover art was commissioned for the job and he was not an actual Disney employee. In his rush to complete the cover art, the artist hastily drew the background detail in the wee hours of the morning. It wasn't until someone called him for questioning that the artist even noticed the phallic image.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Un de l'original Mertzie flacque de bouers!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chanti333
Looks like a doorway to me.
Eye of the beholder I guess.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chanti333
well i think, it is the animators get bord so they put in things for themselvs, or now i think some movies have hidden mickey mouse heads in them, i know that the movie "Lion king 1 1/5 has an choice to watch the movie with the hidden mickey thing on.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chanti333
I answered a post about this earlier. It's because phallic images on the cover.

"As the story goes, a disgruntled Disney employee found out that he was being fired upon completion of the project, so in one last act of rebellion, he drew the phallus into the cover art."

"Compelling story, sure, but it's pure fabrication. Here's the straight facts: The artist who drew the cover art was commissioned for the job and he was not an actual Disney employee. In his rush to complete the cover art, the artist hastily drew the background detail in the wee hours of the morning. It wasn't until someone called him for questioning that the artist even noticed the phallic image."

"Needless to say, in later editions of The Little Mermaid, such as on the laser disc cover, the offending spire was removed."

You can find this story and the pictures of the images being referred to at this site:

http://www.animatedbuzz.com/WB/39.html

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Un de l'original Mertzie flacque de bouers!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chanti333
I have one of those older copies (mom bought it for me the day it came out!) I never noticed it till someone pointed it out but you know how sensitive some censorship parents can be
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chanti333
I have a copy as well. It's difficult to notice. You have to really look to notice it.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chanti333
Wasn't there a Disney movie of about that time period where some Disney employees did add in a couple frames of someone naked or something? You couldn't notice unless you stopped it at just the right point because the clip was so short. It was recalled as well.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chanti333
From Snopes:
On 8 January 1999, Disney announced a recall of the the home video version of their 1977 animated feature The Rescuers because it contained an "objectionable background image."

You can read the rest of the article the Snopes website. It is true.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chanti333
lol, yeah I remember that, I bought it just to see what the big deal was and it turned out that the copy I got was too new and it had already been edited out! I was so mad, I spent half an hour with the pause button checking every frame too. I eventually did see it online, 2 frames where you see a (very fuzzy image) topless chick, big whoop.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chanti333
Also I suppose the next thing on this thread will be the Lion King S-E-X in the clouds. I DID catch that one before it was a big scandal, my friends and I thought it was halarious when we saw it at 14 lol
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chanti333

The old version of the little mermaid also has a blip in it. I didn't notice till my sis showed me, but at the end when Ariel gets married right when the preacher say's "dearly beloveth watch his crotch. This was another reason why they recalled this version of The Little Mermaid.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chanti333
Ive seen that too, look close, its just his knee. I think people were really looking too hard for something naughty there.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chanti333
hidden items in art and software are often called easter eggs, check out the Dreamworks poster with hidden Disney character Mufasa in it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1419&item=3864187455&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

neat huh
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chanti333
if people have so little to do in life that they play hidden pictures all the time i feel sorry for them. boy, what a sad state it is when war is ok but some accidental slip of a brush isn't.
disgusting.
ladyfur
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chanti333
i didnt see the sex in the clouds.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chanti333
The Little Mermaid does have a Phallic spire on the video cover. Years ago my boyfriend and I actually noticed it after owning the video for several months, and we giggled a lot. I'm a graphic artist myself and find it impossible to believe this was an accident, even if the artist said it was! It is so obvious once you see it! I suppose our copy has increased in value. :-)
Please use plain text.
fancy*tails
Community Member

in reply to chanti333
I don't think they are worth much these days actually. I came across one today in fact and you can definitley see the image plain as day. I know at one time they were going for quite a bit but I don't think so anymore. Maybe because dvd's are the thing now? Who knows.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chanti333
I worked in a video store at the time it came out on VHS. I have the poster of the original artwork.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chanti333
Yeah, it's so graphic, I have a hard time believing that it was accidental as well. It clearly is what it is.