cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining a Disney license to sell

I'm a big collector of Disney memorabilia. I'd like to start selling it now. Does anyone know how to obtain a Disney license to sell? I'm sure that it may be hard to get, but I'm willing to try. Thanks!
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

I don't believe you need a "license"!

I've been selling Disney merchandise for almost 4 years, did not obtain a "license" and have not had any problems with eBay or Disney.

The items I sell come directly from Disneyland and/or Disney's California Adventure theme parks.
disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

willy403
Enthusiast
I dont think that you need one, Ive been selling disney memorabilla for over 5 years, never needed one, Good Luck!
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

skalphunter
Enthusiast
I am a reseller of Disney Merchandise & Collectables. 99 percent of my items come directly from Disney. You do not need a license to resell Disney Products. The only time you need a license to sell Disney Items is if you are producing Disney related merchandise which is not made by or sold by Disney Directly. Walmart, Target, KMart and other retail stores all have a licenses to sell Disney Merchandise which is produced strictly for them.

Hope this helps.
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

wamb0001
Enthusiast
Hi,
do you mean you are able ot contact disney and get items at a wholesale cost to resell them?
Thanks,
Angela
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

In my case, I go into Disneyland, or Disney's California Adventure, as a guest. and make my purchases. Therefore, I pay retail (minus discount as an annual passholder).
disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

disneyvillianess
Trailblazer
I've wondered it myself

I guess you get a hold of Disney and ask them

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

If you get your Disney merchandise from an authorized dealer (wholesale or otherwise) you don't need a merchandising license from Disney to sell it. Of course Disney items sold on the secondary market don't require licensing either. However, if you MANUFACTURE items with the name Disney or characters trademarked by Disney on them, you do need a license to sell them.
Message 8 of 29
latest reply

goofy2son
Enthusiast
Manufacturing also means copying!
Disney has a legal department located in Florida. It is more than likely that you would have to go through them to acquire a license to reproduce and sell. However, you should know that Disney regularly inspects the production facilities of it's licensees, and holds them to very stiff requirements and standards. If a licensee fails to meet those standards, Disney can and will seek another manufacturer that can.
If however, as everyone else has suggested, you simply want to sell off your collection; then you need do nothing more than list the items.
Message 9 of 29
latest reply

wdccaddict
Enthusiast
I like to start a disney store in Holland. Doe anybody know how to contact somebody at disney to become a wdcc disney dealer? Also secondairy market wdcc items, wholesale would be graet also.
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

You would need a license to display the Disney logo.
Message 11 of 29
latest reply

cinalv
Enthusiast
I would like to know where can I purchase Disney products at wholesale prices?
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

You may want to get a business license - a sales tax license - if you plan to sell a lot as, depending on your area, you may need to collect sales tax.
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

grreek777
Enthusiast
You need a sellers permit, as well as a business license. In addition, if your business name does not include your last name, you need a dba.

Got to this site for more: www.businessnameusa.com/info.htm
www.businessnameusa.com/business-license.htm
www.businessnameusa.com/2.htm
Message 14 of 29
latest reply

allthingspretty73
Enthusiast

The laws must have changed, as iv contacted disney in regards to purchasing from them and paying retail for the purpose of reselling and the corporate team advised I need a license to do so. You have to submit a written request. If you get caught selling there merchandise without written authorization or a licence there can be jail time involved. So be careful!!

Message 15 of 29
latest reply