cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining a Disney license to sell

I'm a big collector of Disney memorabilia. I'd like to start selling it now. Does anyone know how to obtain a Disney license to sell? I'm sure that it may be hard to get, but I'm willing to try. Thanks!
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Obtaining a Disney license to sell

Hi allthingspretty73, thanks for your input as I am also looking at reselling some of Disney merchandise and has been reading up on the licensing issues. Did you submit the written request? Is it very difficult to get the authorisation from Disney?
Message 16 of 29
latest reply

I am planning to buy Disney store products from http://www.disneystore.com and reselling the products in other countries where they don't have Disney stores or don’t even ship like India, Singapore etc, "business" . As of recently I am in the process of opening a online store at a popular websites in india like ebay.in or amazon.in. I would be selling all disney store products that I have imported from the U.S.

I've been reading some forums and wanted to know if it's ok to resell? or... do I need permission from Disney? I buy in bulk directly from disneystore.com and re-sell same product in a different country.. Am I doing something unlawful

Looking forward to you're response

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

It's ok. I do the same thing and I called Disney store and asked. That's why on some things Disney offers a price break if you by more. I also own a store and attend the trade shows. You have to be registered with you state and have a tax id to go to the trade shows.
Message 18 of 29
latest reply

I personally have a business license, tax id #, store front and pay sales tax. I buy wholesale from Dealers who are registered through Disney as well as Disney itself at wholesale prices. I know you have to have a store front and most of the companies will send out a rep to meet with you, want a tour of your store and you'll have to supply them with a copy of your business license and a copy of your sales tax form before they will give you a catalog or the wholesale prices. They will even call the state your in to make sure your business license is still legal. It took me 3 months before I was cleared to start buying at most places. Be prepared to spend a lot of money since they only sell by the cases and each case is of the same item (example: you have to order a case of a dopey keychain and depending who it's from it can be 100 of that same 1 item). Some cases are as little as 24 of the same item to 150 or more of the same item. So you will sit on it for a while and then some will make you spend no less then $250 to $5,000 per order and don't forget shipping cost. My location is 5 miles from one of the wholesales and they allow people to go pick out what they want and take it with you. That location requires you to have all your business forms and well as a business charge card in your companies name or a check in your companies name, you pay $25 per person for ID cards and allowed to register up to 2 employees (you have to show proof they are your employees), the employee will have to also so ID and if the employee is terminated , you have tell them immediately so they can pull their ID cards and then you can replace that person with another and pay another $25. I hope this helps.
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Even selling on Ebay, if you sell over a curtain amount you will receive a 1099 and have to file a schedule C (business return) with your tax return. If you don't collect sales tax, you could get in trouble with your state and some counties won't allow you to run a business from your home. I do know for a fact that most wholesales will not sell to you if you don't have a store front - that's why they take the time and come out to check your location out, check to make sure your business is legal through your state, some ask for references from other companies you purchase from, make sure your not behind on sales tax, you have a business bank account, business credit card on their file and when all that is finished they will give you catalogs, online access along with wholesale pricing and several times a year the rep show up at your business to say hello and make sure your still in business and your orders must be shipped to your business.
Message 20 of 29
latest reply

Hi,
For buying from one country and selling in another you will need a license from Disney for your country of operations, sales. You can buy official merchandise from Indian authorised licensee and resell.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

yes but how do you get the discount in order to sell for some profit?
Message 22 of 29
latest reply

This is a little off topic but are companies that have licensing agreements with Disney like Hot Topic allowed to resell their mechandise to  a 3rd party at wholesale prices? Or does this breach thier agreement?

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

I would like to know more about this. Do you think Amazon india  allow us to resell it ?

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

I just read that if you bought a product legally. you can resell without having a licence. Let's say you bought the product at walmart or someone bought it for you. You can resell the product without permission

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

You don't need a license, just live in the Disney area and mark up items 200%. And you can't have a conscience.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

How can I get a Disney license for merchandise which is produced by me?

Best,

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

@arigatimes wrote:

How can I get a Disney license for merchandise which is produced by me?

Best,

You would have to contact Disney with a proposal and a business plan before you produce anything. Otherwise, you will be infringing their copyright from the start.

It is highly unlikely that they would agree to allow you to produce merchandise with their branding. They make a lot of money doing it themselves.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

You don't need one to resell Disney items, just if you are creating products with Disney's property on them.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply