eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

100 years of magic dvd set, real or not?

Help me!!!! I love that disney 100 yrs of magic dvd set, the one with 110 dvd's? My thing is I don't think a real one exsist! I think they are all bootlegs. I researched the web, IMBD, DISNEY.com, bootleg list, many chat rooms. And all I find are these chinese/american copies.

My true disney friend's, did Disney really release this as an import from china or is everyset on amazon, ioffer, and ebay all fakes?

Thank you so much for any help
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chaoticlunatic75
Hi there.

It's my understanding that those sets are Imports. They have Chinese writing on the discs and do not come with cases, since they are in a set. If you look closely, you can see the foreign language on the outer box.

Be careful if you purchase a set. These are cheap versions and probably will not even work on your DVD player. Besides the fact that they have no value in the US, being they are imports.
Personally, I stay clear from all imports.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

They're great! bought a set myself. Probably boots, but they are a great value and if boots, a good job.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Well, I kept the set I bought. I have researched this extensively. Disney to my knowledge and research never authorized this set from there studio. All versions in this tin and under the name 100 Years of Magic, 110 Disney DVD Collectors tin are BOOTLEGS. But, after painstakingly going through each DVD, about 10% are messed up. Examples, disk doesnt have proper spelling ie. "Lion King" was "ion King", "Pochahatos" sound lags a bit from the movie midway through it. Aladdin the third is only in Japenese with no option made availible for english. And Return to Neverland was just Peter Pan again.
Irregardless of some of the mistakes getting over $2000 worth of DVD for $179 is not to shabby. I am not a fan of helping out the bootleg industry, but for my own personal collection, it was worth the money!!!!!! If you can overlook the chinese writing and the hassel of restarting the movie to get an english language you may like this.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

so here's the deal. are these disney videos really up to snuff? probably bootlegs...i have no doubt about it...but the kicker is....you are getting one heck of a deal for your money. i bought the exact thing thru the baby einstein videos 2 years ago. i purchased 15 for only $20 and they are originally $25 a piece! was it a deal? YES! they all work perfect...in fact...they came straight from asia so i have no doubt they are a bit suspicious but, hey every single one works great and can't tell any difference. totally worth the money!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I also bought a set that now includes 132 DVD's. It was purchased on another auction site for half the price that they sell for on ebay. It ships direct from China and was received in about 1 week.

The quality is great and so far all tested work. This is a great collection and a great price. They do have chinese & english writing on the disc but are original soundtracks in english and you have the option to choose no sub titles when you view them.

I am happy to be able to purchase these dvd's for my grand children without having to mortgage my house.

If anyone is considering purchasing this set, check other auction sites outside of ebay for a better deal. Sellers here at ebay are buying them direct from China and reselling them here for twice the price.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Here is the deal, of course it's 100% Asian bootleg, but you knew that.. The quality varies from impressive to DVD rips of OLD VHS tapes.

Here is a list of BAD VHS Transfers,
Aladdin, Lion King, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Bambi, Sword and the stone, Jungle Book, 3 cabaleros....

Here are some mistakes and strange discs.
-Return to Neverland is actually Peter Pan again, However this is a great quality version! Go Figure You lose one you get one
-3 musketeers is a second bad copy of 3 cabaleros
-Fun and Fancy Free is some kind of pre school educational dvd
-The Three Pigs is not Disney and is very poor animation from God knows where.
-Several non Disney discs are 10 discs of Tom and Jerry! Yes 10!-- The Wild Swans is some Russian Animation, Gullivers Travels, Felix the cat, Casper, and daffy duck all not Disney.. Disc 77 with a Chinese rabbit on it, looks like its not Disney, but it actually is. Its and assortment of Merry Melodies.
-The is something like 8-10 disc of Disney Cartoons with many repeats.

And lastly these are strange DVD's that are imbalanced and might make noise in your DVD player...

This set has allot of problems, just like all the other Chinese Bootleg boxed sets that have been sold over the years. However, this is still a good deal if you buy it for CHEAP.. Under 150.00 USD You will get your money's worth. P.S. this is not just issues with my set, they are all identical and other people have the same EXACT findings as I do.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Just to add a few things about this set:

There are a few VHS transfers...most are still pretty decent if you're not completely spoiled with DVD quality. Alice in Wonderland is probably the worst...the combination of poor audio and visual make it unwatchable.

Here's a few things I've found that haven't been mentioned yet:

A Bugs Life will NOT work in any way shape or form...may be my specific disc was never finalized.

Three Caba. is NOT in English audio..completely chinese screen selections so no way to tell if fixable
Tarzan 2 is NOT in English Audio...also no English screen selections

Several others are ALL chinese screen selection...you can get through them by just hitting play repeatedly, but it takes forever.

Recess Schools Out-is actually Recess Christmas

101 Dalmations and 101 Dalmations 2 are the correct movies, but completely wrong cover art (Glenn Close from live action movies on both)

Treasure Planet...labeled as Treasure Plane

One disc is labeled "Goofy Sport" with a picture of Max from the Goofy Movie on it. This is just a collection of old Goofy cartoons.

Overall though, very pleased as the majority of discs are just fine. Just thought I'd add a few more flaws to the list. I've only gotten through about 70 of them. I bought the "made by Disney specifically for the Asian Market" thing...I guess I'm gullible/optimistic/a huge sucker. If a deal seems too good to be true...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

The original chinese version cost about $180 plus shipping if you want quality.
The bad copies cost about $100. Maybe there is a lot bad copies you guys have.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: 100 years of magic dvd set, real or not?

Can you tell me which site and where you got yours? I am looking and don't want a dud!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Do you know where it is best to purchase from that you will get the good quality?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I bought this Disney ‘new’ 164 discs set from cartoon77.com, this is probably a new version and it has Wall E in it! this web site has a whole range of cartoons at very low price, if you ignore the Chinese language on the case and considering how much I paid it’s just perfect! And the quality is very good! All the movies have great quality video and sound playback. Some movies are widescreen, others are not. Several discs have Chinese (or multi lingual) DVD-menus, which can make navigating through them difficult. Comes with a list of all movies (in English and Chinese), and each disc is numbered so they are easy to find. Also, many discs only have Chinese titles printed on them, however you can easily tell what movie it is by the disc artwork or by the disc number.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi there, Can you please tell us what the site is and how much you paid including shipping? I bought a set off e-bay and it is total CAOS! It's a mess. I paid over $300.00. In the set that you ordered, have you found any mistakes, is it simple to get to the English version or complicated, like the one I bought. I would appreciate any help you can give on this matter! Thanks again.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

hi i was just wondering where you bought your dvd set from and how much you paid?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Just to get this straight. This set IS A BOOTLEG there are no official versions. I think if anyone is trying to convince you this is not a bootleg and an real version exist, then they will also be the ones selling them. Like I said a while ago is you paid more than a hundred for this you got ripped off. And honestly, just dont bother with this crap. If i could have my Hundred bucks back I would do it in a heartbeat.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I asked Disney if I should buy it.

Quote "This is a Pirated set. These DVDs were manufactured illegally to be a copy of the originals and are not authorized by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. Often these copied DVDs will display quality and playback issues. "

Ask them yourself if you want.
contactus@Disneystudiohelp.com
tips@disneyantipiracy.com
Please use plain text.
Community Member

to the ones that bought the dvds do you know if an option for audio is spanish?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

cartoon77.com has been busted by the federal government - the site no longer exists and they are being prosecuted for trafficking bootlegged dvds

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Just to give an update on this.

I recently bought this box set from an online DVD Store. It seemed American, but after buying and seeing the telephone number on the receipt, it was based in Hong Kong. I was quite Naieve as I genuinely believed this must be some kind of special edition from Disney, geared to the Chinese market, maybe to boost the brand I don't know, maybe in advance of the Shanghai Disneyland opening.

The box set arrived, clearly looking at the outside packaging, it's dodgy. The writing is real "Chinglish" with bad spelling errors and more.

The quality of the DVD's is very suspect.

Let me say from the off, these DVD's, the overwhelming majority will NOT work in your DVD player. On inspecting them, you can see how cheaply they've obviously been made when comparing to a normal DVD. How cheap do these guys have to be not to buy just a load of normal blank DVD's? They even have to skimp on this as well!

They will work in your PC which was fine for me as I planned to rip the ones I want on my PC so I could play them on Apple TV anyway. But if you're buying these planning to watch them on your normal DVD then forget it. The quality of the movies themselves is extremely hit and miss and most are miss to be honest.

All the Pixar ones are excellent. They were obviously ripped from the actual DVD's. The issue is with the older movies with many so obviously taken from the VHS copies. And note, you'll be greeted by Chinese menus on most films when you put them in!

As stated by other posters above, the following are bad quality versions.

Alice in Wonderland - awful

Bambi - awful

Dumbo - bad

Sleeping Beauty - awful

Aladdin - awful

The Lion King -awful

Fantasia - awful

Lady and the Tramp - awful

Sword and the Stone - bad

Pinocchio - can't even rip this one as the DVD is locked, can't enter its files.

Jungle Book - bad

Hunchback of Notre Dame - bad

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad - bad

Now that's a fair chunk of real Disney Classics and those films would be one of the reasons to buy this, getting all these classics in one set. The quality is just bad.....Grainy, flickering and the colours are wrong and the sound is awful. To contract this, I bought "Alice in Wonderland" on iTunes and the difference is frankly embarassing! The colours are so rich and vibrant, it's been immaculately restored and the sound excellent. I also bought the Lion King HD version on iTunes and that really takes things to a new level! So it's stark when you see how these movies can look and when you go back to these versions in this set, it's despressing!

Now for the good...

Peter Pan - as stated previously, the good cut is under the title "Return to Neverland"

Cinderella - good cut

Snow White - good cut

101 Dalmatians - good

Winnie the Pooh Many Adventures - good

ALL the Pixar movies are very good. They all look excellent

So you have to weigh it up. If I had known the above before, I never would have bought these. I don't like buying Chinese bootlegs I have to say. I paid 130 dollars so I guess if you take the movies I have been able to use, it's about 15 so far, I'm already doing well at just that...Though I have ZERO interest in the other stuff they stuck in. A load of Sponge Bob DVD's?? Tom & Jerry, The Berenstain Beans etc. No interest.

My advice is don't get this. It's a pain having to go through all these, trying to find decent copies with the bulk being rubbish. Save your money and take your time buying proper versions. Over iTunes or on Amazon and get them 2nd hand if price is the issue. Good quality is worth the extra bucks.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Just a quick further addition to this.

Films like Tarzan and Mulan are excellent cuts, Dinosaur, Emperors new Groove etc as well.

All the more "modern" movies that would have come out on DVD you can rely on.

Please use plain text.