cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this fenton? northwood? and what is it?

Bought this today at an estate sale and I have no idea what it is.  I am guessing it might be Fenton or unmarked Northwood...  Stands about 5" high and the bottom part is about 6" across.  Glass is blue underneath the irredescent surface. It is two pieces.  Any ideas of help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PS...also wondering when you measure a Swung style vase, do you measure height to the lowest part or the highest part?  Thanks again!

Christine (winstonfremont)Photo Oct 21, 12 54 44 PM.jpgPhoto Oct 21, 12 54 54 PM (1).jpgPhoto Oct 21, 12 54 32 PM.jpgPhoto Oct 21, 12 54 44 PM (1).jpgPhoto Oct 21, 12 54 54 PM (1).jpgPhoto Oct 21, 12 55 03 PM.jpgPhoto Oct 21, 12 55 13 PM (1).jpg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hello,  Try looking for an epergne and bowl.  The epergne part is the vase that fits in the hole on the bowl.  The base color looks to me like cobalt blue, there are several grape patterns, I have been looking for a site that will show me the Heavy Iris pattern.  I typed in Heavy Iris, carnival glass and found a site on carnivall glass that showed me that pattern.  If you try that by searching for grape carnival glass, maybe you will find the exact match.  Good luck.  I am still trying to figure out a price for this Heavy Iris water set.  Sometimes it is a trick to do.  Sharon

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

thanks so much...that is what it is, a small fenton epergne....  I thought it looked familiar.....but couldn't place it!  do you happen to know how to measure the height of a swung vase?  I also got a fenton ribbed vase today and I am never sure if you need to measure to the highest part or the lowest part.

Thanks again for all your help and knowledge!

Have a great weekend.

Christine

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Hello again,  Did you see what I meant about all of the grape patterns?  It is pretty hard unless you have the piece in front of you, or it is for me, to see which grape pattern it is.  About the Fenton swung vase, do you know the pattern? If you could show a picture or know the pattern I could be of more help. Sharon

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Hello again sharon- I did see what you meant and I did find one sale of the exact same piece.  Thanks for all the info.  I have attached a picture of the vase.  I am pretty sure it is Fenton Fine Rib pattern.  It is pretty tall...measures over between 15 and 16" at the highest point. Is this how I should measure it. As always, your help is amazing and always appreciated.

Have a good night!

Christine

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Good morning,  I think you are right about it being Fenton.  One of the books I use on Carnival glass shows the difference between Northwoods Fine rib and Fentons.  One big difference is the ribs go all the way to the bottom on the Northwood vase.  This books shows vases in this pattern from 7" to 15", so if yours measures 15" to the tallest part, that is the measurement I would use, sometimes I say what the opening at the top measures.   Thanks for the compliment.  Sharon

Message 6 of 6
latest reply