cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resl Lenz - West German Ornaments?

I am looking for the history of Resl Lenz Christmas ornaments. What company produced them, for how long, etc. Most Resl Lenz ornamants have a small red sticker that has an angel and says: Resl Lenz Made in W. Germany.

I've been searching the web but so far have been unsuccessful in locating any information.

I do know the ornaments were made at least during the 70's (when my mother purchased several) and at one point were offered in the Smithsonian gift catalog at some time which called them reproductions of 1890's style ornaments.(Gleaned from an ebay listing). They were also sold by specialty stores in the U.S. such as Bronner's in Michigan. I don't know if the ornaments are still made but I'm guessing not since I can't find them online anywhere.

The ornaments themselves are typically clear glass balls, with a foil figure (tree, santa, angel, snowflake, etc.) hanging inside, and a foil star bottom.

Any history, pointers, or leads gratefully welcomed.

-j fielden
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Resl Lenz - West German Ornaments?

Having the same question regarding Resl Lenz, I just found the following information on Itsy pertaining to a Resl Lenz ornament. 

West German collectible
Vintage Resl Lenz blown glass ornament, gold foil Partridge.

The company was started by Resl Lenz in 1949, and continues today as a "Mom and Pop" run by she, her husband and daughter. Her work is sought after and highly collectible. The work is impeccable and quite beautiful.

This Vintage piece is handmade of blown glass, heavy aluminum foil and beads.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

I recently did a search for the gold foil circles ornament with gold small beads that  encircled the foil circles. I was so surprised to discover the ornament I loved as a child used to be encased in glass. Apparently it had already broke before my childhood memories of it. I bought a newer version in red. I hope that your family's company can make some gold foil circle ones with the similar small gold beads around it, right now the newer ones only have the clear, larger beads with the gold foil circles.

I loved this ornament as a child until sadly it fell to pieces. I have seen a few on ebay of the 1968 version with the mercury glass beads.

Thanks so much for still being around as a company!

Sincerely,

Barbara LeBlanc

barbmarie@hotmail.com

@stki88 wrote:
Hello all,

I am not sure, if this is still interesting.

I am Resl Lenz' granddaughter, and now my mother Juliane Muijsson-Lenz has taken over the business (some years ago).

My grandmother started with the ornaments 50 years ago and she and also my grandfather are still very busy helping my mum with the business.

Should you be interested to learn more about the history of Lenz - Kugeln just have a look at our homepage: www.resl-lenz.de

By the way if you want to clean the balls inside, open the golden top very carefully, then you take a paper towel with some cleaning agent on it and bind it around some kind of stick (like a pencil). Then you can clean the inside very carefully and fix the top again.

We also have trade partners for the USA. More information you can find on our web site.

It was a pleasure for me to read that my grandmother's balls have travelled so far and that some of you have them already for such a long time. I am very proud of my grandmother who started a business all on her own 50 years ago. I thank you very much and wish you all the best!

Yours Brigitte Kirmeier (former Muijsson-Lenz)

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Not sure the cleaning can be done with the newer ones, the top and bottom is glued pretty strongly to the glass.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

I know this thread isn't current, but my family also has the same set of ornaments from FAO schwartz.  And for YEARS I've been looking on eBay and antiques dealers trying to find out who they were made by and if I could find more.  They are so loved by my family and it's been on ongoing quest to figure this out.  So did Resl Lenz design them for FAO Schwatz?  Any information on the topic would be a Christmas miracle!   Here's a photo of one of the ornaments!1214141028.jpg

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Hello,  just to let you know that the Resl Lenz ornaments are still being made in Germany and we're the importer of the ornaments in the USA.  If you go to Deutschland Collectibles website you'll find all the Resl Lenz ornaments that are currently made plus we list them on Ebay.

Here's our link of all the Resl Lenz ornaments

http://www.deutschlandcollectibles.com/resl-lenz

Steve Carbone

Deutschland Collectibles

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

The ornament you're talking about isn't a Resl Lenz ornament. Resl Lenz ornaments are made with gold foil inside the glass ball and there not animals. We have seen some in Germany when we go there but never been able to find out who makes them
Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Yes, you have to take the gold foil off the bottom and clean with glass cleaner but you'll need to replace the gold foil on the bottom.
Message 22 of 26
latest reply

you can check Bearbooboo auctions they are the importer for Resl Lenz ornament and they have a website.

http://www.deutschlandcollectibles.com/resl-lenz

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

We are the largest importer of Resl Lenz ornaments in the US. Members of the Lenz family even came to our store to do demonstrations in 2014 and 2015. Theyt have a very special series "The Twelve Days of Christmas" which we carry. As of 2016, they have 5 of the Days of Christmas available. Our current collection can be found here: http://www.thechristmashausonline.com/releglor.html

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

I read if you hang a Resl Lenz over a light bulb, when it warms the bottom gold foil, the ornament rotates. Did not see this aspect mentioned, and I have no way of checking. Resl Lenz was a childhood favorite ornament of mine.
Message 25 of 26
latest reply

It was a Resl Lenz ornament and the deer was made by Wagner. Lenz produced many ornaments with the Wagner animals. They show up fairly often on Ebay
Message 26 of 26
latest reply