cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLEANING MY SHINY BRITE ORNAMENTS. I don't want to ruin them.

I bought a box of old Shiny Brite ornaments and some other glass orn. They are so dirty. Is there a safe way to clean them? I did a board search and couldn't find any specifics. I tried a moist paper towel on a broken piece and it took off the snow AND the paint. Can you please help me?
Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: CLEANING MY SHINY BRITE ORNAMENTS. I don't want to ruin them.

If you decide to do a test list, I would be interested to see how your auction ended, if the added protection hurt or helped.
Message 46 of 62
latest reply

I did a search last November on this same subject, I read to use spit to shine them. I don't know if this suggestion  worked, I was to afraid to try it, has anyone heard about this technique? Does anyone know if this actually works?

Message 47 of 62
latest reply

I will very lightly dab Q Tips on my tongue and clean ornaments. Sometimes I will slightly dampen a soft paper towel and very gently wipe them looking at the towel each wipe to see if color is coming off. 

I use my ornaments and don't worry about their value to others as much as their value to me, so I am not shy about restoring the glitter and snow. I use very fine glitter and watered down Elmer's glue and a fine paint brush. It can make old ornaments look like new again. 

Message 48 of 62
latest reply

One last thing I want to mention. I wear thin cotton gloves when I remove my ornaments to protect them from my body oils and to dust them at the same time. 

Message 49 of 62
latest reply

I have had good luck cleaning and removing flocking overspray from vintage ornaments using Old English Lemon Oil polish.  It cleans well and gives a nice shine.

Message 50 of 62
latest reply

You can buy old Shiney Brite caps on EBay!

Message 51 of 62
latest reply

My exact thought as well!!!

Message 52 of 62
latest reply

Ive done the same technique to restore the mica glitter except I add a bit of white tempera or latex paint to the Elmers glue. For a bit of an antiqued look you can add some very fine, burnished gold glitter to the plain mica. It gives the appearance of age, but has the shiney glitter effect. I also use Qtip swabs and a soft make up brush to clean them before restoring. Im thinking of testing permanent markers to touch up knicks of paint. Thats next!

Message 53 of 62
latest reply

Try baking soda and lemon jiuce mixture rub softly with this solution your stuff will shine like new.

Regards

Message 54 of 62
latest reply

baking soda n lemon juice mixture will do wonder.

Message 55 of 62
latest reply

I use no solution.  I use a feather duster and dust them off carefully not dusting the snow off.

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.

Message 56 of 62
latest reply

Those with cardboard hangers are super duper rare! They were made during WWII. 

Message 57 of 62
latest reply

They made the cardboard hangers during WW II due to rationing. Keep those!!! That's how you know it is WW II era ornaments
Message 58 of 62
latest reply

Great idea to redecorate them. Mica fade just disappears when touched. Mine are oldies. 

Message 59 of 62
latest reply

Pledge works! Not full restoration or anything but better than a brush alone and the protective coating is probably not a bad thing. (Please can anyone tell me why NOT to do this? Thx.)

I spray a very small amount, spread around lightly for even coating, wait a few minutes (to homogenize with as much dirt as possible so I won't repeat the process, as any "touching" is a risk for damage to me)... then wipe with a very soft cloth. For Shiny Brite and things with glitter/glue designs I basically use a Q-tip to apply to the more intricate areas then again to remove, because I try to avoid the designs as I am not chemically minded enough to know what oil/wax might do to glue over years (but so far so good! just careful.) Finally when I have wiped up the dirt and it is just slightly oily I wrap the whole thing in a paper towel for a while to draw away any remaining product.

Please give comments-- been doing this every few years and no negative effects... but I'd like to hear from people with restoring backgrounds. Thx!
Message 60 of 62
latest reply