cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purpose of short-legged chairs?

I got one of those short-legged ladder-back chairs at a garage sale this past weekend....you know, the seat is very low to the ground because there is not much leg below the seat. I'm thinking I've read somewhere that there was a specific purpose for making chairs this way.....or is it just made for children? Thanks!

(Ain't garage-saleing fun?!) 🙂
Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

The Hubby says it was made for a child. A pic would be nice. Make it small enough for dialup people though.
Only when the last tree has been cut down
Only when the last river has been poisoned
Only after the last fish has been caught
Only then will you find money cannot be eaten
~~ Cree Prophecy ~~
Hate is like burning down a house to kill the fleas. Not worth it!!
Message 2 of 44
latest reply

Well, I figured everyone would be able to tell what I was talking about just from a description, but if everyone wants pics, I can do that later. 🙂
Message 3 of 44
latest reply

Are these chairs really old? You know that people are bigger now than they used to be. We looked at adult antique clothing in a museum once and they appeared to be for children they were that small.

I imagine that short legged chairs did have a specific purpose. Thinking about that and how high a person/child would be sitting in one it makes me wonder if there were not also some shorter tables as well. Otherwise how would they reach their plates?
Message 4 of 44
latest reply

I know!

A beach chair! :^O
Message 5 of 44
latest reply

I'm sure not connoisseur of antique type chairs which I guess is what you have, but the "queen anne" has short legs from what I gather. Perhaps folks back then were shorter and with all the frivolity of garment it was easier and more graceful than having their feet dangling off the floor?!

Bump...
Message 6 of 44
latest reply

Sounds like you may possibly have a 'birthing chair' which allows a woman in labour to squat, yet have some support.
Message 7 of 44
latest reply

I looked on the web this morning at work, got busy, and forgot about this post. It could possibly be a nursing chair. Birthing chair makes sense also.
~ Nancy ~
Message 8 of 44
latest reply

Oh puhleeze, not a birthing chair! Being 7 months pregnant the thought is horrible!

It could be so, but it is more likely a beach chair. Like an adirondack. The short legs keep you above the sand fleas, and out of the water.
Warm regards,
Nancy
Message 9 of 44
latest reply

My mom says her Granny had one when she was a kid. The just called it "Little Grandma's Chair" because Little Grandma always sat in it. (She was a tiny woman.) I've seen just a couple on ebay, and they always list it as a "child's chair". Guess that's probably what it was. Just seemed like I read somewhere long ago that they were called "so-and-so chairs", related to a specific purpose....pea-shellin' or corn-shuckin', or something like that. LOL

Here is a picture of it. My husband and I were discussing how the legs were not turned on a lathe....not perfectly round, no holes in the bottoms. There is blue-green paint showing where the yellow has flaked off. I don't believe the seat is original, but I could be wrong.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 44
latest reply

Being 7 months pregnant the thought is horrible!

I never want to be there again. 🙂
Message 11 of 44
latest reply

Hey, here's a possibility I ran across while researching....maybe at one time these short-legged chairs were rocking chairs....the rockers and some of the lower legs rotted or broke, so they cut them off? You know how they never used to throw stuff away!
Message 12 of 44
latest reply

I am not very hip on stuff like this but hubby had a short chair like this as a child. Could simply be a child's chair?
Message 13 of 44
latest reply

Or a chair for midgets?
People that are leg length challenged?

Or to use as a step stool?
With the chair ladder back for holding onto?
For those that are balance challenged?
Message 14 of 44
latest reply

Wouldn't a 'birthing chair' need to have a hole in the seat for the baby to drop through? If you sat in it now you'd impede the baby's birthing!
Message 15 of 44
latest reply