cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purpose of short-legged chairs?

I got one of those short-legged ladder-back chairs at a garage sale this past weekend....you know, the seat is very low to the ground because there is not much leg below the seat. I'm thinking I've read somewhere that there was a specific purpose for making chairs this way.....or is it just made for children? Thanks!

(Ain't garage-saleing fun?!) 🙂
Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Purpose of short-legged chairs?

Yeah it's a nursing chair. 

Message 31 of 44
latest reply

I actually have 2 short legged chairs.  They came from a school; so that tells me that the TEACHER sat in the chair & read to the children who sat on the floor.  I only wish I knew what era my chairs are from.  They have an Early American, Windsor, Bentwood look and are quite wide.

Message 32 of 44
latest reply

We have 4 'short legged' ladder-back, wicker type seats from my husband's family.  We were lead to believe that these chairs were used for apple peeling/green bean snapping, etc. lower to the ground and over the collection bucket for peelings, etc. Don't know how true that is.....

Message 33 of 44
latest reply

I also have a pair of short legged chairs. My ex told me they were newspaper chairs from the 1920-1930. I can find no such thing in the internet. However I did find slipper chairs in my research.  They were used in the 19 century by women when they were getting on things like stockings and shoes. Because clothes were so big and bulky it was easier to be close to the ground to put these items on. I don't know if that's what you got and I don't know if that's what I got.  But I am open to other ideas. 

Message 34 of 44
latest reply

All suggestions about short legged chairs are very interesting as I have actually a rocking chair and a made for a King kind one .

What I have found looking at Civil War photos is that different kind of those chairs were used during taking photos of the general with their commanders or soldiers . First row seatting , and 2nd row standing . 

Other photos of soldiers are with regular wooden folding chairs , but low leg chairs used as I stated before .

Perhaps all your other suggestions combined had the same purpose as all those soldiers used to dress with boots and a lot of clothing , especially the officers .

Message 35 of 44
latest reply

IKEA used to have what looked like a short chair but it was a step stool.

Message 36 of 44
latest reply

LOL.  To fit people with short legs.
E.g., I am "short" 5.4" my build is long body, short legs.  No, I'm not a "little person" but only occasionally can I find a chair where my feet reach the floor or my back is supported by the back of the chair.  As I get older, I notice how I squirm to try to relieve the discomfort whenever I'm in public meetings.  At home, I do all I can to sit in a position of comfort.  In fact, years ago, I used a circular saw to cut-down some chair legs. Still, they were too deep!
In the 1700-1800s, I believe there were many people with short legs similar to mine. Think of Queen Victoria <g>.  Thus Victorian furniture.
Also, I remember when Princess Margaret was described has being "short of leg and large of bosom"
So, let your husband know it is not only long-legged 7 year olds, but short-legged grownups who use short legged chairs.

Message 37 of 44
latest reply

I have two antique French low chairs. The legs were not cut as they are beautifully capped with brass and are on casters.

Those chairs were especially made for women, so they could efficiently and comfortably  sew bedding , or crosstich or knit near a fire at night. The smaller distance to the floor made it more practical to get to supplies on the ground  and  let drop  the heavy parts of a bed cover while it was being worked on. They usually came in pair, so the women of the house could work and share stories at the same time. 

Message 38 of 44
latest reply

I have two that I would like to sell.  Not sure what price would be reasonable.

Message 39 of 44
latest reply

My grannie had one of thesshe said it was for covered wagons traveling cross the country

Message 40 of 44
latest reply

Today I purchased a beautifully carved back chair with a square cushion seat that I believe has springs. The legs are short and they have brass caps and brass wheels on the front legs only. It looks either Queen Anne or French. The wood carving has ribbons and leaves and flowers and is very open or filigree.  I don’t know how old it is but most likely 1800’s. The velvet seat is heavy strange Victorian type velvet with a cut velvet center piece design. My mother thinks ladies used these low chairs to buckle the buttons on their shoes. I am a milliner and I am going to use this low chair to sew hats. I like having my different trims around me on the floor to work. And with this chair I can have the hat in my lap which is much easier than sewing at a table.

Message 41 of 44
latest reply

Paisley ocean, I agree with you 100%.  I have great grandmother’s short legged ladder back chair that is unpainted and has the original wooden woven seat.  My great grandfather, who was over 6’ tall, would sit in it and sing songs, plucking his fingers on the bottom rungs while...you guessed it, my great grandmother would use her walking spinning wheel.  Everything was set up on their wooden front porch and was stored in the attic in the winter time.  They called this chair their porch chair.   I have both the spinning wheel and the chair in my entry of my home.   Reminds me where I came from.  Those were great childhood memories for me.  

Message 42 of 44
latest reply

I was told rocking chairs were made close to the ground and called sewing rocking chairs. Back when warmth came from a fireplace and ladies wore long dresses, sitting on a low rocking chair kept their legs warm as they did their sewing and mending.
Message 43 of 44
latest reply

Your explanation makes more sense that any I've read.  I have one that was my great grandfathers and I'm told when my great grandmother kicked him out, that was all she allowed him to take.  Haha.  I've been told you could see him walking up the road, carrying his chair.  Drinking chair makes sense...that's why he was kicked out.  🙂

Message 44 of 44
latest reply