cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purpose of short-legged chairs?

I got one of those short-legged ladder-back chairs at a garage sale this past weekend....you know, the seat is very low to the ground because there is not much leg below the seat. I'm thinking I've read somewhere that there was a specific purpose for making chairs this way.....or is it just made for children? Thanks!

(Ain't garage-saleing fun?!) 🙂
Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Purpose of short-legged chairs?

"midgets" not to be rude but isn't that an politically incorrect word? I thought the term for dwarfism was just 'little person' or something not so demeaning! Still think this is simply a child's chair. You are right about needing a hole if a 'birthing' chair. I'd hate to try it as is:O
Message 16 of 44
latest reply

If there was a hole in the seat it would have a "bowl" under it. LOLOLOL and it wouldn't be for a baby. :^O
Message 17 of 44
latest reply

I'd say for kids or small adults, I have noticed that older chairs I have are smaller then the new chairs as well. My feet dangle on the new kitchen chairs but a pair I have that are old my feet touch just fine. They actually fit me better since I'm only 5 feet tall.
Message 18 of 44
latest reply

vedave
Thrill-Seeker
I hesitate to suggest this but see no mention of it in all the posts- are you sure the legs haven't been cut off?
It is quite home-made. Maybe Mama just said, "Pa, I want a short chair."
Message 19 of 44
latest reply

Once, when I went through an Historical Homes Tour there were several of the short legged chairs. They were pretty fancy, though. We were told that they were made that way for the women. The hoops, on their skirts, were uncomfortable to sit down in and get back up . That with the short legged chairs, they could get up easier. I don't know if that is what you have or not. Being a hair over five feet...I thought they were great!!!
Message 20 of 44
latest reply

I believe you chair would have had a rush seat.
Message 21 of 44
latest reply

It was cut down at some point. That's all
Message 22 of 44
latest reply

Short-legged chairs were sometimes called drinking chairs.  They were made that way.  The purpose was to allow sitting near the fire, enjoying the full heat and view while you and your buddy/spouse had a nightcap. Traditional chairs were too high up and heavy to move around.  In old pictures or museums, you may notice short-legged, relatively light weight chairs on either side of the hearth.  They could be easily moved in front of the fire and then replaced to get out of the way.  With the ebb and flow of the heat of the fire, the chairs could be easily moved forward or backwards.  Cheers, to such an evening!

Message 23 of 44
latest reply

Antique slipper chairs were made from about 1940 – 1900 in a few different styles including Rococo, Renaissance Revival, Queen Anne and Victorian.  Normally they were made of various woods including mahogany and cherry and had upholstered seats and backs. However come imported chairs from Europe were made of other materials including black lacquer.  Slipper chairs were about 15 inches from the floor and thus had short legs and were mainly used in a ladies bedroom.

Ladies of the Victorian era wore many clothes and in most cases needed a lot of help getting dressed.  Remember that this was the era of laced corsets as well as camisoles and petticoats.  So after putting on all that clothing, they needed even more help donning their long stockings and shoes. Thus, the slipper chair was born; a comfortable chair with short legs that a woman could use to sit and put on her stockings and slippers.

Message 24 of 44
latest reply

This is an old post, but if someone runs across it for information, I have worked in museums for a long time, and many times these short legged chairs are used in spinning, the smaller spinning wheels, as a small flax wheel, were small, a low chair would be used, easier on your back, that's for sure.

Message 25 of 44
latest reply

You needed a low stool or chair to milk the cow in the morning , back when my mom was growing up during the Depression.......is the chair that low or higher???

Message 26 of 44
latest reply

I just bought a short legged herringbone weaved caned ladderback chair from a thrift store.   This chair was definitly NOT cut down in the legs.  When you sit in it your knees are slightly higher than your hips and it is VERY comfortable. I tend to agree with a previous poster here that it was perhaps for sitting at a spinning wheel instead of on a short backless stool, or I like the other poster who said that they may have been used for sitting in front of the fire.  I will post a pick as soon as I take one but it looks similar to the original posters chair unpainted, and the caned seat is intact.  The original poster's chair seat is definitly a replacement.

Message 27 of 44
latest reply

@myronann wrote:
Hey, here's a possibility I ran across while researching....maybe at one time these short-legged chairs were rocking chairs....the rockers and some of the lower legs rotted or broke, so they cut them off? You know how they never used to throw stuff away!

You beat me to it. Besides broken rockers, regular chair legs sometimes had wear and tear, splitting, water rotting if left in the barn over winter, so legs were cut short to make the chair sit flat again.

A childs chair has a smaller seat and smaller back, not an adult seat and back.

Dealers will call these a 'birthing chair' to sell them, because that sounds more romantic than 'sawed off chair', but search > antique birthing chair < and you see they have a shallow seat, only deep enough for your cheeks and typically had hand grips.

Message 28 of 44
latest reply

@winterwow wrote:

You needed a low stool or chair to milk the cow in the morning , back when my mom was growing up during the Depression.......is the chair that low or higher???

Milkingstools at most only have 3 legs.  uneven ground and need to quickly stand and get out of way of a cow's natural functions precludes sitting so low and stationary.  Some milking stools only have one leg and even can have a belt strap thta keeps stool attached to farmer's behind as he moves from cow to cow.  Really.

This sig intentionally left blank

Message 29 of 44
latest reply

I have a short legged chair.  The back legs are about 2" and the front about 5".  It's quite heavy and has condition issues. I was told they were made like this back in the day when ceilings were low.  It's a cool chair, but I'm way too tall for it to be comfortable (knee issues too).  I can't find any information on it, but would like to find out who made it. 

Message 30 of 44
latest reply