eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Updates to Item Specifics in the Cell Phones & PDA categories

Hi All,

Based on buyer and seller feedback eBay is making minor changes to existing Item Specifics in the Cell Phones & PDA categories to create a better buyer experience. As a result, we will:

- Rename three attribute values for the “features” field in cell phone item specifics during the month of August.

- We will also be adding a new attribute for “condition” in PDAs and will be changing some of the existing Item Specifics for the “features” field.

Item Specifics are entirely optional. We encourage sellers to take advantage of this selling tool to reach broader audiences.

The new Cell Phone & PDA Items Specifics will be as follows:

Cell Phones

The feature “camera” will be renamed to “Camera Built-In”
The feature “Web-Enabled” will be renamed to “Email / Web”
The feature “World, Tri-Band” will be renamed to “World”

PDAs

The two values available for condition will be:
New, Never Opened
Any
eBay has decided to make the following changes to the “features” attribute:
Add Camera Built-In, delete Expansion Slot
Add Color Screen1, delete Microphone
Add Email / Web, delete Speakers
“Wireless/Bluetooth” will be renamed to “Bluetooth”
“Phone capability” will be renamed to “Phone Built-In”
With the addition of Color Screen in features the “screen” field in item specifics will be deleted1

For eBay Seller Tools users:
If a value has been renamed or added then you will get a message via Turbo Lister that the value has been updates; you can still list the item without making any changes, but you will want to make the change to the new or renamed value to be able to show up in search results.

Why we are making these changes:

Since their implementation in many categories over the last 6-months, Item Specifics have been proven to be an effective tool for buyers. Item Specifics give buyers more control over their searching/browsing experience than sub-categories offer, thus enabling them to more quickly and efficiently find the items they are looking to purchase.

Thank you for making your way through this post - we appreciate your time. :-)As always your feedback and questions are appreciated.

Regards,
Lulu (on behalf of the Electronics team)
eBay Community Development

Lulu
 Community Development
 eBay

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Updates to Item Specifics in the Cell Phones & PDA categories

in reply to lulu@ebay.com
Lulu, instead of "World," why not have "World, Multi-Band?" There are some phones that are dual-band (1900mhz/900mhz), tri-band (1900mhz/1800mhz/900mhz), and quad-band (1900mhz/1800mhz/900mhz/850mhz). I think multi-band would be a better description then world.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

As more areas are changed from Categories to Item Specifics, how much thought is being given to the impact on users of Turbo Lister?

Categories could be imported in TL, Item Specifics cannot. EVERY RECORD with Item Specifics has to be manually edited in TL to assign Item Specifics before being uploaded to eBay. The drudge work that the computer could do infinitely faster and more accurately will now have to be done laboriously by hand.

I wish eBay would fix existing problems before rolling out new bells and whistles that make eBay sellilng far less efficient for its vendors.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I know traffic is the key to selling, but there should be a way to click on motorola,nextel, phones only, and get
phones only. If I want everything associated with cell phones there are catagories for everything concerning cell phones. I was wondering if there is a fix for this,,Thanks,Terry
Please use plain text.
Community Member

PDAs

>Add Camera Built-In, delete Expansion Slot
Why? Expansion slot still applies. Some PDAs actually DON'T have an expansion slot (some of these can only be loosely considered PDAs).

>Add Color Screen1, delete Microphone
Why? Some PDAs have a microphone.

>Add Email / Web, delete Speakers
Why? Some have speakers. I suggest something like the following under "Speakers"
-None
-Monophonic (beeps and boops)
-Polyphonic (music and/or voice)

>“Wireless/Bluetooth” will be renamed to “Bluetooth”
Why? Bluetooth is hardly the end all be all of wireless. It's not the only option for PDAs.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Your suggested "world" could be misleading. An entry option of either "TRI" or "QUAD" is much more informative. Reason: both are WORLD, but TRI covers lesser area and maybe less countries than QUAD. For instance, I was told that 1900/1800/900 may not give you coverage in WA state, where 950 MHz is used in wide areas. Pls reconsider.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

950 MHz does not exist in the GSM frequency chart. There is 850MHz/900MHz/1800MHz/1900MHz. I believe you probably meant 850MHz as it is used by Cingular in a lot of areas. 1900MHz is used by AT&T and T-Mobile.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

can someone at ebay confirm that immediate payment is no longer available with cell phone listings? is this permanent?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

This message is old, can we get it deleted to clean up the thread page?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Does anyone know how I can get the unlock code for a blackberry 6280? I have been searching everywhere.

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hello Rloral ,

Go to www.telefonmobil.ro I think there you find what are you looking for.

Good Luck!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Updates to Item Specifics in the Cell Phones & PDA categories

I have a standard dual band GSM Nokia 3310 mobile, with a [prepaid] SIM card; purchased in Saudi Arabia, but will be traveling to the U.K. shortly and wanted to know if the phone would work there. Is there anything I need to do when I arrive? Thanks for any assistance that may be rendered.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

can some one tell me how to unlock a blackberry 8830
Please use plain text.