cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing my old chats!

Ebay, what have you done??? these chats don't do anything.  I can't find the computer chats as they were when everyone could help out anyone with a question.  I learned so much about computers and software on here, but now, you can't even check in just to chat.  I guess ebay didn't like it.  Not profitable.  SMH

It's not about surviving the storm, but to dance in the rain!
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Missing my old chats!

You are posting on eBay's member to member help boards. We are members just like you and Welcome Questions from members. Good Luck to you.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I used to chat regularly years ago.  We had our "regulars" and would chat and help out ppl with computer problems and questions. It was a nice community of friends and we'd just chat to each other w/out having to go to a "thread".  It was one thread.  Just missing that format.  My old friends would recognize me, but I bet they've gone elsewhere.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I have not been here that long, but have seen many many good eBayers leave here, most over eBays bad policies. Good Luck to you.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

My ebay says I've been a member since 2004, but it was long before that when I was on ebay.  The chats were a much more social place then, always someone on talking and sharing problems and solutions.  I learned most of what I know from there.  Good luck to you too.  I appreciate your patience.  I was just here to rant about missing my chat friends.  Have a great sunday.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@ekath You too.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Hi , I to have noticed a loss of freedom of speech compared with that of years ago, My view is that unfortunately within a host that is increasingly more retail stores vested , the offering of solutions at no cost to the recipient is seen as commercially undermining and in competition with business interests .

A work around maybe is to suggest that a members tech support post be lodged for  " post subject listing fee"  -and so ebay is financially gaining and more likely to protect against the influence of outside competitive interests  

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

It has been years since i have sold on ebay and yes it has changed so much! I miss the old chat boards as well.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I'm sorry, I totally disagree.  No one on the chats are paid for assistance and just liked helping out ppl in need.  If they were to get fees for answered questions from members, of which are not typically credentialed in the vast array of questions, then Ebay would be liable for "suggestions" to the "inquiries"  when the suggestions didn't work.  It's just a community based forum that doesn't exist anymore.  I've been a member here on the chats for computers since the 1990's.  I learned so much from the friends here, just hanging out and reading solutions, that it's priceless, in this day and age of digital technology.  Besides, we got to know each other, from all parts of the world,  you just don't get that in the format that these chats listing threads.  It used to be one board, you had to scroll and see what everyone was talking about or troubleshooting and Ebay took that away.  What a shame.  I just miss it sometimes.  

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I did not mention anyone getting paid for posts - I suggested ebay charge a fee for the OP to lodge a tech problem . Then ebay has a vested interest to encourage friendly community free sound solutions and congenial banter - like in times past when ebay was more or less a private members online garage sales host - rather than a developing online commercial shop-front host.

Btw - i also suggest some angst from oem's at times because companies were named in posts that related to tech problems , so somewhat negative publicity ( not to mention professional indignation ) 

Most issues really related to generic problems with no need to mention any manufacturer.

That most subject computers were superseded models made the situation worse from an oem pr view point - you are dealing with the products of billion dollar companies - some of which do not share US homeland culture like " proclaimed free speech " , tradition of product tinkering, enshrined private ownership  etc . go figure 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Hey Kathy !! I miss you and the old board also!! We learned so much from each other and made many lifelong friends!! Hope all the children and grand children are well and keeping you busy with the hrses!! The email you have for me is still the same !!

Jeffy !
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@ekath wrote:

Ebay, what have you done??? these chats don't do anything.  I can't find the computer chats as they were when everyone could help out anyone with a question.  I learned so much about computers and software on here, but now, you can't even check in just to chat.  I guess ebay didn't like it.  Not profitable.  SMH

Hey Kathy !! I miss you and the old board also!! We learned so much from each other and made many lifelong friends!! Hope all the children and grand children are well and keeping you busy with the hrses!! The email you have for me is still the same !!

Jeffy !
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Hi ,  the older forum is here

eBay Community>Discussions> Retired Boards>  eBay Categories> Archive Computers, Networking & I.T.

but seems can only be accessed indirectly via external link found by searching ebay ID + pics , then clicking on the pic you uploaded to the forum - this should take you to the forum, but does not include pre-2013 contentious era nor the really community goodwill era posts (pre-dash) 

I think the original forum was encouraging owners to retain their computers rather than regularly upgrading in line with encroaching rampant globalist consumer sentiments - also effective solutions by private owners enraged repair shop vested interests , and lastly naming computer manufacturers in discussing issues for relatively ancient model enraged multi--billion dollar companies, as such discussion was considered to cast negative aspersions upon latest models and so potentially undermine retail sales . 

The youtube tutorials tend to be from established business and so are business advertising and so approved 

However as consumer goods production returns to America the attitudes might change  

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Roger What you say makes sense however the old board supplied tips and tricks and shortcuts to effectively using the computer that could not be found elsewhere .Also when a part was being discussed a link to a similar or exact item on ebay could be shown. In many cases one member would send a part needed to a fellow member gratis . I have been on both ends of that!! One of the member "bay" restored a picture of my wife from an old grainy photo I scanned to him! He was in the process of colorizing it when he suddenly passed away.

Jeffy !
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I didn't know Bay passed.  Sorry to hear that.  Heart attack?

Message 15 of 17
latest reply