eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
powerspcrepair
Community Member

Re: How do I see more than 1 window on the screen in W7?

in reply to atikovi

Any of your existing windows that you currently have open, close them out. What is left sitting in your task bar? Is the IE still there? It is not open right? If so, right click on it that is there sitting in your task bar and select 'Unpin for task bar'. Once it is unpinned, you can go back in through the Start menu to right click on the IE icon to 'pin to task bar'.

Please use plain text.
1508dan
Community Member

in reply to atikovi

atikovi wrote:

Doing that only offers to "unpin" from start menu or taskbar. If you see my desktop in post #6 it already has an e icon in the taskbar but clicking it just shows thumbnails of existing windows. I need an e icon on the taskbar that will open a NEW window. Can I even delete that useless thumbnail view e icon to replace it with one that will open a new window?

Right click on the icon on your task bar, in the right click menu that opens click on "Internet Explorer" and a new window will open. Do so for each successive window you wish to open.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to powerspcrepair

Doing that only offers to "unpin" from start menu or taskbar. If you see my desktop in post #6 it already has an e icon in the taskbar but clicking it just shows thumbnails of existing windows. I need an e icon on the taskbar that will open a NEW window. Can I even delete that useless thumbnail view e icon to replace it with one that will open a new window?

Please use plain text.
powerspcrepair
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to 1508dan
"I didn't think it was possible, right click menu shows that not to be accurate sorry about that." LMAO!!! The clown's in!
Please use plain text.
1508dan
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to atikovi

atikovi wrote:

powerspcrepair wrote:

you can always pin it by right clicking on the IE icon and selecting to 'pin it to Start menu.'

How can I pin it to the taskbar so I can get to it easy?

You want "Pin to taskbar" (right click on it in the programs menu), and you can open more than one instance from that short cut. Just click on it to open the first instance, then right click on it then select "internet explorer" from the right click menu to open each successive instance after the first.

I didn't think it was possible, right click menu shows that not to be accurate sorry about that.

Please use plain text.
powerspcrepair
Community Member

in reply to atikovi

"I did that. Now I want to drag it to the task bar at the bottom of the screen but it won't stick."

Nope. Do the same thing from the little menu after right click on the IE icon, find 'Pin to taskbar.' There are two of them in that menu. One for Start menu and the other for the task bar.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I did that. Now I want to drag it to the task bar at the bottom of the screen but it won't stick.

Please use plain text.
powerspcrepair
Community Member

in reply to atikovi

Go in the direction you took, Start>All Programs and you see IE icon, right click on it and the menu appears. Look down the menu list and find 'Pin to Start menu' and click on it. It will appear in your main menu. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

powerspcrepair wrote:

you can always pin it by right clicking on the IE icon and selecting to 'pin it to Start menu.'

How can I pin it to the taskbar so I can get to it easy?

Please use plain text.
powerspcrepair
Community Member

in reply to atikovi

"You nailed it. Start Menu, Programs, then wade through dozens of choices to find Internet Explorer! And this is supposed to be an improvement over XP?"

Well atikovi, that is a common thing that you would find it there too. If you don't have one at your main menu, you can always pin it by right clicking on the IE icon and selecting to 'pin it to Start menu.'

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 1508dan

1508dan wrote:

if you want more than a single window open, you must do so from the "programs" menu via the "start" menu though.

You nailed it. Start Menu, Programs, then wade through dozens of choices to find Internet Explorer! And this is supposed to be an improvement over XP?

Please use plain text.
1508dan
Community Member

[ Edited ]

All you have to do is open additional instances of IE if you want more than a single window open, you must do so from the "programs" menu via the "start" menu though. It can not be done via the IE short cut on the task bar regardless an already open program or pinned there either one.

Then you can open as many tabs in each successive window as you wish, if you wish to have several tabs open on each, at least as many as your system memory will take (= lots of them).

"Tabs" though, kinda negates the need for several open windows, unless wish to see two pages side by side.

Please use plain text.
powerspcrepair
Community Member

in reply to atikovi

atikovi,

Cascading does not work when you have three tabs. You cannot separate these tabs into single pages. First of all, you will need to get the menu set up into place, in your IE toolbar. Go at the top and anywhere on the top bar, right click on it and select 'Menu Bar'. This will give you 'File', Edit, View, and etc. With the three tabs open, click on one of them and then go up to 'File' and click on 'Duplicate Tab'. A new page will appear that is identical as your tabbed page. Do the same with the other one. Once you have two new duplicate pages, go back to your tabbed pages and close out only the ones that you made duplicates of by clicking on the red "X"'s on the tabs. Now that you have all three separate pages. Slam one of them to the side and they will form a side-by-side view as I mentioned earlier or you can use the cascading trick to do that.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to *too*cheap*

*too*cheap* wrote:
You will need to open 3 windows, not tabs.

Yes but that is my question, how? If I click on the Explorer icon in XP I would get a new window but that doesn't happen in this W7. It just shows the thumbnails of what is in the tabs.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to *too*cheap*
That is if you have 3 windows open, but I see 3 Tabs on the window that shows. You will need to open 3 windows, not tabs.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to atikovi

If you go to the edge of the window you will get a double ended arrow. Left click and hold & move to resize the window.

To move the window, left click and hold on the blue bar at the top of the window and move it to where you want.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]

Window.jpgHere I have three windows open with one being active. If I place the curser over the e icon at the bottom left, I get a thumbnail of each window. If I click on one of the other thumbnails, it replaces the previous open window. How can I have more than one window open at one time? This was much easier in XP.

Please use plain text.
powerspcrepair
Community Member

in reply to atikovi

atikovi,

Since you are not being clear on this. What are you talking about, the IE or Windows boxes as if you are looking in a folder? If you are talking about the two boxes opened up at the same time in order to view both, you just simply take one of them and move it to one side (either the left or the right side.) as if you were slamming it to the side. They will form a side-by-side view.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to atikovi

Sorry, but Tabs will not do as asked.

You will need to open seperate windows, not Tabs, and then Cascade as Ed sugested. Right click on the clock and choose Cascade Windows.

Please use plain text.
biged143
Community Member

in reply to atikovi

might be side by side been awhile since I have done it. You will have to move the windows to fit

Jeffy !
Please use plain text.