eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Re: Beware of fake 32gb micro sd card on ebay!!!!!!

in reply to simonster37

I can tell you from vast expereince of the Chinese market and especially suppliers in the Shenzhen area that there are significant numbers of counterfeit cards out there certainly in the Sandisk Brand. Let me make it clear that if they are for sale for under £20 on Ebay the chances of them being fake are extremely high because the cost price of the real thing is such that you would lose money selling below £20.

If you are a retailer word of advice is before you buy you need to see all the technical documents for CE certification and these need to be from a recognised test house like Intertek or SGS otherwise your being scammed because if they can counterfeit the card they can certainly counterfeit the paperwork.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

They got me too!!! Wasted 2 days trying to work out what was going on when my phone was showing 32gb in the SD card memory,luckily I tried to load 20gb of mp3 as soon as i got the card most people will not notice they have a problem until their photo`s, video`s etc. exceed 2 gb so that could be months for most people. Ebay should ban anyone caught selling these because it needs to be a "Trusted" marketplace.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

I got burnt too with this scam. When transferring info my card started to give trouble between the 4 - 5 gb mark, and I lost quite a bit off data as a result of that.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

exactly same thing has happened to me. Unfortunatly I left positive feedback X-(

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

innocent until proven guilty.

but just as a heads-up for all out there, this is where I got mine and got ripped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32GB-Micro-SD-Memory-Card-Free-Adapter-Micro-SDHC-Auction-/261160384492?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3cce5f37ec

I wrote the seller telling him I would file a complaint.  We'll see what happens...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

just got doopted too. this stuff is still going on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=390531883454&view=all&tid=247764202026

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

http://forums.ebay.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/1000000017-5100011530-5101441593-5100054793/32GB%20micro%20sd.jpg

Wow!  Thank goodness for this forum!  I had concurrent bids on FOUR of these from the same seller.  Got to wondering, how can they sell these so cheaply?  And then it struck me - counterfeiting isn't just for money or pharmaceuticals!  I didn't need to research for very long, just googled "Counterfeit MicroSDHC images", and the very first image in the results was of the same product above.  I contacted the seller with a question about these counterfeits, and asked if he was actually testing any of these memory cards (sometimes the sellers don't even know), and he responded back by sidestepping the question (somewhat rudely, I might add), and by cancelling all of my bids.  Guess he didn't want any potential troublemakers giving him bad reviews?!?!?  Thank goodness!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

It is not just 32gb cards. I just bought 4 128gb cards. the first on just came. It is an 8gb card masked as 128gb. I ran h2testw 1.4 on it right after opening the package. It takes a long time but has proven to be a fake. Would it violate some rule to post what sellers are selling fakes? This is the "fake" I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350701978996?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

I bought a Samsung 32GB and it failed after I put more than 10GB on it. Seller want me to send it back to China. I am reluctant to do that because of security concerns. I think I will just threaten bad feedback to see if I can get a refund. Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

It is amazing how long this has been going on and how little Ebay has done to warn buyers or shut it down.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

they got me 2, this has been goin on from at least 2006 an i only jus found out about it, an worst of all iv heard that it dammages ur device, has any 1 found out a way of salvageing the 2gig that is on these cards?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

Yes, that is what I have been saying for a very long time. I actually know how to do the engineering firmware to make those small flash drives appear as larger capacity. Though I will not do this even to my worst enemy. Anyone who knows hard drive inside out know how to do this. 

The best thing one can do is to assume that those thumb drives/flash drives, any media is not what it's claimed to be. A label is a label and not a true indicator of what size it is. There are currently fake labels printed for any and all products. You name me a company and their are labels made to look like all those companies. Here on ebay? yes, here on ebay, most things that are new are counterfeits unless that person selling is a strategic partner or authorized distributor of such company. Ebay don't care, they want you to be the Quality assurance person to know and spot a fake or phony capacity memory/drive. 

The assumption that if your seller's name is anything but American is no longer an indicator that the product is a fake, yet with a foreigner surname, many times that item is of some foreign nation knockoff. I doubt if 3D printing will ever curtail these knockoff's. Take action my friends, contact the legal departments of the companies that these goods are suppose to represent. If they replicate Sandisk or Toshiba or whatever, then call them, complain to them and place pressure on them to stop ebay from selling them on their turf. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

they got me 2, this has been going on from at least 2006 an i only jus found out about it, an worst of all iv heard that it damages ur device, has any 1 found out a way of salvaging the 2gig that is on these cards?

You would have to rewrite the master boot record of the 2gb flash drive. Placing a generic MBR on it would allow you access to that drive, and perhaps if the drive is not overstacked, the files/data will be ok, otherwise they will be fragmented beyond hope. If the drive handshakes, then copy the entire drive using a disk mirroring/cloning program. Then try to fix the MBR. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

Got screwed as well. Unreal how many other people have been screwed like this.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who commented here.  It prevented me from purchasing one of these fake cards.  Instead, I'll go with an actual store and pay a little more, but save the headache.

For those who have used these cards and want to try to get their data back, consider using a free data recovery program called "Recuva."  It works on Win7 and it may recover some of your lost/deleted files.  (http://download.cnet.com/Recuva/3000-2242_4-10753287.html?tag=mncol;1)

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

I got spanked with these generic cards today - yep, serves me right for not doing a bit of research - generally the generic, chinese knocks off are cheap and cheerful but usually functional - these are just fake. Anything you put on more after you've got to about 3-4GB just doesn't work.

Pay the extra fiver and get a proper one.

And check out the sellers of these. If they are ONLY selling this product, and they have a rating under 100 - don't buy!

The first guy I bought this off something went wrong with payment - he had feedback rating of 0 - it's been so long since I've seen someone with such a low rating I didn't even look! Cancelled that and bought from someone else, but still, dodgy username, dodgy rating... ba-d.

If they have a crappy username and are only selling these cards don't buy you're buying a crap 4GB card.

They have a slow write speed too, I'm guessing 4 not the advertised 10.

Cheers

J

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

Ohh!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281046329245?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Same story

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

i was caught out aswell, already given positive feedback DAMM.
wish i read this b4 i bought 1, i was wondering why after 1.3gb-1.4gb files were being empty  and the slow transfer speed 500-650 kb/s. AVOID ALL SD CARDS ON EBAY
im buying from a street shop for another

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

i just tested one of the 32gb class 10 samsung in retail packaging and it was 2 gb ....ripoffs on ebay and im going to start looking into better sources for tech as the liion batteries tend to be chine junk to even the branded ones seem to be all knockoffs

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to simonster37

it is not only the sellers that only sell this item with an evaluation under 100 you know, sometimes the seller doesn't even know about it! i bought from a seller with 1500 evaluations (99% positive) he sold already over 400 of this card

(same as : http://forums.ebay.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/1000000017-5100011530-5101441593-5100054793/32GB%20micro%20sd.jpg)

but he didn't know about it! he already refunded me, he asked me to send back the card to him now so he can send it to the manufacturer.

it's crazy how many people got screwed with this... i don't know where i could buy a cheap working 32 gb class 10 micro sd card... if anyone can send me a pm with one that he has bought that works that would be great!

Please use plain text.