cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do the eBay home page pictures of young girls lean towards pedophelia?

I am a seller on ebay.com, and also involved in prison ministry. I deal with all types of criminals, and some are child molesters. I have to be very familar with what is deemed appropriate images for these types of inmates, and also what would be considered inappropriate.

Last month eBay.com home page had a picture of a young girl bending over, jumping into a pool. The photo angle was from the back, a close-up,  upshot of the young  girl's rear-end  in  a bathing suit, and around her waste was a floatie tube.  That was the entire  picture.  Ebay.com website graphics team couldn't find a better picture than that to post on their home page?

This month there is a picture of a young girl with her arms spread out and mouth wide open in a full circle.  This is an extremely suggestive pose for child molesters. They actually PREFER  this type of photo, so they can use scissors to cut a hole in the mouth and it enables them to look at the child's face while they are "using" the hole.  The "arms spread out" position is typical also.

I understand that this is a sensative topic and apologize if reading this message offends you. I deal with child molesters all the time and these two particular pictures are pedophilic in nature.

I contacted eBay and requested to speak with a manger to give them a "head's up" that someone in the web graphics team is posting these inappropriate pictures, and I was told to post it here in the Community. My message to the eBay.com  managers: keep an close eye on your website graphics team!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

alan@ebay Due to the sensitive nature of this topic, do you think you could message the OP and address her concerns offline? I definitely don't want to censor discussions on the boards, but with the nature of this topic I'm sure you can appreciate where I'm coming from. Thanks for your consideration.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I am searching the community with a related question.  Today I have very provacative young female Asian nude images on my home page with the teaser "books you may have interest in".  I am not a prude, but I do not find these images appropriate to pop up on a home page, nor do I recall any subject matter search even remotely related to them.  However, I find lately that searches are coming up with items that are in no way related to the searched item--not one single word.  In addition to being inappropriate, there is no way to turn off the suggestions.  

This is a serious issue and eBay does need to recognize it is inappropriate.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

To the OP - All I can say is "sometimes we find what we're looking for" rather than what most other people see.

And to answer your thread subject - NO. Only in your mind.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:

To the OP - All I can say is "sometimes we find what we're looking for" rather than what most other people see.

And to answer your thread subject - NO. Only in your mind.

Except he's not  worried about his mind. He's worried about pedophiles that he is familiar with from a prison ministry program.

I thinks it's valid and I'm glad he brought it to eBay's attention.

KayKeeCorp
Grand Ultimate Supreme
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

the OP is trying to get ebay aware of this issue. pedo's use these unwittingly provocative photos, and it's not a bad idea at all to become aware that they use them! it's a heads-up and there is NO reason to ignore it.  Ebay is able to avoid it and so they should, in order to not contribute to the problem. It's just a matter of awareness and prevention.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

You may have a point and maybe something that should have action... BUT you should address it to EBAY headquarters...someone that actually is in charge...

we are members..and even, just maybe some one from ebay may see this... YOU want something done...present it in a professional way with facts, notes ..whatever...and send it to EBAY headquarters...

nothing can be done here.... and if you serch for the things... you will get "recomended" items pop up... that just how it works.... 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@blind-dog-bumper-collars@pingpong517@mysticaldove@kaykeecorp@ymeagainlord

Obviously a very sensitive and subjective subject. We definitely want to pass on whatever feedback we can, and make sure Community members are being heard. We'll pass on this feedback regarding the homepage imagery.

@pingpong517 wrote:

You may have a point and maybe something that should have action... BUT you should address it to EBAY headquarters...someone that actually is in charge...

we are members..and even, just maybe some one from ebay may see this... YOU want something done...present it in a professional way with facts, notes ..whatever...and send it to EBAY headquarters...

nothing can be done here.... and if you serch for the things... you will get "recomended" items pop up... that just how it works....

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I can see it very clearly, as I have worked as a social worker with families.  We live in a world where alot of people  just don't care about anything but molesting a innocent child. So Keep your eyes peeled for these peds, Speak Up, and tell everyone when something looks out of place. These perverts has patterns, and we all can help to make a difference. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

nothing will come of it from this forum post. you need to get to the top levels of ebay to get their attention. there are millions of registered users. you can post here all day long and nothing will change. the only thing they will listen to is the bottom line. the forums exist so they can direct people into getting things off their chest, letting everyone vent and then ....crickets.....
Message 10 of 10
latest reply