cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Stop Dishonest Comic Book Sellers?

I am an experienced comic book collector and I know grading very well - and can easily distinguish a comic book in poor condition from a comic book in VF to Near Mint condition. However, it irritates me when I see dishonest comic book sellers jacking up prices of comic books that do not line up with the price of the comic book or books far above the actual value listed in the comic book price guide.

( apart from CGC graded comic books).

For example: here and on Amazon I was looking for a copy of Avengers #57 ( 1st App. of Vision) whose condition is around 6.0 to 8.0 (Non-CGC).

Now the Current Comic Book Price Guide (CBPG) indicates that this particular issue is priced between $68 and $245. The seller revealed that the Non-CGC copy was established at 7.0 and I would expect to pay a reasonable price between $100 and $235.

(I comprehend that such a seller needs to make a bottom line so I  assume that the seller tacks-on additional charges to the price of about $20 or $25 dollars - at most 30. - Plus shipping and state taxes etc.)

But the post also indicated FREE Shipping (included in the price. The price was $650.00! And I can, perhaps gain some leeway to sentimental value as well - but this was just rediculous! The seller was attempting to take advantage of uninitiated buyers and acquire $415 dollars more that the actual value of the book itself.

Fact of the matter is - is when I am hunting for various issues that I might want to buy or am considering purchasing -  I encounter dishonest sellers like this plastered almost everywhere and I am damned fed-up with these MoFos -- seriously!

The pricing should be gleened with respect to the current CBPG (comic book price guide) prices. (But for BUY-IT- NOW ITEMS ONLY - NOT AUCTIONS).

I want to Blow the Whistle on these creeps because they ARE Taking advantage of ignorant buyers and I am just sickened by it - and it makes me mad!

I would like to know if there is some tyoe of reporting system here on eBay or way to PUT an END or STOP to these dishonest sellers who overprice comic books and magazines against CBPC prices. In addition to this there is no real reason why CGC prices also do not correspond to CBPG prices since there is no mention of them ANYWHERE in current CBPG price listings. I can understand that the comics graded by CGC are fairly expensive to get GCG`ed and they do a fair job as well as with resored comics, etc. However Non-CGC comic books and magazines can be fairly garded simply by examining them closely (minus actually takeing images of each inner page) - that it`s details should be accurate according to the seller and should NOT be taked out of the bagged and boarded comic book copy and phtographed as this irritaes collectors who do not want the prospective issue to be handled before reception as it could add devalument, spine damage or further damage inadvertently. 

The main question then becomes how to Report / Stop or Ban dishonest Comic Book/magazine sellers who overprice such books and magazines above the actual CBPG prices - not only on eBay but also on Amazon and other selling arenas.

PLEASE DO NOT INFORM me I am wrong on this issue - or that it is OK somehow because a "New Movie" is coming out which may feature the vision as Tales to Astonish is overpriced because of the Gaurdians of the Galaxy movie features "Groot"  which is in TTA #13 and expalin it away with Supply and - Demand stories because I just know better.

Ty for your attention:

= Mark =

Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: How to Stop Dishonest Comic Book Sellers?

I see a checkmark by the title, meaning it was solved.

Oh, really?,

So if i wade through this thread again and read more carefully, I will know how to stop dishonest comic book sellers?

Message 61 of 73
latest reply

I can't agree with the notion that a seller asking what ever amount he/she wishes for their item is being dishonest. May not be a realistic expectation as to getting a sale, but then again you just might get lucky and end up with a sale sooner or later. If the particular buyer who purchases an item that they could have purchased for much less by simply searching harder is happy with their purchase anyway at the price that they paid, then I can't fault the seller.

There's a potential buyer for any item at any price point I guess just by looking at this example of a recent sale for Crumb's WEIRDO #20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEIRDO-20-1987-First-Printing-R-Crumb-Underground-Comix-Magazine-UNREAD-NM-/...

Buyer pays $100 plus shipping when a quick search finds the exact same book selling for much lower.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/R-CRUMB-ALINE-KOMINSKY-DORI-SEDA-HARVEY-PEKAR-WEIRDO-NUMBER-20-SPRING-1987-/1...

I bet the buyer of the $100 purchase will still leave positive feedback 😉

Message 62 of 73
latest reply

That's why you need to tell them that is just a book. That way you can even ship it media mail.

Message 63 of 73
latest reply

I know this discussion is old,but I have to ask. Would you inform someone who is selling a rare comic for less than it"s true value according to the comic book guide? Or would you simply say nothing, buy it,resell it for a nice profit,  Would you  even feel bad for the seller?  There are buyers out  there always looking for  deals on e-bay and sellers who take tage of their ignorance..

Message 64 of 73
latest reply

Comic book price guides are not "true value", they are averages to be used as a guide only. The OPG even tells you that. True value is what a buyer and seller agree on at a specific time and place, it varies all the time. No one is being dishonest by buying or selling at prices  far from the guide value.

Message 65 of 73
latest reply

I have a question and need assistance.  I have been listing comic books honestly describing conditon and number and certification.  BUT, one of the comic books I listed did  not have a certification number and it did not have an ISO and where the code bars should have been there were none.  The question I have is if this is somehow a counterfit.  I have it listed and as a very honest seller I need to know and understand if this is a copyright infringment and I don't want to sell anything bogus, illegal, or not at it's true value.  Any help anyone ??? Please.  Thank you so much, Denise 

Message 66 of 73
latest reply

Here is the link to the comic book.  As you can see no bar code and no iso numer and no certification number.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Comics-The-Human-Fly-Fear-Over-Fifth-Avenue-No-14-/112019277099

Message 67 of 73
latest reply

It's not a counterfeit. Notice the triangle on top?

I can't find cofirmation googling, but my recollection is Marvel comic books with that triangle were packaged in plastic bags and sold in threes in variety stores and maybe supermarkets.. They were random issues with different titles. They might have been second printings so are not worth as much. I'm not sure. I believe some GI Joe issues have the triangle and are second printings.Check the bottom of the first page where the indicia information is. The GI Joe reprinsts said second printing there.

Message 68 of 73
latest reply

With referance to the original poster.

Absolutely amazing how many user ids one can add to this if they simply wade

thru the 4 pages of whining and crying about the prices on comics.  Feel free

to add me your list.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderBlockLogin

Message 69 of 73
latest reply

OP:
Boy you got your head up your anus.
You act like the price guide is "THE LAW", and folks should not make more than $30 per transaction.

Real life don't work like that.
Especially not collectables, especially not feebay.
Most sellers are trying to make X PER MONTH to cover the bills, (not X per item).
And back issues don't sell at a stedy rate.
So the goal becomes to get "as much as you can".
Doubling your investment is a common rule of thumb.

Go binge some "Pawn Stars".

Message 70 of 73
latest reply

"You do know that technically regular comic books are actually periodicals and because of that do qualify legally for Media Mail."

Nope, Sorry.

Last time i shipped comix via Media Mail, they got opened for inspection.

Then arrived postage due, at the 1st class rate. The buyer was **bleep** and won't buy from me anymore. (even tho i don't ship MM anymore) Comix have ads. Back issues are not "periodicals". They would need to have the CURRENT date / month on the cover.

Message 71 of 73
latest reply

I'm not sure I agree with this thought process. You suggest that overpricing a comic book (based on recent sales) makes a seller dishonest. In truth any item be it comic, antique, whatever is only worth what someone is willing to pay regardless of what any price guide says.
As the owner of said item that averages sales of $100 for like condition items, I can post said item for $1,000,000 if I like. 
Now in most instances that would be foolish and I've wasted my time/effort/listing fees, etc.
However, if the prospective buyer does not do their research to see what is a reasonable price is then who's fault is that?
Sellers that list an item as original when they know full well that it has been modified in some way, (trimming, color touch, etc) that can be considered dishonest.
I sell comics myself but mainly from my own collection, I don't deal strictly in comics but when I decide to list a book I check closed listings on similar items to get an average selling price. I am not an expert grader but try to describe any obvous flaws. As such it is possible that I could miss damage or restoration that I did not know about. In such case I would happily take said book back, no questions asked.

Message 72 of 73
latest reply

Amen

Message 73 of 73
latest reply