cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Stop Dishonest Comic Book Sellers?

I am an experienced comic book collector and I know grading very well - and can easily distinguish a comic book in poor condition from a comic book in VF to Near Mint condition. However, it irritates me when I see dishonest comic book sellers jacking up prices of comic books that do not line up with the price of the comic book or books far above the actual value listed in the comic book price guide.

( apart from CGC graded comic books).

For example: here and on Amazon I was looking for a copy of Avengers #57 ( 1st App. of Vision) whose condition is around 6.0 to 8.0 (Non-CGC).

Now the Current Comic Book Price Guide (CBPG) indicates that this particular issue is priced between $68 and $245. The seller revealed that the Non-CGC copy was established at 7.0 and I would expect to pay a reasonable price between $100 and $235.

(I comprehend that such a seller needs to make a bottom line so I  assume that the seller tacks-on additional charges to the price of about $20 or $25 dollars - at most 30. - Plus shipping and state taxes etc.)

But the post also indicated FREE Shipping (included in the price. The price was $650.00! And I can, perhaps gain some leeway to sentimental value as well - but this was just rediculous! The seller was attempting to take advantage of uninitiated buyers and acquire $415 dollars more that the actual value of the book itself.

Fact of the matter is - is when I am hunting for various issues that I might want to buy or am considering purchasing -  I encounter dishonest sellers like this plastered almost everywhere and I am damned fed-up with these MoFos -- seriously!

The pricing should be gleened with respect to the current CBPG (comic book price guide) prices. (But for BUY-IT- NOW ITEMS ONLY - NOT AUCTIONS).

I want to Blow the Whistle on these creeps because they ARE Taking advantage of ignorant buyers and I am just sickened by it - and it makes me mad!

I would like to know if there is some tyoe of reporting system here on eBay or way to PUT an END or STOP to these dishonest sellers who overprice comic books and magazines against CBPC prices. In addition to this there is no real reason why CGC prices also do not correspond to CBPG prices since there is no mention of them ANYWHERE in current CBPG price listings. I can understand that the comics graded by CGC are fairly expensive to get GCG`ed and they do a fair job as well as with resored comics, etc. However Non-CGC comic books and magazines can be fairly garded simply by examining them closely (minus actually takeing images of each inner page) - that it`s details should be accurate according to the seller and should NOT be taked out of the bagged and boarded comic book copy and phtographed as this irritaes collectors who do not want the prospective issue to be handled before reception as it could add devalument, spine damage or further damage inadvertently. 

The main question then becomes how to Report / Stop or Ban dishonest Comic Book/magazine sellers who overprice such books and magazines above the actual CBPG prices - not only on eBay but also on Amazon and other selling arenas.

PLEASE DO NOT INFORM me I am wrong on this issue - or that it is OK somehow because a "New Movie" is coming out which may feature the vision as Tales to Astonish is overpriced because of the Gaurdians of the Galaxy movie features "Groot"  which is in TTA #13 and expalin it away with Supply and - Demand stories because I just know better.

Ty for your attention:

= Mark =

Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: How to Stop Dishonest Comic Book Sellers?

I was thinking the same thing Cocky, until I read that it had been moved here from somewhere else. And I'm thinking it must be a very kindly place it was moved from. Most of our old regulars would have been out with the long knives for the OP.

Message 46 of 73
latest reply

I have more knowledge on comix books than anyone here. Here we have pricing due to the pages it was printed on. A seller can price any of their comix as they see fit.

Yes sir you are not the comix police. If I took a sharpie marker and drew boodee hole symbols all over the pages it would still be worth alot of money. Just recently an expensive piece of toilet paper sold for 2million it was the super man first edition comix. My question is was that old toilet paper book really worth it. And to the poster who made this post where were you when all this went down to stop an auction for expensive toilet paper being put up here on eBay? Hmmmm? Oh that's right you were too busy arguing about how much dishonesty goes around here. The only dishonest people are the buyers who will never make this community EBay prior 2008. Can we please bring a better shopping experience.
Message 47 of 73
latest reply

Where did all these people come from? Was this discussion on some other board and they moved it over here?
Message 48 of 73
latest reply

Message 49 of 73
latest reply

Oh, I didn't go down to the end before I posted. So there are still people on the boards who want to talk about comic books. Just just not on the comics board. Too bad stupidman didn't get in on that.
Message 50 of 73
latest reply

@323*edelman wrote:
Oh, I didn't go down to the end before I posted. So there are still people on the boards who want to talk about comic books. Just just not on the comics board. Too bad stupidman didn't get in on that.

You guys are funny!  

Come by Bidding and Buying and we can talk comics, then after a few days we can have a scavenger hunt to find where the mods moved the thread.

“Community just got a facelift, thanks to you! No, really. You told us it could be better & we changed it.”
Message 51 of 73
latest reply

I found this discussion again.   Yay!!

The OP says that asking a price way above what the price guide says is immoral.

I've heard that one before.  Usually from someone who is looking for a bargain or wants to pick up a hot book for cheap to flip it.

Even when I am telling a lie I am truthful. 🙂 Rick
Message 52 of 73
latest reply

When did these boards get moderators that move posts to other boards? They should have let you guys have your discussion where it was. It will die here because nobody comes here anymore except, uh, nobody. I remember you. You used to be here in the old days of the horse and buggy and corner malt shop. Someday I may read this thread to see what all the commotion is about. But I am all for stopping dishonest comic book sellers. I say hang them.
Message 53 of 73
latest reply

Can I sue Stan Lee for killing off...

Spoiler
Gwen?
^--------^

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."
Message 54 of 73
latest reply

Mark, i'd like to inform you that you are indeed 'wrong on this issue'

sellers can ask whatever price they wish.  what are you blowing 'the whistle' on?

the MUCH larger problem is dishonest buyers

Message 55 of 73
latest reply

All*about*horses, You do know that technically regular comic books are actually periodicals and because of that do qualify legally for Media Mail. Not a grey area at all. Comic book trades and hardcovers are just regular books and just simply qualify as books Cover to cover for Media Mail. No abuse.
Message 56 of 73
latest reply

Wow. I expected a whole other subject to be covered under this heading. I hoped it would discuss the truly unfortunate practice of some dishonest sellers who grade books higher than they actually are and then refuse to accept returns when their lie is uncovered. Mistakes happen, that is why I have such a generous return policy at my store...but this matter...this whole premise that comic book sellers need to adhere to some form of price control is really crazy sounding! Now that there are so many more resources to verify pricing with and markets to shop out there, it's hard to believe that anyone would argue that buyers are being forcibly extorted. If you can't find the book you desire at the cheapy price you want in any of the multitude of shopping mediums available, then quite likely the book is worth what the eBay seller listed it for and you are miffed that you actually have to pay what it is valued at. LOL. Sorry, that's just so silly sounding to this wee comic loving gal...probably because your mouth is full of sour grapes 😉  

Message 57 of 73
latest reply

I was told by my USPS carrier that comics could not ship via Media due to the advertisements within, expired or not...
Message 58 of 73
latest reply

So true and when on earth did the pricing of comic books enter the ethereal realm of ethics and morals...very silly. He must be a flipper to be getting this riled up.

@seemystuffonline wrote:

I found this discussion again.   Yay!!

The OP says that asking a price way above what the price guide says is immoral.

I've heard that one before.  Usually from someone who is looking for a bargain or wants to pick up a hot book for cheap to flip it.

Message 59 of 73
latest reply

I simply must add that ignorance is never a worthy excuse; especially as we're throwing terms about such as immoral and dishonest; if the buyer is ignorant, and who honestly can be in this day and age with the answer to anything accessible on our smart phones, but if he/she is, then that really is his/her problem. Sellers are not obligated to price some items for those who know better and price others for those who don't.  I'm sure that I speak for many of us when I say that I arrive at my pricing from a combination of sources, not only from 1 price guide, and that my morals have nothing to do with it. If you are so concerned for the financial welfare of your ignorant friends, then your time would be far better spent educating them rather than blaming the sellers for simply knowing better. Just my humble opinion.

Message 60 of 73
latest reply