cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Stop Dishonest Comic Book Sellers?

I am an experienced comic book collector and I know grading very well - and can easily distinguish a comic book in poor condition from a comic book in VF to Near Mint condition. However, it irritates me when I see dishonest comic book sellers jacking up prices of comic books that do not line up with the price of the comic book or books far above the actual value listed in the comic book price guide.

( apart from CGC graded comic books).

For example: here and on Amazon I was looking for a copy of Avengers #57 ( 1st App. of Vision) whose condition is around 6.0 to 8.0 (Non-CGC).

Now the Current Comic Book Price Guide (CBPG) indicates that this particular issue is priced between $68 and $245. The seller revealed that the Non-CGC copy was established at 7.0 and I would expect to pay a reasonable price between $100 and $235.

(I comprehend that such a seller needs to make a bottom line so I  assume that the seller tacks-on additional charges to the price of about $20 or $25 dollars - at most 30. - Plus shipping and state taxes etc.)

But the post also indicated FREE Shipping (included in the price. The price was $650.00! And I can, perhaps gain some leeway to sentimental value as well - but this was just rediculous! The seller was attempting to take advantage of uninitiated buyers and acquire $415 dollars more that the actual value of the book itself.

Fact of the matter is - is when I am hunting for various issues that I might want to buy or am considering purchasing -  I encounter dishonest sellers like this plastered almost everywhere and I am damned fed-up with these MoFos -- seriously!

The pricing should be gleened with respect to the current CBPG (comic book price guide) prices. (But for BUY-IT- NOW ITEMS ONLY - NOT AUCTIONS).

I want to Blow the Whistle on these creeps because they ARE Taking advantage of ignorant buyers and I am just sickened by it - and it makes me mad!

I would like to know if there is some tyoe of reporting system here on eBay or way to PUT an END or STOP to these dishonest sellers who overprice comic books and magazines against CBPC prices. In addition to this there is no real reason why CGC prices also do not correspond to CBPG prices since there is no mention of them ANYWHERE in current CBPG price listings. I can understand that the comics graded by CGC are fairly expensive to get GCG`ed and they do a fair job as well as with resored comics, etc. However Non-CGC comic books and magazines can be fairly garded simply by examining them closely (minus actually takeing images of each inner page) - that it`s details should be accurate according to the seller and should NOT be taked out of the bagged and boarded comic book copy and phtographed as this irritaes collectors who do not want the prospective issue to be handled before reception as it could add devalument, spine damage or further damage inadvertently. 

The main question then becomes how to Report / Stop or Ban dishonest Comic Book/magazine sellers who overprice such books and magazines above the actual CBPG prices - not only on eBay but also on Amazon and other selling arenas.

PLEASE DO NOT INFORM me I am wrong on this issue - or that it is OK somehow because a "New Movie" is coming out which may feature the vision as Tales to Astonish is overpriced because of the Gaurdians of the Galaxy movie features "Groot"  which is in TTA #13 and expalin it away with Supply and - Demand stories because I just know better.

Ty for your attention:

= Mark =

Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: How to Stop Dishonest Comic Book Sellers?

So you don't like the sellers who overprice their comics yet you are OK buying from the sellers who are abusing Media Mail?

You do know that comics do not qualify to be shipped by Media Mail don't you?
Message 16 of 73
latest reply

comicmart...,

This may be a bit long winded.

I do not collect comic books, but am a very experienced Movie Poster (paper) collector.  I also have an extensive collection of pre and post war diecast vehicles from the late teens thru the early 60s. (equivelent to the Gold and Platinum ages of comic books)  In my long time experience as a collector and seller of those items, I have seen what you have described many times, not only at online venues, but at Comic Cons, Fantasy Fests, Auctions, and other Live events.

Just as in your collectible realm, In both of my collections, we too have grading systems and price guides. The CGC even evaluates Lobby Cards, which is one segment of Movie Poster collectiing. I will concentrate on movie poster grading and guides, because it is closest to what you collect.  While only a few grading systems and services are generally accepted for Movie Posters, there are many online and print medium guides. 

The value of several of those guides is called into question on a regular basis.  Some are produced by collector/sellers, and tend to list the highest prices of varying condition posters. Many feel those guides are produced to artificially increase or stabilize the value of those authors and their contributors collections.  Others go by actual auction and retail pricing averages, from around the world, Of course they are accused of averaging in the lowest prices realized in underattended under promoted auctions, then the highest prices realized at  semi-private invitation only, and collector estate sales or auctions. Leaving out too many of the mid range sales.  Over the years I have amassed dozens of the guides, and have found that often the information in some stayed the same, over many years and "revised or updated" editions of the guides, even when prices had risen or fallen for particular pieces.  CGC graded and priced Lobby cards are taken with a grain of salt in our community, because of the value they place on restored pieces.  They tend to undervalue restorations, even though restored posters and lobby cards tend to hold their values to collectors, because restoration also includes paper stabilization, especially linen, and paper backed restoration.

One thing most grading and pricing systems do not take into consideration, is the timing of the sale for some items, which can cause a short term, rise in or lowering of prices, depending on several factors. Things like few items having been listed for a long time, or a glut of the item being available. (sometimes 3 being sold or auctioned in a year can be a glut for a rarer item)   A resurgence in interest due to a new movie, or television production can bump prices, while a really poorly received movie or TV production can drop prices. A couple of desparate collectors who over pay, can cause can cause a temporary bump as well. 

I wrote all of the above, to point out to you, how silly your rant is. 

"Fact of the matter is - is when I am hunting for various issues that I might want to buy or am considering purchasing -  I encounter dishonest sellers like this plastered almost everywhere and I am damned fed-up with these MoFos -- seriously!

The pricing should be gleened with respect to the current CBPG (comic book price guide) prices. (But for BUY-IT- NOW ITEMS ONLY - NOT AUCTIONS).

I want to Blow the Whistle on these creeps because they ARE Taking advantage of ignorant buyers and I am just sickened by it - and it makes me mad!

YOU have placed a value on a comic book, based on what seems to be limited information, CGC and Guide values, and maybe your own perception of value.  You are accusing one seller of "taking advantage of uninitiated buyers".

Well my friend, If you look at the final sales price of that book on eBay over the last several months you might find there are a bunch of "dishonest sellers" and "ignorant Buyers" Why do you feel that auction prices should not be considered when pricing an item?  Do you feel all of those bid/buyers are "ignorant"?  This is an open market place, where demand and prices are determined by CURRENT values.  There are of course fluctations cause by Bargain Hunters who do not bid on a low start price item, and collectors who have more money than good sense.  That does not mean the bargain hunters are ripping off sellers who end up getting a low price, any more than a seller is ripping off the buyer of an item who is willing to pay a very high price for it.

Here are some recent eBay sold prices for the book .  While the vast majority fall within your pricing guidelines many were much lower and some much higher. These are someof the higher prices.

September                                                                        August                                                                                July

14  $410                                                                           14  $750 BIN  the one you are complaining about?              24  $899 BIN  CGC 9.0

11  $310                                                                            07 $390                                                                            

06  $1,364.69  non CGC .99 cent start price.                   06  $326

03  $510.65                                                                      02  $450 BIN

01  $438               

I left out the BINs where a best offer was accepted.              

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 17 of 73
latest reply

Guys, why bother?

@comicmartusa wrote:

PLEASE DO NOT INFORM me I am wrong on this issue...because I just know better.

Ty for your attention:

= Mark =

Message 18 of 73
latest reply

Price guides on collectibles are obsolete. Ebay has become the best way to determine the secondary market value of an item, as all collectibles are worth only what someone else is willing to pay for it. Neither ebay, Amazon, or any independent comic book shop is legally bound to sell items based on pricing guides.

It sounds like you are really angry about this, maybe because you would like to purchase these items but can't find them at the book value? If so, it's a good indicator that your price guides do not accurately reflect the current secondary market value of the items.

Also, you mentioned that sellers should only charge $20 or $30 more as profit. Where does that figure come from? Is this your personal belief or is it some comic book industry standard? I sure wouldn't buy an item for resale at $150 that I might get $175 for. That would cover the fees and leave me with less than $5.

Message 19 of 73
latest reply

As noted--guide books are merely that.  Do they adjust properly for supply/demand? 

How does the price guide reflect that at any given time the demand may be far greater than the supply and thus buyers may be quite willing to pay above "suggested price" to get what they just have to have.

pam

Message 20 of 73
latest reply

Message 21 of 73
latest reply

I don't collect comics but one time I went to a giant collection shop in California, most of the comic books were defaced with boodee hole symbols. I know they sold out on big comix for $900 they are still on eBay the store seller is named star matches comix.
Message 22 of 73
latest reply

If I understand correctly, the OP wants eBay to institute price controls. I'm wondering why eBay would do that, and how they could do it without breaking the law?
Message 23 of 73
latest reply

There are several things to consider.

(1) Buyers must know about the item that they are about to buy.... Knowledge works

(2) Sellers will set a price  that they feel is appropriate based on the condition to what is being sold....  Sellers are the buyer's eyes.... Seller must describe the item being sold  in a very careful and exact manner.  The higher the price    makes it very important to describe  to the absolute.

(3) and.. Finally ...  There is something described as Fair market value....  Both seller and buyer agree on a price....  Seller is high.. buyer is low  while fair market value is somewhere between the high and low.

and then... there are some seller who list high no matter what..

I know of a book seller who lists everything at a price higher than $100....  Others may sell  at lower prices... however,  some buyer have a perception of value in relation to price..

This seller sells one book and has $100 in his pocket.

Some sellers who consistently price low and might have to sell 5, 10 or even 20  books to get $100.

Buying and selling ,  particularly antiques and collectable is based on fair market value... and perception of value in relation to condition.

and then the problem could be ... Who graded the comic.

If we look at hockey cards... Gretzky rookie card  graded at 8.5 - 9.0  ...  ON eBay place a photo of the front and back of the card... in a protective and sealed sleeve... and graded at 9.00  ...and ..... the bid will automatically be $2500.... no question

The end result is perception in relation to value based on condition... and the credibility of the person/company providing the condition grade..

----------------------------------------------------------

and sometimes  we get crazy bidders... at a local auction... or on eBay.

They just do not know when they should stop bidding.

At a local auction... 9 rookie hockey cards.  First sold for $45,  the second and third sold for $45 each  and then the last five sold for $45 each..

Big problem  Book value was no where near $45 for any card..  while 6 of the cards have a book value in the range of $6 to $10..

The bottom line to any purchase... comics, hockey cards or any other collectable is ...Buyer Beware... Know what you are going to buy... and what true value that is... Fair market value... might  be.

And sometimes  the rule becomes  ... When in doubt ...Bid  (or buy)  ...because sometimes you just may be willing to buy at a higher price... because as a buyer... You just may want it ... without  regard of  the higher than usual price

and then sometimes  you look elsewhere...  or sometimes in retrospect you might say ... Why did I not buy it???

Message 24 of 73
latest reply

The OP only wants price controls on items that would benefit him personally and somehow thinks that not chraging book value for what was originally intended to be a child's toy is akin to murder. I'm not sure there is anything else we can say.

Message 25 of 73
latest reply

There are selling strategies  as well.

Sometimes a seller lists some thing... at $500 ....as an example... with only one such listing on eBay.

Another seller comes along and lists the same item... same condition ...  at $350.

The item sells at $350.

This is what I call bouncing the lower price ... off the higher price... seller now has $350 in the bank.. while the second seller is still looking  for $500.

A seller does not have sell at the top most price to make money.

Sell two of the same item at $350... and this seller has outdone that $500 price.... that $500 item is still there available for sale..

We are here to sell...  and to sell is a critical factor....  because sometimes high is just... TOO high... but not always..

The collectables market can be fickle..

Sometimes $500 is too high,,, and then sometimes  it just might be too low...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 26 of 73
latest reply

Find a child's toy with original box....  from perhaps the 1930's

Original price maybe less than $5.00 in the 1930's

Today seller puts the box up for sale separate from the toy.

Toy sells for $35... while the box sells for $600... How many boxes were tossed in the garbage  when the toy was bought.

For collectables... there will never be any measure of price control.

It will always be fair market value

Message 27 of 73
latest reply

What was the original price of that comic book that sold for 3.2 million on eBay?

No price controls... just ... Fair Market  Value.

Message 28 of 73
latest reply

It`s too bad your negative concerning a "Free-Market" and what it really means to deal with buyers day-in and day our with your attitude I am 100% sure that soon after you began a real business people will see right through you and you`ll end up not getting any business whatsover because your strange ideal of doing business would soon be undervut by lower prices that would definitely put you out of business just because of your support for dishonest business ethics.

Message 29 of 73
latest reply

comicmartusa,

You assume that buyers and bidders on ebay are not informed as you are or don't understand the comic book marketplace.

Just because you see something that has a starting bid price for a certain amount, does not mean that someone will bid on it.  Same with fixed price or buy it now.

There are lots of people trying to sell comics on ebay that are hopeful about prices, this doesn't mean that they are crooked or dishonest.   I know of several books that have been listed for years with no takers because of their pricing.

Dishonesty would mean faking a grade or hiding defects in a listing.   Of course, a seller who did this would probably not end up selling many comics here as the feedback they would get would stop people from bidding on their listings, and probably returns from disappointed buyers would end up costing them too much money.

I am a long time comic book collector myself with thousands of comic book transactions on ebay.   I bid or pay what I feel is the value for any given book.  If it is overpriced, I may watch it, but I don't usually bid.

If the seller seems to have tacked on money for profit - above the worth of the book,  I don't bid.  Even for so called rare books, there are always new listings that show up eventually. 

I have been trading on ebay since the beginning.  I would guess 99% of the time I am happy with the transaction.

I pass on a lot of stuff, as there are many "hopeful" sellers out there.  Again, not really trying to rip people off, but just hopefull to get a bite.

Ebay doesn't care how anyone prices anything.  It is up to the marketplace to shake things out.

As for Avengers 57 --

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R4.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XAvengers&_n...

Go for it.

Even when I am telling a lie I am truthful. 🙂 Rick
Message 30 of 73
latest reply