cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Stop Dishonest Comic Book Sellers?

I am an experienced comic book collector and I know grading very well - and can easily distinguish a comic book in poor condition from a comic book in VF to Near Mint condition. However, it irritates me when I see dishonest comic book sellers jacking up prices of comic books that do not line up with the price of the comic book or books far above the actual value listed in the comic book price guide.

( apart from CGC graded comic books).

For example: here and on Amazon I was looking for a copy of Avengers #57 ( 1st App. of Vision) whose condition is around 6.0 to 8.0 (Non-CGC).

Now the Current Comic Book Price Guide (CBPG) indicates that this particular issue is priced between $68 and $245. The seller revealed that the Non-CGC copy was established at 7.0 and I would expect to pay a reasonable price between $100 and $235.

(I comprehend that such a seller needs to make a bottom line so I  assume that the seller tacks-on additional charges to the price of about $20 or $25 dollars - at most 30. - Plus shipping and state taxes etc.)

But the post also indicated FREE Shipping (included in the price. The price was $650.00! And I can, perhaps gain some leeway to sentimental value as well - but this was just rediculous! The seller was attempting to take advantage of uninitiated buyers and acquire $415 dollars more that the actual value of the book itself.

Fact of the matter is - is when I am hunting for various issues that I might want to buy or am considering purchasing -  I encounter dishonest sellers like this plastered almost everywhere and I am damned fed-up with these MoFos -- seriously!

The pricing should be gleened with respect to the current CBPG (comic book price guide) prices. (But for BUY-IT- NOW ITEMS ONLY - NOT AUCTIONS).

I want to Blow the Whistle on these creeps because they ARE Taking advantage of ignorant buyers and I am just sickened by it - and it makes me mad!

I would like to know if there is some tyoe of reporting system here on eBay or way to PUT an END or STOP to these dishonest sellers who overprice comic books and magazines against CBPC prices. In addition to this there is no real reason why CGC prices also do not correspond to CBPG prices since there is no mention of them ANYWHERE in current CBPG price listings. I can understand that the comics graded by CGC are fairly expensive to get GCG`ed and they do a fair job as well as with resored comics, etc. However Non-CGC comic books and magazines can be fairly garded simply by examining them closely (minus actually takeing images of each inner page) - that it`s details should be accurate according to the seller and should NOT be taked out of the bagged and boarded comic book copy and phtographed as this irritaes collectors who do not want the prospective issue to be handled before reception as it could add devalument, spine damage or further damage inadvertently. 

The main question then becomes how to Report / Stop or Ban dishonest Comic Book/magazine sellers who overprice such books and magazines above the actual CBPG prices - not only on eBay but also on Amazon and other selling arenas.

PLEASE DO NOT INFORM me I am wrong on this issue - or that it is OK somehow because a "New Movie" is coming out which may feature the vision as Tales to Astonish is overpriced because of the Gaurdians of the Galaxy movie features "Groot"  which is in TTA #13 and expalin it away with Supply and - Demand stories because I just know better.

Ty for your attention:

= Mark =

Message 1 of 73
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to Stop Dishonest Comic Book Sellers?

The best thing you could do for noobs is write a guide and share your knowledge. Then they to can bypass the sellers who over charge which will eventually make them stop over charging or stop selling.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/search/writing-guide.html

You can call me Tony

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

There is nothing you can do.  Ebay is not interested in the word of one expert collector vs another.

It is good that you are a savvy consumer and can protect yourself.

As far as the less savvy, ebay's MBG is buyer's heaven.  They can return anything and it will cost the seller twice.

It takes only a few defects for a seller to be removed.

“Community just got a facelift, thanks to you! No, really. You told us it could be better & we changed it.”
Message 2 of 73
latest reply

Price guides are just that, guides and people Are free to price their items as they see fit. I am sure that there are a number of comic books, coins, stamps, etc that sell for multiples of guide. Thevsuperman comic that sold here for 3.2 mil., what price did the guide have for it. That being said, yes there are sellers here that overprice their items, a practice that I suspect goes back thousands of years and will go on for thousands of years to come. Should ebay deprive someone of their ability to support themselves because you believe their prices are to high? The only suggestion I can make is if you don't like the price, find someone that has a price more to your liking. Those who charge too much will be weeded out by the buyers and they will go out of business.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 3 of 73
latest reply

Winter is correct.  Any buyer who isn't happy with what they received balanced with what they paid for it is able to return the comic book for a complete refund. They may file a case against the seller of Significantly NOT As Described.  They can cause a DEFECT to be placed against the seller, leave the seller negative feedback remarks, and ding the seller's DSR stars.  Buyers are very well protected by eBay when they make use of all the policies eBay has in place for them.

You will never get eBay to close down the comic book seller(s) you disapprove of.  You may be *an authority* on grading, etc. but it doesn't carry much weight here.  You need to watch out for your own purchases.  After that, you can't Mother Hen other buyers. 

Message 4 of 73
latest reply

The best thing you could do for noobs is write a guide and share your knowledge. Then they to can bypass the sellers who over charge which will eventually make them stop over charging or stop selling.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/search/writing-guide.html

You can call me Tony
Message 5 of 73
latest reply

The Post I made refers to BUT-IT-NOW Items ONLY - NOT Auctions, so there is no reason to reference the superman issue which was up for auction recently and crossreference it with respect to the CBPG. However, if you want the CBPG price the CBPG lists it for close to 2.5 mil at 9.0. Action Comics no. #1  - not sups no.#1 (correction). Auction items for comic books differ to buy-it-now items as they are direct purchases as opposed to auctions which people bid for items.

Thus your point although taken into great considerations is irrelavant on this particular point. (moot).

Message 6 of 73
latest reply

To assume that there is nothing one can do to rectify the current situation with dishonest sellers on eBay or Amazon is to invite failure and enable crooks.

Obviously, your support of such activities is immoral from a Bias point of view - people like yourself encourage crime as if it`s OK to rip people off who do not know the they are being ripped-off by dishonest sellers, and throw people to the streets justbecasue of a peice of paper that have an assumed value socioeconomic value. It`s universally accepted and that`s just the way it is - death is part of life. good is evil and evil is good. 

Do you know what a narcissistic disorder is?

While of course this WAS your opinion, you make it appear as if there is an impossible equation for anyone who fights against dishonest people - and crime associated with it - people you support just by your opinion.

Fact is, there is one other option to your negative respone and that is taking them to court.

Problems have solutions not the other way around.

It`s the same thing as saying it`s alright to murder your best friend or your relative. On the other side of this coin is the fact that you made the post intelligably enough to make it look as if your the right soulution to the problem  - and so become socially agreed with argumentitively - and that is atypical of an individual who is bias toward dishonest sellers until it happens to yourself.

this is not a game, it`s unethical business practice.

Message 7 of 73
latest reply

To assume that there is nothing one can do to rectify the current situation with dishonest sellers on eBay or Amazon is to invite failure and enable crooks.

Obviously, your support of such activities is immoral from a Bias point of view - people like yourself encourage crime as if it`s OK to rip people off who do not know the they are being ripped-off by dishonest sellers, and throw people to the streets justbecasue of a peice of paper that have an assumed value socioeconomic value. It`s universally accepted and that`s just the way it is - death is part of life. good is evil and evil is good. 

CBPG says it is only worth 245 at most not 700 as in the image.

While of course this WAS your opinion, you make it appear as if there is an impossible equation for anyone who fights against dishonest people - and crime associated with it - people you support just by your opinion.

Fact is, there is one other option to your negative respone and that is taking them to court.

It`s the same thing as saying it`s alright to murder your best friend or your relative. On the other side of this coin is the fact that you made the post intelligably enough to make it look as if your the right soulution to the problem  - and so become socially agreed with argumentitively - and that is atypical of an individual who is bias toward dishonest sellers until it happens to yourself.

Message 8 of 73
latest reply

I think you misnderstood Winter's post.

What she is saying is that reporting to ebay will do nothing. That comes from experience on the boards and seeing numerous reports go unanswered. Just because she knows ebay will do nothing does not mean she condones the behavior. In fact if she hadn't already posted that I may have added it to my post. The goal is not to discourage you from reporting, it is inform you of the reality of ebay.

Other buyers will be protected by ebay's money back gurantee should the seller send a comic that is not in the condition they describe. While ebay should not be protecting them from their own ignorance they will if the buyer simply says "not as described". So even if the seller is trutrhful but pricey the buyer can still get a mulligan for their bad buying decision courtesy of ebay.

Also the images only prove that the sellers are over pricing their merchandise. While it may not be a good business practice I personally cannot see any court of law taking any action for a business pricing themself out of their market. What law would they be breaking?

You can call me Tony
Message 9 of 73
latest reply

Wait -- slow down here.  Some of this is starting to overstep the bounds of rationality.

Guides are just that -- guides.  The information they provide may or may not be worth something.  And if the price in a guide is based upon averaged information, that means that some prices were below the guide's price, while some were above.  A guide is simply a guide; it is not Federal Law or Regulation.

It is not, in and of itself, a crime to ask more than the price listed in some guide, or the appraised price of an item.  In some cases, it may be stupid, but it is not a crime.  And if someone pays that price when the item is available for less elsewhere, it --again -- may be stupid, but it is not a crime.

It's a comic book, for Heaven's sake.  To equate an egregiously over-priced comic book with murder is really out of line.  You've brought up for who knows what reason the subject of a personality disorder ... one I will guess you are unqualified to diagnose, most especially from some message over the internet.  I'll refrain from commenting on the equation that an over-priced comic book is equivalent to murder, but I know what it looks like.

Message 10 of 73
latest reply

There is nothing to report.Sellers are free to price their items as they wish.

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 11 of 73
latest reply

sellers can start their items at any price they want.
bidders / buyers determine if an item sells,
and for how much.

doesn't make a seller dishonest.
doesn't make a buyer being taken advantage of.

all unseen purchases, and not just on ebay,
are buyer beware.

el compredendo?
sour grapes at competetion making more $$ than you?
Message 12 of 73
latest reply

One just sold on (eBay) auction Sep 6th for $1364.69.  Bidding started at 99 cents.  I'm sure a lot of sellers upped their price after that.

==============================
Enjoy today, Tomorrow it will be gone!
Message 13 of 73
latest reply

It isn't just comic books, I see it all the time in all the catagories. A lot of sellers have no idea the true value of their items.

I often see items for sale for over ten times their actual value. Really nothing you can do but not buy from them.

I recently replaced my cordless phones at home, found the model I liked, priced it on eBay then checked the manufacturers website. Ended up buying direct from the manufacturer brand new for a couple of bucks more then I could find the cheapest refurbished unit on eBay.

You really have to do some research before you buy anything unless it is just so cheap it isn't worth your time. I don't think I would ever research much more than a few minutes on a ten dollar purchase, even if you ended up getting it for half that price after a couple of hours searching what is your time worth.
Message 14 of 73
latest reply

@comicmartusa wrote:

Keep tilting at those windmills.

Ebay is never going to take one user's opinion over another user's opinion regarding listings.  Nor do they hire disinterested third party experts to police the millions of listings for possible deceit.

Do you want a competitor to be able to contact ebay and based on their opinion ebay removes your listings?

It is a free market and people are permitted to ask any price they can imagine for their items. It is up to each buyer to become an informed consumer.  Do not worry, ebay protects those who do not care to protect themselves.

As for the rest of your Reductio ad absurdum, well, I hope that you were just having a bad evening.

“Community just got a facelift, thanks to you! No, really. You told us it could be better & we changed it.”
Message 15 of 73
latest reply