cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does PGX Rating Bring Down The Value Of A Comic?

Over the years I have tried to sell a number of PGX rated comics with very little to no success.  Similiar comics rated CGC were no issue for me to sell.  I have contemplated taking the comics out of their PGX case and sell them outright as a raw ungraded comic.  Please give me your two cents worth on what you think of my question.  It may be kind of hard to believe taking a book out of it's case but when buyers seem to "turn up their nose at the PGX rating I feel it may be a good option.

Message 1 of 176
latest reply
175 REPLIES 175

Just wanted to add that a better comparison would have been Coke and Pepsi. Much the same, but still very different to people who prefer Pepsi or Coke. Ebay now has a certain time limit for editing posts - what's next?Robot LOL

Message 76 of 176
latest reply

There are good reasons why PGX slabbed comics are not worth as much as cgc slabbed books are. There have been several scandals surrounding pgx over the years. From grading and selling their own comics for profit (an extreme conflict of interest), to switching out books from their own collections that are in lower grade for submitted high grade books. Their legitimacy is questionable, and as a result, many collectors are wary of buying pgx books even though the cases are effectively the same as cgc. Its the graders that people arent sure about. That being said, a pgx book should still be worth the same as a raw book in the same condition, I'd just buy it, crack it open, and submit it to cgc.
Message 77 of 176
latest reply

If it's worth even as an exercise for yourself for the future, consider getting the pgx graded by cgc ... At least you'd know for the future
Message 78 of 176
latest reply

That could get to be fairly costly.

Message 79 of 176
latest reply

If you would like to recieve much less for your book when you go to resell then by all means send it to PGX.

If your book is especially rare and you send it to PGX it will be more then likely get be assumed it was tampered with.

Any collector who has a high end high grade book will not send the book to PGX unless they are uniformed or just plain ignorant. Its not a question of ethics even though PGX has been implicated in multiple scams its a monetary value thing.

If I know my book goes to CGC and gets a 9.8 and its value will increase by 500% why would I send it somewhere else and get less?

Message 80 of 176
latest reply

http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX/

All you need to know. 

Any seller who's trying to sell a PGX graded book and passes them off as legit immediately gets put on my 'do not buy from EVER' list. 

Message 81 of 176
latest reply

No, the rating itself does not. Only the opinion of the buyer of the grading accuracy does that. To that end i will state this.
1. I have only seen 2 comics in the last 10+ Years, graded by CGC, that i did not agree with the grading on.
2. I disagree with the grading of a lot of the PGX graded books.
3. I have personally sent in a book to CGC ( Cap 1 specifically ) two times and received 2 different grades.
4. I have never sent a book to PGX.
5. Of the last collection i looked at to purchase ( about 25 PGX graded books) i disagreed with virtually all the listed grades. All were 1-2 full grades too high. I showed the seller CGC graded books listed at lower grades that looked better than the PGX higher graded books
6. The last CGC collection i bought (about 60 books) all were correctly graded in my opinion.
Mike Tickal
Message 82 of 176
latest reply

@carmsadoll wrote:
3. I have personally sent in a book to CGC ( Cap 1 specifically ) two times and received 2 different grades.

You'll love this one: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7446591&fpart=1

Two different CGC books, Blue labels graded years apart, are cracked out and sent in, and both come back with a Purple label!

Message 83 of 176
latest reply

Hey Mike, out of curiousity, did you ever get a chance to see the entire Hawkeye collection before it got sold piece by piece?

Message 84 of 176
latest reply

This is the most comprehensive comment I have found on this subject. Excellent answer!

Message 85 of 176
latest reply

Great news!

PGX values are up!..... when trading in bitcoin.

In all other currencies they remain worthless

Message 86 of 176
latest reply

PGX or CGC, as a buyer I'd still want to have a look inside. Its got a nice cover and back and looks like the pages could all be there; all pages are there because CGC or PGX say so. So then, you open it 10 years later and find an advertisement had been cut out taking with it some of the stories on the other side. Your valuable book would now be an incomplete book! Investors might never bother to check and no one would ever find out.

Message 87 of 176
latest reply

@sun_blaze9857 wrote:

PGX or CGC, as a buyer I'd still want to have a look inside. Its got a nice cover and back and looks like the pages could all be there; all pages are there because CGC or PGX say so. So then, you open it 10 years later and find an advertisement had been cut out taking with it some of the stories on the other side. Your valuable book would now be an incomplete book! Investors might never bother to check and no one would ever find out.

You have got to be the biggest retard on this board. I don't believe you  even have the mental capacity to read an entire comic book.

Message 88 of 176
latest reply

Comment on the discrepancies of CGC regrading:

Leave well enough alone!

Message 89 of 176
latest reply

Guys. I know it's a late post but is there ANY updated info on the whole PGX or CGC is better thing? I've got Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe #1-4 sketch variant covers I'd like to have graded and sealed.

Who should I go with.
Message 90 of 176
latest reply