cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does PGX Rating Bring Down The Value Of A Comic?

Over the years I have tried to sell a number of PGX rated comics with very little to no success.  Similiar comics rated CGC were no issue for me to sell.  I have contemplated taking the comics out of their PGX case and sell them outright as a raw ungraded comic.  Please give me your two cents worth on what you think of my question.  It may be kind of hard to believe taking a book out of it's case but when buyers seem to "turn up their nose at the PGX rating I feel it may be a good option.

Message 1 of 176
latest reply
175 REPLIES 175

Oregon super scammer R. E. lives there

PGX is a laundry mat

Message 31 of 176
latest reply

Ive always liked the CGC vs. PGX debate thet goes on everywhere comics are discussed and debated. I have over 4000 Silver Age books slabbed by CGC and about 100 by PGX. The truth is that CGC graded books sell better than PGX graded books. I'd say from my experience that PGX books sell for about 20% less than a CGC graded book of the same grade. We can debate all day that CGC has never really had a good word to say about PGX thus the large rift between the two companies. Reading threads over the years, you can see that CGC loyalists have flooded the industry with negative feelings toward PGX. This bad press has caused many to think twice before submitting to PGX. Even at the shows i sell at, almost all foreign investors only want CGC graded books. I'm not sure which is better at grading. I don't really know any of them personally except a "hello" at the shows they attend. I can only hpe that the do the right thing and run their companies with honesty and integrity. One can always hope!

Message 32 of 176
latest reply

sometimesyoufly
Enthusiast

All the PGX apologists in this thread are hilarious.

PGX is two guys, working out of a garage, where the "head grader" not only brings the books home with him to grade, but also sells the freshly-slabbed books (yes, the books that he's graded himself) on eBay under a number of shill accounts.

They carry zero insurance for your books whilst they're grading them, and reward people who submit large amounts of books with entirely-undeserved 9.9 and 10.0 grades.

They have a "Signature" program where they've actually "witnessed" the signatures of creators who died prior to the program being instituted.

Their lax grading and sub-par restoration detecting skills make them a perfect match for numerous scammers & crooks in this business who take full advantage of the benefits of being associated with a 3rd party grading company - mid-grade, restored keys suddenly show up in the PGX gallery as unrestored, high grade beauties.

CGC is not perfect, but, man, you'd be better off just flushing your hard-earned cash down down the toilet than sending your books to PGX.

Message 33 of 176
latest reply

I have bought may PGX and CGC graded books on ebay, but only if the price is around the Overstreet value plus half the slabbing cost, and I have found PGX to be just as good as CGC for the most part and actually better in the 9.0 and higher grading.

I believe CGC is highly over-rated and abuse of their services by dealers and collectors is not good for the comics market. There is bound to be a bust if the madness continues. I don't blame CGC for much of the abuse, such as selling Modern Age comics at a 200 -300 percent premium, but I do blame CGC for trying to capitalize on the abuse by advertising their services make a comic worth more.

A CGC OR A PGX COMIC BOOK SHOULD NOT BE WORTH ANY MORE THAN THE APPROXIMATE OVERSTREET VALUE PLUS THE COST OF SLABBING.

Message 34 of 176
latest reply

I have stated before that the one advantage of professional grading is the restoration check. This is more valuable than their opinion on a grade. This holds true more for expensive items. Nobody is mandated to agree with a given grade. Another point; I don't understand the negative accusations without proof to back it up.

Message 35 of 176
latest reply

A CGC OR A PGX COMIC BOOK SHOULD NOT BE WORTH ANY MORE THAN THE APPROXIMATE OVERSTREET VALUE PLUS THE COST OF SLABBING.

Why?
Message 36 of 176
latest reply

Primarily because a graded 9.4 (or whatever) is no different whether it is in a plastic case or not. Hold a 9.4 of any book unslabbed in your hand and a slabbed 9.4 in the other. Why pay several times more for one in the plastic case? Of course, the comparison presupposed the buyer and seller both agree on the grade.

But even if a book is graded by CGC does not mean the buyer must accept that grade. I've seen CGC 9.8s with a full 1/4 to 3/8 miswrapped cover and other production defects that would lead me to downgrade to at lease VF. CGC does not consider production mistakes in grading when they should. Don't assume because CGC says 9.4 that its the same as any other 9.4.

The buyer should not be expected to pay multiples for a book in any grade just because it's been slabbed.

Message 37 of 176
latest reply

Sounds to me like somebody who has a lot invested in CGC and is writing fantasy tales in hopes of securing his investment by lying about the competition.

Message 38 of 176
latest reply

Primarily because a graded 9.4 (or whatever) is no different whether it is in a plastic case or not. Hold a 9.4 of any book unslabbed in your hand and a slabbed 9.4 in the other. Why pay several times more for one in the plastic case? Of course, the comparison presupposed the buyer and seller both agree on the grade.

But even if a book is graded by CGC does not mean the buyer must accept that grade. I've seen CGC 9.8s with a full 1/4 to 3/8 miswrapped cover and other production defects that would lead me to downgrade to at lease VF. CGC does not consider production mistakes in grading when they should. Don't assume because CGC says 9.4 that its the same as any other 9.4.

The buyer should not be expected to pay multiples for a book in any grade just because it's been slabbed.

Let's just stop and think about this for a second.  If a guide says that a book is worth 100 $, but it regularly sells for more than 100 $ in the ACTUAL marketplace.  The guide is obviously wrong.  Just because Overstreet says something is worth X dollars, doesn't make it so.  Comics are worth whatever people will pay for them.  In this case the Overstreet guide is simply wrong as they don't accurately reflect what the market has, and continues, to pay for a vast amount of books.  National dealers who have a reputation for solid grading also get prices similar to their CGC counterparts for a lot of books.  If you want to live by the Overstreet GUIDE, feel free but it just doesn't accurately reflect reality.

Message 39 of 176
latest reply

I think acceptance of PGX into the marketplace can only do good and the misinformation should stop. PGX has had it's Terrance Leder scandal and CGC is still limping from Jason Ewert. I've dealth with both and find them very comparable. Both have their strengths and both have their faults.

Message 40 of 176
latest reply

You are right about that. But it's about the best we have right now and it is a GUIDE. It's up to the buyer to bring some sanity to the market. If not, a bust is coming.

Message 41 of 176
latest reply

I Love to search for CGC and PGX comics on ebay and watch so many of these overpriced books go unsold. Check it out.

Message 42 of 176
latest reply

You are right about that. But it's about the best we have right now and it is a GUIDE. It's up to the buyer to bring some sanity to the market. If not, a bust is coming.

The buyer is bringing sanity to the market, he's paying what the book is actually worth while Overstreet continues to limp along slightly updating prices that haven't been usuable in about 15 years.  If prices begin to go down it's due to the market falling, not any attempt to get back to some false sense of Overstreet "balance".  It really tells you something when collectors and dealers are willing to pay non-collectors Overstreet prices for nice books they have found or inherited.

Message 43 of 176
latest reply

I think acceptance of PGX into the marketplace can only do good and the misinformation should stop.

Misinformation would imply that the comments about PGX are false.  They simply aren't though.  If there was another professional grading company other than the CGC, that WOULD be a good thing.  Unfortunately there is not..

Message 44 of 176
latest reply

Have to disagree with you on that one. There is another reputable and reliable service but so many have invested so much money in CGC that they won't accept competition. It's a threat to their investment. So there is a lot of misinformation about both CGC (usually in support) and PGX (usually in criticism) because of that factor.

Message 45 of 176
latest reply