cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does PGX Rating Bring Down The Value Of A Comic?

Over the years I have tried to sell a number of PGX rated comics with very little to no success.  Similiar comics rated CGC were no issue for me to sell.  I have contemplated taking the comics out of their PGX case and sell them outright as a raw ungraded comic.  Please give me your two cents worth on what you think of my question.  It may be kind of hard to believe taking a book out of it's case but when buyers seem to "turn up their nose at the PGX rating I feel it may be a good option.

Message 1 of 176
latest reply
175 REPLIES 175

It's been claimed on these boards that PGX is unable to detect very slight restoration, specifically tiny color touches.  I take those who make that claim at their word, but generally I would consider buying a PGX graded comic if priced competitively.  Still, one wonders about how "good" they are overall.

This is not to imply that CGC is totally great -- I can cite examples of definite errors they've made, like labelling a 30-cent issue of Ka-Zar a "price variant" when collectors know that that issue exists only at 30c.  It's these types of mistakes that prove the CGC graders sometimes lack experience that they really should have.

Message 2 of 176
latest reply

To better answer your question, I can only speak for myself but I would prefer that a given comic be in a PGX holder rather than raw, even though I would likely still want to see front & back cover scans and evaluate as to whether I want to bid.  This is especially true for mid- to lower grades.

In other words, the PGX grade would be interesting to me and offer assurance that a 3rd party has examined the book, and while my decision to bid would not be based on the grade PGX assigned, I don't see how their service could bring down "value" -- at least not the value I place.

Message 3 of 176
latest reply

I don't think a PGX graded book is less valuable than a raw book but the maximum prices will always come from a CGC book at the same grade.

Message 4 of 176
latest reply

Thanks for your comments guys . . . much appreciated!  IMO it seems like raw comics basically same grade bring equal or more dollars than PGX graded book. 

Message 5 of 176
latest reply

Somehow that makes no sense to me! PXG's opinion on a grade is as good as anybody's in the hobby. (Well! Maybe not some ebay sellers.) You still get the book preserved in that plastic holder! I had a Spider-man#28 graded by them that they found color touch on the cover.

Message 6 of 176
latest reply

PGX not PXG-sorry!

Message 7 of 176
latest reply

Don't get me wrong DD I have nothing against PGX.  I just think that books graded by them are a "hard sell" on eBay.  Maybe it's just me . . .

Probably because the stories about them have gotten around enough.  While I don't think they should sell at a discount, I wouldn't pay any sort of premium for a PGX book.

Message 8 of 176
latest reply

zanny14
Enthusiast

I used to be active on the CGC message boards when PGX (and the other guy, 3GP) first started up.  I can tell you two things with 100% confidence:

1) Every negative thing you hear about PGX originated on the CGC message boards.

2) As much as they whined about PGX, they whined ten times as much about CGC.

People used to complain that PGX couldn't detect color touch.  But then they also used to sting CGC all the time by cracking open purple labels, sending them back in, then gleefully pointing out when CGC didn't catch the resto the second time around.  CGC used to miss trimming too.

Second most common complaint was that PGX's holders were inferior.  Based on what I don't know.  I've had comics graded by both companies, and I think both holders are awesome.  PGX stacks a little easier, but so what.

As to who is the better grader, the answer is neither.  Neither publishes standards, so when they call a book 8.0 vs 8.5 you don't know what they think the difference is.  All the slab buys you is the assurance that somebody not immediately profiting from the sale has examined the book and offered their opinion.

Message 9 of 176
latest reply

Thanks Zanny for the great report.  I appreciate your comments . . .

Message 10 of 176
latest reply

I used to be active on the CGC message boards when PGX (and the other guy, 3GP) first started up.  I can tell you two things with 100% confidence:

1) Every negative thing you hear about PGX originated on the CGC message boards.

2) As much as they whined about PGX, they whined ten times as much about CGC.

People used to complain that PGX couldn't detect color touch.  But then they also used to sting CGC all the time by cracking open purple labels, sending them back in, then gleefully pointing out when CGC didn't catch the resto the second time around.  CGC used to miss trimming too.

Wow.. where to begin..

1.  So?  It's probably one of the three most active message comic book message boards and is home to the largest amount of graded comic collectors.  Where else would you expect ppl to have in-depth knowledge on the subject?  This made no sense.

2.  Again, so?  It's a CGC message board, they have graded 100 times more books then PGX and are the far more known entity.

That's very odd, I posted on the CGC forums at the very near beginning and still read them today.  I don't recall there ever being "stings" where collectors would "all the time" gleefully resubmit restored labelled books to get blue labels.  Sounds made up.  Regarding trimming, yes they did miss Ewert's books.  Do you think PGX would've caught these?  I'd hope anyone out their willing to buy graded books has enough sense to stay away from PGX, but collectors have proven me wrong so far.

Message 11 of 176
latest reply

zanny14
Enthusiast

Everything I posted is factual to the best of my recollection.  Since you don't even know me, to challenge my recollection is just stupid.  To say it sounds made up adds petty onto stupid.

The point is that PGX and CGC are identical in every respect, including resto detection, grading ability, and consistency.  CGC has been around longer is all, and has had vocal fans baselessly slandering the competition since day 1.

Message 12 of 176
latest reply

zanny14
Enthusiast

Oops, almost made a liar out of myself.  PGX and CGC are not identical in every respect.  PGX is less expensive and faster.  And in Oregon.  Apologies for the slight.

Message 13 of 176
latest reply

Everything I posted is factual to the best of my recollection.  Since you don't even know me, to challenge my recollection is just stupid.  To say it sounds made up adds petty onto stupid.

The point is that PGX and CGC are identical in every respect, including resto detection, grading ability, and consistency.  CGC has been around longer is all, and has had vocal fans baselessly slandering the competition since day 1.

You're right I don't know you therefore your recollection is obviously fact and beyond reproach.  Fantastic follow-up to your original post, well done!

No actually they're not, and your inability to see that makes you about as credible as Daniel Peterson himself.  (see if you can recollect on who that is)

Message 14 of 176
latest reply

A little background regarding the shady side of PGX.

http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX/

Message 15 of 176
latest reply