cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does PGX Rating Bring Down The Value Of A Comic?

Over the years I have tried to sell a number of PGX rated comics with very little to no success.  Similiar comics rated CGC were no issue for me to sell.  I have contemplated taking the comics out of their PGX case and sell them outright as a raw ungraded comic.  Please give me your two cents worth on what you think of my question.  It may be kind of hard to believe taking a book out of it's case but when buyers seem to "turn up their nose at the PGX rating I feel it may be a good option.

Message 1 of 176
latest reply
175 REPLIES 175

Re: Does PGX Rating Bring Down The Value Of A Comic?

I'll like to shine in on this whole CGC vs. PGX debate. Yes CGC started grading comics first but that doesn't mean in NO SHAPE, FORM OR FASHION better than PGX. Ford motors was created before Chevy but does that mean they make a better vehicle?
Grading is SUBJECTIVE which means an estimate NOT accurate grade. Do any of these graders from either company have a Masters degree in comic grading? I think not. It seems to me that many CGC supporters are scared of competition. Every business from fast food to electronics have competition. Its all personal choice.
After all the smoke on the battlefield clears if you feel in your heart of hearts that you have a more "SUPERIOR" grade just because you overpaid for the service and waited half a year for your books (just kidding but you do wait like a month) then God's Speed my friend.
I've used both CGC and PGX in the past but prefer PGX. PGX's holder secures the book better than CGC. Oh and as far as the Ford vs. Chevy example, I prefer Honda or Nissan 😄
Message 151 of 176
latest reply

Hello all!

I am a comic book fan and collector for most of my life. been collecting roughly 20 years on and off.  I recently got into grading. I have used CGC, cbcs and pgx.  I want to say first off that I have meet some really great people who do signature witnessing with cgc. and some really good sellers who are just great people and work with me on big ticket purchases.  CGC has some serious issues with customer service and many many many fans of cgc are really in it for the money when it should be about the love of comics.  I have sent emails to cgc regarding questions and concerns about some comics and how to submit.  most times i never get a reply.  there was a really bad issue just recently when their new cases potentially damaged books.  they appeared wavy and a ton of newton rings.  they offered to reslab them but i had to complain and get them to pay for shipping again.  just a ton of issues regarding my comics and wait time.  they grade way to harshly in my opinion.  there is also a major conflict of interest with cgc.  they can charge you a higher rate for comics if they deem it is a higher grade.  so whats to stop them from saying a hulk 181 is 9.0 instead of a 7.0 to charge you a few hundred extra dollars? I used PGX for some other comics and I had some minor issues mainly they took a day and a half to get a comic from the post offic i mailed them.  however the turn around times were on time and fast.  grades were about what i expected.  they have flat rates and dont charge an arm and a leg if you have a high grade older book.  cbcs is great also.  the turn around times are long but they keep me informed and up to date.  they offer many services that cgc does not. any way sorry for the long rant.

Message 152 of 176
latest reply

Hello,

Yes, there are many issues both pros and cons when it comes to grading. It is definitely not a simple thing as sending in a comic and having it slabbed & graded. CGC is not what it original was, and CBCS is going to go a little beyond just to get into this market. PGX is still around, not much else going on there. It's just having a 3rd party's opinion, and the slabbing for added protection and sales factor, etc. For grader protection I resort to archive backing and Mylar, also just make sure storage areas are clean and within acceptable humidity range. I haven't seen very much deterioration - keep them in a dark place, get them out every now and then. People say I could use the extra space for other stuff, but I can't sell them either. I don't care much about value and just collect because I like my collection the way it is.

With all said, I am no longer interested in grading and slabbing debates. Do what is best for you at that particular time. If you send in a book make sure you insure it if it is anything valuable. Insurance will protect your valuables to some degree. If you want to get premium dollars then it might be a good idea to send in your book for grading and slabbing. But make sure you insure something of value. Insurance doesn't guarantee, but at least you have some protection when things go missing. I guess, you can look at valuable comics like valuable paintings - keep them safe.

Message 153 of 176
latest reply

Message 154 of 176
latest reply

I personally will not touch a PGX book unless I get it at a great price.

If you want to truly test the value of PGX vs CGC vs CBCS, then pick books that are the same title, issue number and grade and watch to see what they sell for- typically I have found that PGX goes for much less. Lately, CBCS seems to be the buying choice when it comes to return on investment.
Message 155 of 176
latest reply

Well, I haven't liked the fact that dealers have had input to the Price Guide for a long time...and I also feel many of these same big dealers have CGC in thier hip pockets and drive the market up to line thier own wallets.  I am not going to single any one dealer out but they are in Florida, Denver, Chicago , New York, and  California.  For me they are ruining an enjoyable hobby and making it so only people with no real interest in comics can invest and turn a buck.  The comic collecting community suffers from this kind of overt manupulation!

Message 156 of 176
latest reply

If PGX graded books sell for much less, shouldn't people be buying them up and sending them to CGC, which will likely give them the same or higher grade, then relist them on Ebay in the CGC slab? Seems like you could print money with this method.
Message 157 of 176
latest reply

Because with fees the way they are now,it evens out.

Message 158 of 176
latest reply

looks like you work for cgc..that propaganda!!..lol
Message 159 of 176
latest reply

Boy IM I disappointed in PGX company's grading skills. Does PGX stand for Personally Graded Xcrap? After looking at 100s of PGX graded comics I have to say **bleep**? Who is doing the grading? Obviously little skills in accuracy and it shows. The holders are something to be desired & look as though they were superglued by children. Biggest problem many comics put into holders NOT EVEN close to the actual grade. **bleep**? REALLY?

They need to get it right, their riding on the coattails of professionals and obviously amateurs. The"CLOWN" that owns the company is a copycatter and actually doing a very poor job at it. Often SO FAR OFF TIME AND TIME AGAIN. There an embarrassment to the hobby...CHEAP IS CHEAP their professionals in that field....
Message 160 of 176
latest reply

cute handle (if not self deprecating)...better handle...dumbeldolores...
Message 161 of 176
latest reply

I just sent a Golden Age 1.0 PGX to be regraded by CBCS and since it was missing a back cover it was given a 0.3 grade.  Apparently the store told me that 'PGX doesn't mention missing back covers becasue you can see it through the slab'.  People should know that a 1.0 PGX might be a 0.3 with CBCS for this reason.  I think CGC and CBCS are definitely tougher on grading, and PGX is good for authentication, although they supposedly can miss restoration work.

Message 162 of 176
latest reply

Ok

Message 163 of 176
latest reply

Hello All,

This thread has been going on for more than 6 years now.  Congrats on its longevity.

Without flaming others or the Slabbing companies . . . What do see as the biggest changes in the comic slabbing world since the initial post over 6 years ago?

I do have a box of comics stashed away, that I plan on having Slabbed before selling; so I am keenly interested in the current state of Comic Slabbing.

Again, please no flaming.

I Hope You Are All Having An Extraordinary 2017!
Sincerely,
Bruce "ImaPaqRat" Fisher
Remember: People don't stop playing because they grow old; they grow old because they stop playing! So, NEVER STOP PLAYING!

Message 164 of 176
latest reply

I have never sent a book into PGX for grading but I have sent books to CGC several times. To be honest, as others have mentioned even CGC doesn't always get it right. 
I saw a Conan the Barbarian #1 graded 9.8 CGC with a definite corner crease. This in my eyes automatically removes it from 9.8 status.
As comic sales go however, in my experience PGX books generally sell for less than CGC books. CGCS books on the other hand don't seem to bring any less than CGC.
If your just looking to protect your book(s) and get a second opinion PGX is probably the cheapest route but at this stage I would lean towards CGCS or possibly CGC. The price would be higher and the wait longer but I think slightly more reliable.

Message 165 of 176
latest reply