cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does PGX Rating Bring Down The Value Of A Comic?

Over the years I have tried to sell a number of PGX rated comics with very little to no success.  Similiar comics rated CGC were no issue for me to sell.  I have contemplated taking the comics out of their PGX case and sell them outright as a raw ungraded comic.  Please give me your two cents worth on what you think of my question.  It may be kind of hard to believe taking a book out of it's case but when buyers seem to "turn up their nose at the PGX rating I feel it may be a good option.

Message 1 of 176
latest reply
175 REPLIES 175

Re: Does PGX Rating Bring Down The Value Of A Comic?

Some are modern, some are golden and silver age. Missing a few issues from having a complete run of uncanny and have duplicates of some of the issues that I would sell, but know I need to get them graded first. Who Are the graders and restoration expert?
Message 136 of 176
latest reply

By the way,here is a list of what of some my comics that I think are "key" to the history of comics that I was talking about.
Captain America 76-78 by Timely
Avengers #4 vol 1 have a couple of copies
X-Men #1 have 2 copies
Iron Fist #14
Incredible Hulk 181 have 3 copies
This is just a couple of issues from my collection from over 20 years, but like I said before, a majority of my collection is what you consider raw. I was just wondering who the graders and restoration people where since I am looking at both and trying to study up to make an informed decision.
Message 137 of 176
latest reply

@scrappy8554 wrote:
By the way,here is a list of what of some my comics that I think are "key" to the history of comics that I was talking about.
Captain America 76-78 by Timely
Avengers #4 vol 1 have a couple of copies
X-Men #1 have 2 copies
Iron Fist #14
Incredible Hulk 181 have 3 copies

Nice! Actual keys, I'll be damned.

@scrappy8554 wrote:
This is just a couple of issues from my collection from over 20 years, but like I said before, a majority of my collection is what you consider raw. I was just wondering who the graders and restoration people where since I am looking at both and trying to study up to make an informed decision.

All of CGC's info is on their website, with pictures of the employees too. PGX is just the opposite, they tell you nothing.

And remember, you do NOT need to sign up for a membership to submit your books to CGC, and you can still get a free 10% discount. Just use Option 3, and remember you do NOT send your books to the Internet Partner, you're just using them for the free discount.

Message 138 of 176
latest reply

I have been thinking about decasing some of my older CGC slabs. Makes little sense to take 'em out, but maybe I should just take 'em out and bag and board them the right way. I am also so currious to see if the inerts are rotting away, but they look ok from the outside.

Ok, so  like 4 years later, here's my 2 cents (updated and improved).

1. CGC is more trusted than PGX.

2. CGC was the first successful comic grading company.

3. CGC was the first company to make it possible for anyone to send in their comics, get them graded, slabbed nicely, and then sell them for what they were worth (or more, if buyers were willing to pay).

4. CGC also had Wizard Magazine and Heritage Auctions to promote their products and helped get their name and product situated within the industry. 

5. CGC is out ther promoting their product and service. They continue to move forward and work with collectors and the industry as a whole

6. CGC is out there!

Message 139 of 176
latest reply

and...?

Message 140 of 176
latest reply

OH my God ! brilliantly said!

Message 141 of 176
latest reply

@t_oquendo wrote:

OH my God ! brilliantly said!

I assume your'e refering to the post where BPM smacked Zanny14 in the face with truth and logic?

Message 142 of 176
latest reply

and...?

... the market holds out that CGC comics sell better than PGX.

Does PGX Rating Bring Down The Value Of A Comic? Probably not.

Everyone knows that CGC books will sell quicker anf for more money than PGX books (veterans get tired of hearing that). Like some 3 years later is PGX still in existance? I guess so, since their site is still up and looks like they are still in the slabbing business. Are we still debating the cons and pros of going CGC or PgX? Probably not, but maybe just not here. Robot Indifferent

Message 143 of 176
latest reply

I have sent books to both CGC and PGX. The same book in fact' Iwas tired of all the debate and wanted to know myself. I sent 5 books to CGC and 5to PGX. When they returned, I documented the grades, took pictures, then sent the books to the other company(CGC graded to PGX and vice-verca) when they came back I documented and took pictures. Here's the deal, they wew almost identical. In 2 cases CGC rated a book .2 higher than PGX. So I dumped a but load of cash on this experiment but it seems to me that really they are very similar. I got the same basic results from both. CGC rated a bit higher not enough to make much difference to me. CGC cases are more esthetically pleasing. PGX case is the best in the industry, but its bland.CGC has been around longer and is more trusted. But I feel my experiment though only with 5 books show the grades are similar. It becomes a personal preference I believe. PGX is cheaper. But so is CGBS which dose good work in my opinion also. I like CGC but I wouldent blindly use any company, not even when they tell me credentials. I know lots of medical school graduates, but only a few would I let be my doctor. To me its about results and money. PGX for me has shown they get the same grading results as CGC. So for my collection I'd use them. If I'm selling a book I use CGC right now because simply there are too many people right now who just won't buy unless it is CGC. The funny fact in all of it is the rating is till only good for 7 years both company's say after that they need to be unslabed re graded and slabed. So if you buy anything older than a 7 year old grade, technically your not getting what you pay for, that's really stretching it as I believe they would pro ally grade the same or close. But grading is subjective and I have sent a comic back for regrading and got different results. Any way just wanted to put that out there for ya if any of you were interested.
Message 144 of 176
latest reply

@konckubar wrote:
I sent 5 books to CGC and 5 to PGX. When they returned, I documented the grades, took pictures, then sent the books to the other company(CGC graded to PGX and vice-verca) when they came back I documented and took pictures. Here's the deal, they were almost identical. In 2 cases CGC rated a book .2 higher than PGX. So I dumped a but load of cash on this experiment but it seems to me that really they are very similar. I got the same basic results from both.

Thanks for sharing. I have read essentially the same story many times over coming from others, but regardless of how often it is repeated, there are people who will accept nothing but CGC for grading and will go out of their way to trash PGX. As I have stated previously, I have been using PGX for grading for years. I have gotten hundreds of comics graded. Before I send each comic off for grading, I make a note of what I expect the comic to grade based on my detailed assessment of its flaws. Over 99% of the time, the comic is returned to me with the expected grade or one grade higher or lower than expected. There is only one instance I can remember where I thought the comic should have graded a couple of grades higher (8.0 instead of 7.0), but I know that this happens with CGC occasionally as well. For example, I read of an instance where a Journey into Mystery #83 graded 6.0 unrestored, 7.0 restored, and then 6.0 unrestored again when it was submitted to CGC on three separate occasions.

To give my most recent feedback, I sent 10 comics off for grading by PGX a couple of months ago. Current listed turnaround time for modern and standard service is 20 days. My order was on its way back to me after two weeks, which is a week ahead of time. Also, PGX e-mailed me when they received my order, and they e-mailed me when my order was shipped. Because I had some comic magazines I wanted to get graded, I sent two of them off to CGC over a week prior to sending the order to PGX. Current listed turnaround time for economy magazine grading is 35 business days (7 weeks). As of now, it has been over 8 weeks since my order was received by CGC. Also, CGC does not notify you of when your order is received or shipped as PGX does; you would have to pay a yearly fee to be a CGC associate in order to track your submission. To compare PGX and CGC across these two orders, I paid $8 more per comic to wait over 4 times as long for my comics to be graded by CGC. And this is only in regard to comic magazines. Had I submitted regular-sized Bronze Age comics (pre-1975) as I did with PGX, then I would be paying $15 more to wait 50 business days (10 weeks) or more to receive my graded comics from CGC. And can anyone tell me what the point is of CGC having an estimated turnaround time and a current turnaround time listed side by side on their website if they cannot even meet their supposed current turnaround times? Anyway, I am glad that the only reason I needed to use CGC was for comic mag grading because I have no desire to use them again in the future.

Message 145 of 176
latest reply

i have found through my experience that there usually close to the same in high grades but i did submit 6 books i bought that were pgx sent them too cgc the results were 2 8.5s turned too 9.0s 2 9.0s were now 9.2s 1 9.0 a 9.4 the last was a 9.2 that came back a 9.2 this was with books grade from 2010 too 2012 the books from pgx that were graded  before 2010 seem too be the same or worse than cgc and now the newer books after 2012 seem to be the same the early pgx had some problems and also there were fake pgx books on the market that gave pgx a bad name and the prices have reflected this early opinion even till today stay away from the books that say cgc world or pgc world 

now 2014 you have cbcs grading and this company scares me a little in the fact they grade harder then cgc and pgx aswell they have caught on quick the grades seem to reflect the way people used to grade books when there were no certifiers i know before i ever bought a cgc and pgx book my 8.0s were 9.0s and 9.0s 94s this looks to be how this new company grades from what i have seen and friend experienced sending a couple books from each pgx and cgc that were 9.4s they came back 2 9.0s 1 9.2 this could have been from shipment but they looked the same on scans when they were returned  i myself now will only use cbcs and pgx because of the price although i have dropped a couple books of in sarasota at dark side to be cgcd for resale most likely i will use cbcs but thats because i live in palmetto florida exactly inbetween cgc and cbcs there both a 25 minute drive from my house so cbcs shipping will be cheeper than pgx that is in oregon  

AS TO THE QUESTION CGC BOOKS DO SELL FOR MORE DO THE PGX BOOKS GO DOWN IN PRICE I WILL SAY NO  I MUCH RATHER BUY A SLABBED BOOK ON THE INTERNET THEN A RAW 1 THAT IS CLAIMED TOO BE A 9.2 9.4 AND ESPECIALLY THE 96  98S   ive seen to many raw books way over graded that sell for way too much m,oney   

sorry about the caps it was ment too stand out not yell

Message 146 of 176
latest reply

This is the silliest comment ive EVER seen. Why grade your personal collection? Um, I dont know...perhaps you wish to insure it? The overall value of collection jumps astronomically? Just to name a few reasons. House burns down and you want fair payment from the insurance for your loss? Anyone with a serious collection of comic books, even one you never intend to sell, should consider grading.
Why wouldnt you want to increase the value of what you have? The only way to do that significantly is a professional evaluation.
That was seriously the most absurd comment ive ever read.
Message 147 of 176
latest reply

I will use PGX for me there right down the freeway from me so my books won't have to travel far that's when grades go down getting beat up in the mail
Message 148 of 176
latest reply

Ok buying the pressing and or an kind of restoration services company is brilliant and not a conflict. Cgc grading takes restoration into account anyway. This may lead to restoration and conservation improvement
Message 149 of 176
latest reply

CGC is far too expensive, take too long grading and returning comics and are way overrated. I have sent books to both cgc and pgx to get them graded, removed them from the slabs, and sent them to the other grading service. CGC is far too loose on old comics. They grade older comics much higher than PGX. And CGC is too hard on new or modern comics. I have found that PGX grades modern books a half grade to a grade higher in many cases than CGC. PGX has much better customer sevice, pricing, turnaround times, and a far supperior slab. All in all, CGC actually sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 150 of 176
latest reply