cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does PGX Rating Bring Down The Value Of A Comic?

Over the years I have tried to sell a number of PGX rated comics with very little to no success.  Similiar comics rated CGC were no issue for me to sell.  I have contemplated taking the comics out of their PGX case and sell them outright as a raw ungraded comic.  Please give me your two cents worth on what you think of my question.  It may be kind of hard to believe taking a book out of it's case but when buyers seem to "turn up their nose at the PGX rating I feel it may be a good option.

Message 1 of 176
latest reply
175 REPLIES 175

Re: Does PGX Rating Bring Down The Value Of A Comic?

Pointing out that someone is keyword spamming, which they are, is a personal attack now? News to me. And if "searching through your old feedback" means "clicking on your feedback and reading the auction titles on your immediate feedback page", I guess I am guilty of that. Good attempt at soap boxing a response and completely ignoring the subject.
Message 121 of 176
latest reply

@bpmcomics wrote:
Pointing out that someone is keyword spamming, which they are, is a personal attack now? News to me. And if "searching through your old feedback" means "clicking on your feedback and reading the auction titles on your immediate feedback page", I guess I am guilty of that. Good attempt at soap boxing a response and completely ignoring the subject.

Yes, it is a personal attack because it is directed toward me (a person). What does my keyword spamming have to do with the quality of PGX grading? Nothing. I could be the worst keyword spammer on the planet, and it it has no bearing whatsoever on the CGC vs. PGX debate. In philosophy, it is called an ad hominem argument, which essentially is directing one's criticism toward the opposing party rather than sticking to the merits of one's argument regarding the topic at hand.

So yes, it does seem it is news to you. Seriously.

Message 122 of 176
latest reply

@comicdiablo wrote:

@bpmcomics wrote:
Might want to stop keyword spamming CGC on all of your PGX listings. You know since you are so pleased with PGX's product. Not to mention the raw books that you included "CGC em" on, surely you meant "PGX em"?

Wow, so now you're searching through my old eBay listings to find something, anything, that you can use as a personal attack against me instead of addressing the topic? You really are dedicated to CGC, aren't you?

Some would call it investigative journalism so as to show (with facts) you to be the hypocrite you are, but that's probably just semantics, right? Either way, it's pretty embarassing, so you've got that going for you....

@comicdiablo wrote:

...and from reading numerous CGC forum posts.

What's your ID on the CGC board?

Message 123 of 176
latest reply

@comicdiablo wrote:

@the_q_collection_sucks wrote:

@bpmcomics wrote:
Might want to stop keyword spamming CGC on all of your PGX listings. You know since you are so pleased with PGX's product. Not to mention the raw books that you included "CGC em" on, surely you meant "PGX em"?

Classic!

cheers

Yes, far more classic than your current eBay feedback score of 0, or the fact that you joined eBay just a few days ago, probably to respond to this thread...

Are you really this naive? In fact, April 23rd was my 16th anniversary on Ebay! Joined in 1998...

Message 124 of 176
latest reply

@comicdiablo wrote:

@bpmcomics wrote:

Yes, it is a personal attack because it is directed toward me (a person).

That's a load of horse shit.

@comicdiablo wrote:

@bpmcomics wrote:

What does my keyword spamming have to do with the quality of PGX grading? Nothing.

It proves what you're trying to deny, that you actually think CGC is the better company than PGX. 

@comicdiablo wrote:

@bpmcomics wrote:

Yes, it is a personal attack because it is directed toward me (a person). What does my keyword spamming have to do with the quality of PGX grading? Nothing. I could be the worst keyword spammer on the planet, and it it has no bearing whatsoever on the CGC vs. PGX debate. In philosophy, it is called an ad hominem argument, which essentially is directing one's criticism toward the opposing party rather than sticking to the merits of one's argument regarding the topic at hand.

Your argument has no merit, therefore there is no ad hominem attack. Thanks for playing!

Message 125 of 176
latest reply

@comicdiablo wrote:

If I wanted to attack you personally, I'd call you an idiot.  But I'd never do that, even if you are (probably), I'm merely pointing out that you are a hypocrit by spamming "CGC" on your PGX auctions and "CGC em" on your raw auctions.  I'm surprised you wanted to continue on this discussion because you have clearly lost and are resorting to trying to redefine the terms of a "personal attack".  Somewhat sad, really. 

Message 126 of 176
latest reply

@bpmcomics wrote:

@comicdiablo wrote:

If I wanted to attack you personally, I'd call you an idiot.  But I'd never do that, even if you are (probably),

That's true. In the 10 years I've been reading Murph's posts, I can't remember a time when he just came flat out and called people names. That's more my gig, I like letting idiots know that it obvious they're an idiot.

Message 127 of 176
latest reply

I have spoken my piece on the issue, and neither one of you is worth my continued time or effort; thus, I shall end with this post. 
It never ceases to amaze me how many people there are in the world like the two of you who think they know what they're talking about but are dead wrong. So, as I depart, let me try to break it down for you one more time:

The topic of debate in this thread is PGX grading. To focus your criticism on me (a person engaged in the debate) instead of on PGX grading is a tactic called an ad hominem attack (a personal attack). It is a tactic that is often used when someone has a weak argument and thus decides to resort to criticizing the person with the opposing viewpoint instead of sticking to the topic of the debate (PGX grading). Calling someone names (such as an idiot) or otherwise insulting that person is also an ad hominem attack, but it is a specific form of it called an abusive ad hominem (personal) attack.  Again, my keyword spamming has nothing to do with PGX grading, and it adds nothing to your argument, nor does it detract from mine.

As for the real reason behind mentioning CGC in my past PGX auctions, it doesn't take much of a brain to realize that CGC is hugely popular compared to PGX. For example, an eBay search within the Comics category reveals nearly 3000 listings with "PGX" in them and over 60,000 listings with "CGC" in them. So, my keyword spamming was related to popularity and had nothing to do with the quality of PGX or CGC grading.

By continuing to focus your petty criticism on me, the two of you have actually succeeded in making yourselves look asinine and making your arguments look even weaker than they already were. It's a bit saddening that neither one of you has the proper motivation or mental capacity to realize that, but I'm wise enough to know when it's time to abandon a hopeless cause.

Message 128 of 176
latest reply

@comicdiablo wrote:

I have seen comics from both CGC and PGX on which I disagreed on the grade. Usually, this is the difference between NM+ and NM or between VF/NM and VF+ (not far off). Since grading is somewhat subjective, such discrepancies are understandable. In my experience, however, the most horribly graded comic I have seen out of hundreds was from CGC. It was a CGC 9.6 NM+ New Teen Titans #2 (First Deathstroke). The comic had several stress lines on the spine. In my opinion, without even looking inside of the book, this comic should have been graded 9.2 NM- at best.

I have never gotten comics graded with CGC, although I have purchased and sold many. One advantage that CGC has is that they grade magazine-sized comics. Because I have some of those, I will have to use CGC in the future, unless PGX one day offers that option. I have gotten hundreds of comics graded with PGX. I have never been very dissatisfied with the grades I received from PGX, and it's not because PGX tends to overgrade. It's because the grade they assign has never been far off from my estimated grade. In fact, CGC and PGX grade quite similarly. I cannot speak for Silver Age comics or older and can only speak for grades ranging from 7.0 on up because I am a collector of high-grade comics from the Bronze Age and later. Personally, I prefer PGX holders to CGC holders. They have less visual appeal but are more durable. In terms of price, CGC is more expensive than PGX. For me, the advantages of PGX outweigh the disadvantages.

And of everything I said, this is what I said that mattered the most because it was the most pertinent information I provided in regard to the topic of this thread, which unfortunately is easy to lose sight of when there's so much useless static being introduced by certain individuals with a CGC-or-die attitude.

You two boys have fun now.

Message 129 of 176
latest reply

@comicdiablo wrote:

By continuing to focus your petty criticism on me, the two of you have actually succeeded in making yourselves look asinine and making your arguments look even weaker than they already were. It's a bit saddening that neither one of you has the proper motivation or mental capacity to realize that, but I'm wise enough to know when it's time to abandon a hopeless cause.

This is being said by the guy it took five posts to figure out what the difference between a personal attack and pointing out hypocracy.  Too funny.  Well, I guess since we've contradicted pretty much everything you've said to date on PGX, it would be a good time for you to take your ball and go home.  Thanks for stopping by!  Feel free to stop by again if you'd like to be further educated on PGX. 🙂

Message 130 of 176
latest reply

@comicdiablo wrote:

@comicdiablo wrote:

I have seen comics from both CGC and PGX on which I disagreed on the grade. Usually, this is the difference between NM+ and NM or between VF/NM and VF+ (not far off). Since grading is somewhat subjective, such discrepancies are understandable. In my experience, however, the most horribly graded comic I have seen out of hundreds was from CGC. It was a CGC 9.6 NM+ New Teen Titans #2 (First Deathstroke). The comic had several stress lines on the spine. In my opinion, without even looking inside of the book, this comic should have been graded 9.2 NM- at best.

I have never gotten comics graded with CGC, although I have purchased and sold many. One advantage that CGC has is that they grade magazine-sized comics. Because I have some of those, I will have to use CGC in the future, unless PGX one day offers that option. I have gotten hundreds of comics graded with PGX. I have never been very dissatisfied with the grades I received from PGX, and it's not because PGX tends to overgrade. It's because the grade they assign has never been far off from my estimated grade. In fact, CGC and PGX grade quite similarly. I cannot speak for Silver Age comics or older and can only speak for grades ranging from 7.0 on up because I am a collector of high-grade comics from the Bronze Age and later. Personally, I prefer PGX holders to CGC holders. They have less visual appeal but are more durable. In terms of price, CGC is more expensive than PGX. For me, the advantages of PGX outweigh the disadvantages.

And of everything I said, this is what I said that mattered the most because it was the most pertinent information I provided in regard to the topic of this thread, which unfortunately is easy to lose sight of when there's so much useless static being introduced by certain individuals with a CGC-or-die attitude.

Murph and I have been at this for a while now, and this is the type of "final" post we see a lot from PGX supporters. They get all mad when their precious PGX gets dismantled, and then they go for the "personal" stuff or just deflect, deflect, deflect. 

But I agree with you, a lot of pertinent info gets overlooked - by you, PGX supporters. I ask PGX supporters "who are the graders for PGX? Who is the resto expert and what are his credentials? Can you show me proof they have adequate insurance? Why can't I visit their facility?" and on and on. Of course, I can answer all these questions if posed about CGC, but PGX supporters always seem to ignore this pertinet information.  So either put up or shut up, answer the questions or you get no right to complain.

Message 131 of 176
latest reply

And it's funny, someone with the name "comicdiablo" has been posting on the CGC Board the past couple days. She bumped this thread : http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7446591&fpart=73 which was over 2 months old. She thanks them for the recap and the info, but ironically, that's the wrong thread. That thread only contains half of the information, and doesn't consider the thread  Litch started. So here we have it, proof that even when Comicdiablo thinks she knows what she's talking about, she really only knows half the story (at the most). Fitting, eh?

Message 132 of 176
latest reply

I ask PGX supporters "who are the graders for PGX? Who is the resto expert and what are his credentials?

You mean the retro expert for trimming?

Message 133 of 176
latest reply

Can you answer those questions for me. I have several books that have been graded by CGC, but have never sent in any myself. I have several from my collection that I want to get graded since over 95% of my collection is not graded and I have key issues that I want graded and started reading this thread and looking online to see what the difference is. I am considering taking some to Wizard World Atlanta so they can be graded but just want as much information as I can. Thanks!
Message 134 of 176
latest reply

@scrappy8554 wrote:
Can you answer those questions for me. I have several books that have been graded by CGC, but have never sent in any myself. I have several from my collection that I want to get graded since over 95% of my collection is not graded and I have key issues that I want graded and started reading this thread and looking online to see what the difference is. I am considering taking some to Wizard World Atlanta so they can be graded but just want as much information as I can. Thanks!

The only reasons to get a book slabbed is for the resto check, and if you're going to sell it. Are your "key" books Moderns?

Message 135 of 176
latest reply