cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Comics be shipped through the USPS as Media Rate

Can anyone say definatively yes or no? Some clerks will accept packages for this rate and others say No...claim its "Magazines and has advertising" etc. Its been a crap shoot at the post offices I use and I'm tired of getting burnt on large shipments if I can in fact ship Media Rate. They end up using this other rate that maybe saves a dime called Printed Material but is a variable rate based on where its going by Zip Code so many times its about the same as First Class. Tonight at the 24/7 Post Office I figure it cost me an extra $40. I try to kkep my shipping cost to a minimum to my customers but its getting to be a losing proposition when the post office will not cooperate! Please advise and thanks for input Tony
Message 1 of 533
latest reply
532 REPLIES 532

"OPENED FOR INSPECTION BY USPS"

was stamped on a box of comics I received today via Media Mail. No problems. Shipped from Michigan to Arizona.

(thanks, comicloversdream!)
Check out my "ME" page for a link to The Corral - sweet freedom is at hand!
Message 106 of 533
latest reply

illuminated
Enthusiast
"OPENED FOR INSPECTION BY USPS"

was stamped on a box of comics I received today via Media Mail. No problems. Shipped from Michigan to New York.
Message 107 of 533
latest reply

lol - was it from comicloversdream or zillaf4?
Check out my "ME" page for a link to The Corral - sweet freedom is at hand!
Message 108 of 533
latest reply

My postal clerk showed me the new media mail stamp that they're using which says "media mail - subject to inspection". He said, your comics are fine, but people were using the mm rate to send clothes and car parts and stuff, so they've had to crack down to prevent abuse.
Message 109 of 533
latest reply

So I'm judging by the last few posts that we've now shut the lid on the controversy (yeah, right!) and can safely say that comics can indeed be shipped via Media Mail because the Post Office has said so?

That's good because the guy on the P&S board called me a "criminal" for shipping comics with MM!
~
Message 110 of 533
latest reply

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=1000128630&tstart=0&mod=1131557604644

Ha-Ha!
Message 111 of 533
latest reply

Gosh darn it! It appears this ID has used its daily allotment of board posts with this here post. Who will take up arms against the evil P&S bloviators?! Is there a champion of light, right and goodness? What say you?
Message 112 of 533
latest reply

Already done.
Message 113 of 533
latest reply

You're on your own. Herr bulkmail just informed me that the DMM was changed... so the loophole no longer exists!
Message 114 of 533
latest reply

Bound Printed can Frequently be CHEAPER then Media Mail

Here is a chart that will show when it is cheaper
http://www.upperaccess.com/bpm.htm

and here is a place to make a Zone Chart that is customized to your location
http://www.upperaccess.com/bpm.htm
Message 115 of 533
latest reply

As has been stated many times before BPM gets thrown in the garbage if there's any problem delivering it - even if you have a return address on it. (I've heard you have to write something about returning to sender if undeliverable all over the package if you don't want them to throw it away. Personally I was shocked to find that the USPS throws mail in the garbage. That's because BPM was originally intended only for junk mail. I don't consider comics I sell on eBay that someone's paid for junk mail - so I won't risk sending it that way.)
~
Message 116 of 533
latest reply

NO---Bound Printed DOES NOT get thrown in the garbage if you do one simple thing with your label

Under the return address print

"RETURN SERVICE REQUESTED"

if it undeliverable, it will be returned
Message 117 of 533
latest reply

Okay!

I'm still not using because of the people who've told me that when the postman sees "BPM" he doesn't always check for the return service message and chucks it.

Oh, who told me?
Postmen.
~
Message 118 of 533
latest reply

capt.steel : Media Mail is also considered to be a 'Low Class' method of mailing and is not treated as nicely as you may want your 'Treasures' to be treated.
Message 119 of 533
latest reply

Well---I have heard the story told the other way--by a Postman. As long as the message is there, it will be returned Make it visible---don't just squiggle it underneath the address

Another tip to save money on heavy boxes.
---if it going to Zone 1,2 or 3 from your destination, Parcel Post is frequently the cheapest method
Message 120 of 533
latest reply