cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Comics be shipped through the USPS as Media Rate

Can anyone say definatively yes or no? Some clerks will accept packages for this rate and others say No...claim its "Magazines and has advertising" etc. Its been a crap shoot at the post offices I use and I'm tired of getting burnt on large shipments if I can in fact ship Media Rate. They end up using this other rate that maybe saves a dime called Printed Material but is a variable rate based on where its going by Zip Code so many times its about the same as First Class. Tonight at the 24/7 Post Office I figure it cost me an extra $40. I try to kkep my shipping cost to a minimum to my customers but its getting to be a losing proposition when the post office will not cooperate! Please advise and thanks for input Tony
Message 1 of 533
latest reply
532 REPLIES 532

As I recall, not all reviews were positive. Will be interesting to see who steps up to the plate now.
Message 91 of 533
latest reply

nikkidlovely
Enthusiast
I have had problems lately trying to send media mail from one post office. One package was actually returned to me saying I owed $2.12 after it was inspected. However, you are supposed to be able to send anything with advertising "BOUND PRINTED MATTER" which is actually cheaper than media mail. Look at the USPS website for detals, or ask a postal worker (if they even know).
Message 92 of 533
latest reply

tokyodays
Enthusiast
Actually, bound printed matter is MORE expensive than Media Mail, with regards to the fellow who stated such.

Frankly, no balls or sweet thing, no glory vis a vis having the PO pick up a fairly obvious comic book box... I dunno. Even when I use Diamond shipping boxes, I cut them inside out so that the PO doesn't get suspicious.

For that matter, I'm thinking of indicating on the return address something that implies I'm a book dealer rather than a comics dealer. As far as my relationship with the local PO, I get along with all of them. Don't ask, don't tell.
http://www.chrisjuricich.com/eBay_pics/apic.JPG
Message 93 of 533
latest reply

ringfinger1999
Enthusiast
They know what you are shipping, just takes one overzealous worker to kill it for you.

BPM has to be under 15 pounds or so I believe.
Message 94 of 533
latest reply

tokyodays
Enthusiast
My point exactly. Really-- it may be a question of being ballsy or its femme equivalent to ship comics in obvious comics-related shipping boxes. But I won't do it-- you're right: one zealous or OVER zealous postal worker can screw the pooch for you without any effort.

The key is to ship from one local place where you've established a relationship of...well, disinterest or trust. It's certainly not 'trust' because I don't advertise my being a comic book dealer. My return address says nothing about comics, just name and address.

My local guys, for the most part, don't know what I ship and they don't particularly care. One guy there is kinda zealous; he gently reminds me that any package with electronic tracking needs to be .75" thick or it won't be tracked, etc. So-- I just stick some extra lightweight bubblewrap in and poof!
http://www.chrisjuricich.com/eBay_pics/apic.JPG
Message 95 of 533
latest reply

A real concern about sending comics book rate or media mail is that the post office reserves the right to open your package and examine its contents (I have had this happen) and then determine if the contents merit being sen media mail, AND if they do not like the contents, they can reclassify it and the person who the package is being sent to has to pay the differnce between media mail and 1st class mail. Once a fellow mailed me a box with comics, cds, loose filler paper and instead of using packing peanuts it was wrapped in towels and the postal clerk considered the towels as non-media mail and so there was postage due of $27.00 on the box.

I don't know about anyone else, but I really don't want postal employees going through my box of comics, especially if there are valuable ones in there.
Message 96 of 533
latest reply

ringfinger1999
Enthusiast
I agree. I still want to try and get them to pick up the boxes, would save me a lot of effort.
Message 97 of 533
latest reply

ringfinger1999
Enthusiast
Okay, bottom line, I can ship many placed Parcel Post for the same price as media. If course, I have to say theur are irreular due to size, no problem there. So, is it safe to say if i schedule a pickup, have 1 piece of priority, and the rest parcel post or media, they will pick-up for free? Even if it is 10 long boxes?

Help here.
Message 98 of 533
latest reply

rawk_gurl
Enthusiast
I recently sent out a shipment that contained one Flat Rate Priority Envelope, 2 boxes of comics, a 30lb box of laserdiscs all marked Media Mail, and a 55 lb Laser Disc Player they were picked up just like any other shipment no hassles with just the one priority envelope.
Message 99 of 533
latest reply

ringfinger1999
Enthusiast
I am all over it. I have 14 long boxes of orders outstanding, I will schedule a pickup and see what happens. Sice of toting them to the post office. And most will be Parcel as the price is the same, so no chance of the quastion coming up.

Thanks!
Message 100 of 533
latest reply

55ever
Enthusiast
Message 101 of 533
latest reply

ringfinger1999
Enthusiast
It worked, yahoo. Now if I could only do it with international orders.
Message 102 of 533
latest reply

Update! I am still shipping comic books out via media mail with absolutely no difficulty! that is all...
Message 103 of 533
latest reply

ringfinger1999
Enthusiast
Cool.
Message 104 of 533
latest reply

ezram152
Enthusiast
Hi,
I use a print your own stamps/shipping label program run by Stamp.com. I haven't had any problems sending out comics so far. Books and comics inside the packages were obviously reading material,or media materials, so I always chose media rates for any books, comics, or videos, then drop them off in one of those blue boxes. The post office will scan the packages and that's it, they're off. I didn't have to wait in line at all. I even have some DC. The postal system will figure it out for you. You pay a fee every month,and I think it's worth it.
If you're standing in line and then talking to bored-outta-their-minds-clerks who won't give you great rates, try joining a program like Stamp.com online or some other postal online service sites. You get a mailing scale, and probably some free stamps.
Message 105 of 533
latest reply