cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Comics be shipped through the USPS as Media Rate

Can anyone say definatively yes or no? Some clerks will accept packages for this rate and others say No...claim its "Magazines and has advertising" etc. Its been a crap shoot at the post offices I use and I'm tired of getting burnt on large shipments if I can in fact ship Media Rate. They end up using this other rate that maybe saves a dime called Printed Material but is a variable rate based on where its going by Zip Code so many times its about the same as First Class. Tonight at the 24/7 Post Office I figure it cost me an extra $40. I try to kkep my shipping cost to a minimum to my customers but its getting to be a losing proposition when the post office will not cooperate! Please advise and thanks for input Tony
Message 1 of 533
latest reply
532 REPLIES 532

Well I've easily shipped over 200 boxes the past year and quite a few of them long boxes so I guess I'll take my word for it. Plus haven't had to kiss anything, must be my sparkling personality. The postmen/women get paid extra for each package they have to pick up so they in fact don't mind. (got that right from the horse's mouth)
Message 76 of 533
latest reply

tokyodays
Enthusiast
Wait-- let me get this straight-- The USPS comes to your home to pick up items for FREE, so long as at least one of them is a Priority Mail packet? So,mmm if I had a dozen packages, they'd come by and pick them up-- for free?
http://www.chrisjuricich.com/eBay_pics/apic.JPG
Message 77 of 533
latest reply

Yep. And you can schedule the pick-up right from their website.....wait for it..... Free!
Message 78 of 533
latest reply

rawk_gurl
Enthusiast
Here's the link https://carrierpickup.usps.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CarrierPickup.woa

I pritn my shipping labels with Paypal and schedule a pick-up, it has cut ALOT of time out of shipping.
Message 79 of 533
latest reply

tokyodays
Enthusiast
So-- what time frame do you have? Do you say-- come in the AM or the PM, kind of thing? Or will they come by at a specific time?

RIght now, most of my items I can simply drop off downtown at the main PO in a special blue box designed for internet printed postage which I print on my computer. It's fine,,, but to have a postal chick or guy come by that would be cool.
Again, what's the time frame or open window?
http://www.chrisjuricich.com/eBay_pics/apic.JPG
Message 80 of 533
latest reply

rawk_gurl
Enthusiast
They don't specify a time, but they always have come in the same 1-2 hr window after lunch here. You can choose from a drop down menu where you want them to pick it up. At your door, by your front door, back door ect.
Message 81 of 533
latest reply

Its the same time your regular mail comes.
Message 82 of 533
latest reply

dpxcomics
Enthusiast
For free?? I thought you had to pay a $10 fee. Is it free now???
Message 83 of 533
latest reply

ringfinger1999
Enthusiast
So, only 1 piece of priority and I can have them pick up multiple long boxes?
Message 84 of 533
latest reply

Yes and yes, unless your sparkling personality has turned your postperson against you. 😉
Message 85 of 533
latest reply

ringfinger1999
Enthusiast
It is quite sparkling, but I get the feeling that the USPS would not pick up 10 long boxes, they would surely question the contents and make me pay parcel post.
Message 86 of 533
latest reply

Ok, no guts no glory.
Message 87 of 533
latest reply

rawk_gurl
Enthusiast
As long as your long boxes do not weigh more than 70 lbs each they will pick them up. There is a 70lb maximum for each parcel. I just sent 2 boxes today over 30lbs. each, one of them Media Mail.
Message 88 of 533
latest reply

ringfinger1999
Enthusiast
They have to know what is in those boxes.
Message 89 of 533
latest reply

ringfinger1999
Enthusiast
Oh my God, I had no idea who I was responding to. You are a mini-legend around here you know.
Message 90 of 533
latest reply