cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Comics be shipped through the USPS as Media Rate

Can anyone say definatively yes or no? Some clerks will accept packages for this rate and others say No...claim its "Magazines and has advertising" etc. Its been a crap shoot at the post offices I use and I'm tired of getting burnt on large shipments if I can in fact ship Media Rate. They end up using this other rate that maybe saves a dime called Printed Material but is a variable rate based on where its going by Zip Code so many times its about the same as First Class. Tonight at the 24/7 Post Office I figure it cost me an extra $40. I try to kkep my shipping cost to a minimum to my customers but its getting to be a losing proposition when the post office will not cooperate! Please advise and thanks for input Tony
Message 1 of 533
latest reply
532 REPLIES 532

I print at home and have the post office pick them up at my front door. As long as there is at least one priority they will pick up unlimited amount of media rate packages.
Message 46 of 533
latest reply

yeah, just use paypal shipping, slap that label over the box opening, and don't abuse media mail with AUTO PARTS or other BS like that, and things should be cool
Message 47 of 533
latest reply

dpxcomics
Enthusiast
As some of you folks know, I live in Venezuela. If you think comics have become a cult for the elite in America, you should see what they have become in Venezuela, where comics of ANY kind are nowhere to be found.

I was sending some comics and a book to a buyer a few weeks ago, but I didn't have a box, so the lady at the courier agency asked me "what are you mailing?" I said "a book and some comics." She then wrote in the slip thingy "book and magazines." Magazines? Appearantly comis is not even in our terminology anymore.

Sometimes I have to explain to people what comics are. "You know, like Spider-Man, Superman..."

I cringe when they use the term "comics" and "cartoon" interchangeably. "Oh, have you seen the newest Justice League comic?" "It's a cartoon, not a comic..."

And for some reason when I say "I sell comics on-line" people inmediately asume I draw them and publish them. (OK, so they know I'm also an artist but come on!)
Message 48 of 533
latest reply

I guess the definitive answer to this thread is: MAYBE

it all depends on whether some jerk has abused your local post office with tons of non reading material sent as media mail. OR you just have a real anal postmaster looking for a scapegoat/something to do.

It would be good for people that know their local postoffice(s) do not accept Comics if they could let us know(zip and part of state), so we know not to ship media rate there.
Message 49 of 533
latest reply

My personal take, not any official Postal policy or anything(though I am sure Ben Franklin, seeing the sad state of reading in our country, would agree) is that ANYTHING that encourages people to READ, should be able to go media rate. Pure advertising doesn't encourage reading, but comics are far from JUST advertising, except for anyone that hasn't read ANY. the Litmus test would be that if someone would PAY MONEY to have it sent, it certainly is not UNWANTED JUNK MAIL, which SHOULD NEVER GO MEDIA RATE.
Message 50 of 533
latest reply

Amen, brother!
Check out my "ME" page for a link to The Corral - sweet freedom is at hand!
Message 51 of 533
latest reply

fulltimer56
Thrill-Seeker
Well said, reots!

Welcome to Fulltimer's Out of Storage Comics & Stuff

Make sure to come visit us at The Corral!! Check my ME page for the link!

Comics Board Birthday Link

Cooks Nook Board Birthday Link

Message 52 of 533
latest reply

secrets1968
Enthusiast
Not only does is the Post Office cracking down on Media Mail, but apparantly they're telling their clerks to abuse customers about it as well. I shipped an actual book yesterday using media mail and the clerk was saying the package was too light, what was I shipping, how many pages was the book and then told me the package would probably be inspected because it was too light (1 lb 3 oz is apparantly not heavy enough to be a book.) I told her they could go ahead and inspect it as long as they package it back up as securely as I had.

Which led me to wonder, has anyone ever had problems with their packages being inspected and not securely repackaged by the inspectors?

Instead of wasting time and money on inspectors they should just come up with a low rate/slow speed shipping option that doesn't give a damn about advertising or no advertising. I know there's parcel post, but most of the time the difference between parcel and priority is so slight you might as well use priority.
Message 53 of 533
latest reply

Regarding a previous post, it is most interesting that if you stick a sheet of music in a box with 1 lb or less of comics it may provide a loophole for qualification. If the clerk asks what's in the box you could say "sheet music and less than 16 oz. of comic books with plastic bags and acid free backing." I'd be interested to hear the response of some of these PO's turning people away.

I was using media mail to ship video games (on CD) and I even told the clerk what was in the box. I had no problems, but I stopped doing it because of problems I've heard other people having. Just because your PO accepts it doesn't mean it won't get rejected somewhere else along the way.

That being said, I just bought some comic books and I selected Media Mail as the shipping method. Personally, I think it would be misguided for a postal inspector to disqualify comic books made in the 1980's because of advertising. The advertisements are historical. Some of them are even cool to read just to "relive the glory days."
Message 54 of 533
latest reply

If the clerk asks what's in the box you could say "sheet music and less than 16 oz. of comic books with plastic bags and acid free backing." I'd be interested to hear the response of some of these PO's turning people away.

So would I. I haven't had to use the loophole yet myself as my PO still doesn't have any problems with me sending comics Media Mail. But I might start including a sheet of music (with the postal regulations for loose enclosures printed on the back side), just in case some nazi-like postal inspector decides to check my packages.
Message 55 of 533
latest reply

Hey look, according to Fallen Angels #1 (1987) on the ad on page 17, my GI Joe #5 is worth $12! I'm rich!
Message 56 of 533
latest reply

tokyodays
Enthusiast
Lots of controversy on this one. My comics-dealing friend talked to the postmaster of our town and she said that HE said that comics through media mail were cool. Despite this, I try not to make much attention to my business. Yeah, I use media mail for any lots that are large and over two pounds, generally, but under a pound they go 1st class or priority, depending.

My local PO knows me and don't ask any questions-- and they know my business, too.
http://www.chrisjuricich.com/eBay_pics/apic.JPG
Message 58 of 533
latest reply

tokyodays
Enthusiast
I've never had an item returned from the Post office, media mail or otherwise. Very reliable service. I like the idea of sticking a pieceof sheet music in the package though-- hee hee! It might not allow qualification, but it's still clever.
http://www.chrisjuricich.com/eBay_pics/apic.JPG
Message 59 of 533
latest reply

illuminated
Enthusiast
I have received many Media Mail packages. I have had 3 or 4 inspected en route. Two of these were very poorly resealed, but made it through okay.
Message 60 of 533
latest reply