cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Comics be shipped through the USPS as Media Rate

Can anyone say definatively yes or no? Some clerks will accept packages for this rate and others say No...claim its "Magazines and has advertising" etc. Its been a crap shoot at the post offices I use and I'm tired of getting burnt on large shipments if I can in fact ship Media Rate. They end up using this other rate that maybe saves a dime called Printed Material but is a variable rate based on where its going by Zip Code so many times its about the same as First Class. Tonight at the 24/7 Post Office I figure it cost me an extra $40. I try to kkep my shipping cost to a minimum to my customers but its getting to be a losing proposition when the post office will not cooperate! Please advise and thanks for input Tony
Message 1 of 533
latest reply
532 REPLIES 532

Re: "I thought we had all agreed that they were not allowed."

Really? You actually thought this? Wow.

Uh, you're kind of living up to the stereotype of a postal employee here...

I don't have a dog in this fight. I was speaking as an official of the Postal Service in order to pass along the official policy with the purpose of avoiding any future problems. I retired at the end of June and at this point I don't consider it a good use of my time to argue with folks that are intent on disagreeing. As for stereotypes, I make it a point to not live up to any -- including reacting to provocation of any sort.
Message 391 of 533
latest reply

or a joke, I guess...

Message 392 of 533
latest reply

Media mail is for unpublished books and mags. I f the post office finds comics in your package they will be sent back to you with no refund. Be cautious if you attempt to send comics via media mail.
Message 393 of 533
latest reply

And so we go. Does this worry anyone that all the former and current employees of the federal government cannot agree on anything. It seems that
the main point of contention seems to be whether or
not it contains advertising. At what length of time does
advertising become collectable and not advertising.
Maybe at the point where you can no longer respond
to the ad and they respond to you.by agreeing to sell
you the advertised product for the listed price. If you
use this as a barometer almost all comics are eligible
for media mail. I have never had a problem shipping
comics via media mail it is without a doubt due to the
individual that you deal with within the USPS, I deal with
a very small post office and they know me and as an
extension of that #1 all media mail packages contain
only books, They also see the handwriting on the wall
that they are losing tremendous amounts of money
they are having their hours cut and finally after many
years that to salvage their jobs they realize that customer service is the answer. They are still bound
by a very rigid set of regulations but in the ten years I
have shipped and bought media mail I have only ever
had a few opened and inspected and in all cases they
processed on through. So anybody that tells you otherwise is absolutely full of it.
Message 394 of 533
latest reply

(Putting on Cliff Clavin hat)

Technically, when it becomes collectible you are no longer shipping information, the point of media mail. You are shipping a commodity.

Message 395 of 533
latest reply

At what length of time does
advertising become collectable and not advertising.
Maybe at the point where you can no longer respond
to the ad and they respond to you.by agreeing to sell
you the advertised product for the listed price.

This argument comes up a lot. Personally, I don't subscribe to it.

Many folks who promote this argument seem to presume that each end every ad in any comic is for a footlocker of WWII soldiers (ripoff pieces of flat plastic, but they burn good) or a subscription to Pizazz. Most advertising (even in comics) is not promoting specific items for specific prices. An ad for Coca Cola never expires. An ad for GAP lasts as long as that store.

To me, they're books. Comics books. Books. I have a half dozen POs within 5 miles of my home. Some have given me crap about Media, so I bring my packages to the others (two of which just escaped this round of The Axe). I agree that any PO shouldn't begrudge any volume coming thru their doors. It is silly.

On a final note, the Post Office wants everybody to send everything Priority. Sure, they get more money. But, if everything is Priority, is anything a priority anymore? I posit that the folks using media mail are preserving the foundation of logic and common sense. Long Live the MMMS!
Best Match is The Devil!

The DEVIL !!!
Message 396 of 533
latest reply

Again I have had a number of packages opened and
inspected both as a buyer and a seller and have never
had an issue with a postal inspector between point a
and point b saying this does not qualify for a media
mail shipment. As far as collectibles being a commodity
maybe, maybe not. Commodoties are oil, lumber, pork
bellies, natural gas, plywood, drywall etc. A New Mutants #1 might be a commodity, a Fantastic Four
#1 is definitely not a commodity.
Message 397 of 533
latest reply

kandbauctions
Enthusiast
My experience with Media Mail shipping. I've sold 10 to 15 lots of 1000 comics in the past 4 years. 1 lot I sold the buyer was charged extra shipping because his PO said that comics don't qualify for Media Mail because of advertising. He argued that the comics were old and the ads in them no longer apply. You can't buy those x-ray glasses for 50 cents anymore.
I've also gotten 3 letters from the PO warning me about shipping comics Media Mail.
But, my other store (which is closed at this time) I've shipped 100's of small packages (less than 25 comics) Media Mail with no problems.
So lots of 26 to 50 comics, I now ship Priority at my loss. And over 51 comics, I ship Parcel Post at my loss.
Just adding my 2 cents.:-)
Message 398 of 533
latest reply

The Postal Service is in the process of closing some of their retail stations. Soon, you won't have as many choices of locations to shop around. It's a no-brainer for the post office to focus first on larger packages -- that is where the significant cost avoidance occurs.
Message 399 of 533
latest reply

I am unable to ship my comic books @ media rate prices because my post office says it is not a book. I have been financially responsible for making up shipping differences on larger lots that I have sold. All because I researched what shipping prices my competition used. Almost all of the " TOP RATED " sellers state MEDIA for shipping. BUT I"M NOT ABLE TO USE IT BECAUSE I AM HONEST AND TELL THE CLERK THAT THERE ARE COMIC BOOKS IN PACKAGE. All luck of the draw or LYING to get media price is absolutely ridiculous. . SO IN ESSENCE NICE GUYS WHO TELL THE TRUTH GET $ TAKEN FROM them while " TOP RATED SELLERS " manipulate the system. Wow ! Its nice how EBAY ducks and covers when it comes to answering this question becuase " TOP RATED " sellers get away with it while the small business owner gets shafted.
Message 400 of 533
latest reply

What is worse, a great many sellers offering media mail are ripping their customers off by charging 2 or 3 times the actual charges.
Message 401 of 533
latest reply

Any dated periodical (includes comics) cannot go as media mail. Anything that was eligible as 2nd class matter cannot go media mail. Advertising has nothing to do with it. Of course you can mail it media, but if it is checked it is liable for increased postage.
Message 402 of 533
latest reply

Just got a FULL long box of comics delivered today shipped MEDIA MAIL from Texas for $24 & change.The folks at the PO made me go in the back and carry it out myself.

Ingrates!Hahahahahahahahahhaha.
Message 403 of 533
latest reply

I have received long boxes a dozen or so times via Media Mail.

No problems.

That said, I'd not have the stones to bring a long box to the counter.

Keep it on the QT and very hush hush.
Best Match is The Devil!

The DEVIL !!!
Message 404 of 533
latest reply

jdhughett
Enthusiast
Regardless of the fact that some people successfully use Media Mail to ship comic books and that some post office clerks don't care, all one has to do is read the official post office Domestic Mail Manual, available online, to know that comic books with advertisements do not qualify for Media Mail rates. I know one could argue that the ads in old comic books aren't really advertisements any more since they are not valid advertising anymore. The offers the ads make are not valid offers. This makes sense but I don't believe it is persuasive because it would require Postal employees to make judgment over whether a book is old enough with no objective stands by which to make such decisions. Not going to happen.

Can anyone say definatively yes or no? Some clerks will accept packages for this rate and others say No...claim its "Magazines and has advertising" etc. Its been a crap shoot at the post offices I use and I'm tired of getting burnt on large shipments if I can in fact ship Media Rate. They end up using this other rate that maybe saves a dime called Printed Material but is a variable rate based on where its going by Zip Code so many times its about the same as First Class. Tonight at the 24/7 Post Office I figure it cost me an extra $40. I try to kkep my shipping cost to a minimum to my customers but its getting to be a losing proposition when the post office will not cooperate! Please advise and thanks for input Tony
Message 405 of 533
latest reply