cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CBCS comic grading has problems with inner sleeves cracking

Recently announced by CBCS comic grading.  They are having problems with inner sleeves cracking during shipment due to different plastic used.   Will not enscapulate comics until better plastic is used.  So it apparently will take a month or longer to fix.  They will be contacting initial buyers regarding bad inner sleeves.  So some ebay buyers may be affected due to this problem.  So the issue is if the inner sleeves didn't crack during shipment initially...will the sleeves crack or warp later?  Could the warping hurt the comic?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: CBCS comic grading has problems with inner sleeves cracking

Though I'm a long time collector, I'm not an investor.. and never have purchased a slabbed comic (or coin, or sports card). However, I do follow the hobby and I find professional grading a necessary evil when prurchasing high value items... for buyer protection more than anything else. That being said, I read the announcement on CBCS' website. Apparently the problem was using recycled PET-G rather than the "virgin" material. I didn't see anything about warping, or any specifics on the cracking (hairline of full fracture). I guess recycled plastic has less impact resistance.. if a slab is dropped, cracks can develop. I don't think they would occur just from normal handling.

I believe CGC uses a different plastic (Barex) and I assume they've had few or no problems, though I haven't researched this. There are a number of CBCS slabbed books being sold on eBay and I don't know if there's a way of determining the slab date (as only the recentingly slabbed books are effected). And how prevalent is the cracking? I wonder if it would just crack spontaneously? 

CBCS contacting the initial buyer may not help too much, as many books are sold multiple times.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I agree that once it is dumped into the open market...and it has that inner flaw who knows what will happen especially if you have a real expensive comic. it might take a month or might take a year...at least CBCS is recognizing the problem and taking action.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

as regards the inner sleeves after time THEY Are warping and curling uP in the case they do not look good sent one back to them and they just took it out the slab AND SENT IT BACK TO ME RAW A BLOODY NERVE. AFTER I PAID FOR IT AND SENT IT BACK TO HAVE IT RESLEEVED I HAVE REPORTED THIS ISSUE TO THEM MORE THAN ONCE BUT IT SEEMS TO BE FALLING ON DEFF  EARS / I WOULD LIKE TO NOE IF ANYBODY NOTICED THIS OR HAS ANY OF CBCS COMICS WITH THIS ISSUE

Message 4 of 4
latest reply