cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoid CGC like the plague

Been a collector for many years and finally took the plunge sending my Hulk #1 to CGC for grading. Spent almost $200 Performing a Huge Mistake. I have seen many comic graded by CGC over the years and mine should have graded at least a 3 but have seen 3.5-4.5 on a regular basis for the condition. Those clowns at CGC graded a 2.5. When contacted they would not even respond to my concerns. Awful customer service, quoting a 15 business day turn around (taking 23 business days) and Not responding to my concerns. Needless to say I am done with that "Business" and will Ballyhoo CGC nonsense till the day I die. Was leary when they started and now confirmation has been had. 1 last note, I dislike their changing the grading system that had been in place so long.

Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Re: Avoid CGC like the plague

You said something about leaving or should we assume you were lying about that too? 🙂
Message 76 of 105
latest reply

I have to reply and answer your questions. And, didn't your mother ever tell you not to just assume things? You have to be certain about things.  Robot Indifferent

Message 77 of 105
latest reply

A quick reply, though. The only reasons a person would slab is when it comes time to sell. There are enough investors out there willing to buy. Just take your prized comic to the next Antique Roadshow and have it appraised; that's the best way to find its value.

Message 78 of 105
latest reply

I think that CGC continues to baffle and confuse many of their customers. As someone who has about 4500 slabbed books, i'd say i got back about 50% of them with the grade i expected. Since their gradind services have started, the debate over CGC has never abated. But as someone who attends about 30 shows a year including the great New York Show, the big "players" in the market look for CGC books as the main option toward purchase. There are some nice raw "key" books at the shows, but their CGC counterparts outsell them all the time. Many buyers who have bought expensive raw books online, conventions, or comic stores have been burned by deceptive sellers selling restored or altered books. So the buyer seeks out the slabbed/graded books rather than worrying about their purchase. I understand the frustration with CGC because i live it every time i send in 30 books. As a seller you must learn to deal with it. As a speculator you must pay the price for it. As a collector you can decide to buy it or not. However you feel about CGC, they are here to stay and will become even more relevant to the comic industry.

Message 79 of 105
latest reply

The industry the CGC has created in GENIUS in my opinion.  But thats not to say that I like the "service" they offer to the hobbyist or feel its valuable.  Who died and made them the COMIC GRADING GOD? IMO, they did it themselves with the support of the people that use their service.  And why would you even need to use their service? Is the grading system that was around prior to their arrival to fandom bad? Or are the grading opinons of collectors and hobbyists in general not good enough? Is CGC and companies like them better than you at grading condition of a comic book?  I personally do not feel they are better in being able to grade a comic book;  In fact, I have seen many books get a grade far less deserving than what I personally thought.  Everyone knows grading comics is SUBJECT to the person looking at it~  Yet many are willing to fork out $60 or what ever it is to grade a book just so the "Comic book God" has their stamp of approval on it.  Its like the unpopular paying to feel accepted by the popular crowd.  Quite honestly, if you wanted your book to be slabbed or encased you can do that yourself for far less money and not pay someone to do it for you and tell you that your book is thos grade when you already know what grade condition it is.  Becaise If you didn't, then you SHOULDN'T be collecting comic books. just a wannabe hobbyist.  Why would you pay them for their opinion of your book!!!?    But the bottomline is this, there are those out there willing to pay them for the service and so naturally, they will be happy to take your hard earned money.  As long as there are hobbyist out there that feel the need for service by CGC and the likes, they will be there.  Caste me to the untouchables, because I for one am not jumping on that pay to feel popular bandwagon~ 

Message 80 of 105
latest reply

There is nothing you can do about it. Once they graded it, you're stuck with the grading. I think it is pretty stupid to have them grade it unless it is in high grade and even a three isn't.

Message 81 of 105
latest reply

Hey Ghosstryda, the reason CGC came into being is because of people like you. In your auctions you say "All books are in unread condition. Gauging condition at about VF to NM, however, grading comic books is subjective, please refer to pictures and description section for details of this particular listing. I estimate my books to be no less than VF (7.5) to NM (9.0) using a comic book grading guide found on ebay's site as reference.

This is how idiots grade. You suck at grading, CGC does not. if it wasn't for losers like you, we wouldn't need CGC.

Message 82 of 105
latest reply

I disagree. That is pretty much how books were listed before CGC came along. If he is providing good scans of the books, I don't see a problem.

Message 83 of 105
latest reply

It doesn't matter if it's 1985, 1995, 2005 or today, anybody who grades like this:  " I estimate my books to be no less than VF (7.5) to NM (9.0)" is either lazy or stupid. It is because of sellers like this that we "need" CGC in the first place. 

Message 84 of 105
latest reply

Stupidman, is that you?

Message 85 of 105
latest reply

Hi my name is Frank! man I just wondering if you could give me your opinion on this Strange Tales 158 cgc 9.4 you thinks it’s been damaged at all inside the case since it’s an older case? Or does it look okay to you?

Message 86 of 105
latest reply

This is so very true.  I've only recently started sending some of my books into CGC and every single "hot" book that I've sent in comes back wayyyyyy lower than anticipated.  I sent in a Thanos 13 that was unread, and structurally perfect.  No spine dings, no corner wear, nothing.  Super glossy.  9.6- No explanation.  I can send in 'regular books' in the same quality and get a 9.8 all day.  

I submitted a Venom: Lethal Protector #1 that I know is in fantastic conditon; been in a mylar since '95 and hasn't been opened.  Very tight corners, still shiny, still smelled new.  With the movie coming out, I thought it might have a bump in value.  I sent it in to CGC and it came back a 9.0.  I was expecting 9.8, so I was floored when I saw the grade.  Grader's notes annotated a center line crease in the cover THAT DOES NOT EXIST, and spine dings that DO NOT EXIST.  I called them and told them they must have mixed my book's grade up with another, but the grader stands by his assessment.

Message 87 of 105
latest reply

CGC is a scam to dupe gullible "investors". Look at the outrageous prices being offered for 1980s / 1990s books, most of which sold in the $2.00 -5.00 range BEFORE cgc. Stores had tons of inventory from the 1980s and 90s that was almost worthless. Along comes GCG to deem even 1990s comics in "mint" as "scarce" if they were 9.8 - 10.  9.0 doesnt even classify as "Near Mint" any more. CGC essentially extracted fake scarcity from copper age comics that were in over abundance. So now a truly "mint" 9.8 or 9.9 /10  copy of Wolverine #1 (1982) will cost you up to $1000 when previously you could get mint copy for $25.00.  Contest of Champions (1982) is now going for about $100 now, before CGC about $4-6 would get you a nice mint copy.

NOTHING from the 80s and especially 1990s is scarce in mint with possibly the exception of a few indies like TMNT or The Crow. Even smaller press stuff like Cerebus is abundant in higher grades.

I've never understood slabbed comics at all. I'd much rather be able to see inside the book, whether in real life or through scans

that trust a faceless "professional grader".  But this is the realm of the "commodities investor" rather than a true collector.

Message 88 of 105
latest reply

DId you bother to read the submission description and who submitted the book for you as there is no tier that charges $200 unless you did a 1 day grading. This sounds more like a user submitting through a third party and getting taken to the cleaners.

Message 89 of 105
latest reply

Fingerprints effect every grade. There is no pass b/c you feel like they shouldn't.

Message 90 of 105
latest reply